• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

In the market for a used RT - need advice

I retired my R850R last year for an 2002 R 1150 RT. Got a good price on it. Had about 40,000 miles and a good service record. Seller was afraid of it because it was out of warrantee. He bought a new GT. The price was right (less than $8,000). I changed the fluids and drove it 10,000 miles last summer. Over the winter, with money I had saved buying a bike with a few more miles, I added a techlusion unit ($200) which absolutely eliminated surging, put Wilburs shocks ($1400)on it, good lighting ($300), and an Aeroflow shield. Now, for under $10,000 I have a bike I love, is personalized, and will run the wheels off of almost anything else on the road. I'm planning a 20,000 mile summer starting in two weeks.

Go with a good used bike if you like the RTs. Make it yours. More than possible for under $10,000--but plan to put some of the money you save into some upgrades. I wouldn't trade this bike for a 1200 RT if I did have the money.

I'd look for a '98 -'00 R1100RT. By that time they had solved all of the early problems and not introduced the new problems (servo ABS and clutch input splines) yet.

Although the 1100RT's lack some of the "improvements" mentioned, they have plenty of power for long distance touring, ABS, and really great lines. 7 - 8K should get you a specimen with low miles and lots of extras; some out there for under 6K. Mine is a 98, bought from a dealer 2 seasons ago with 68K miles, it just turned 100K and runs great. I think the 1100's are a great value, and if I wear this one out, I will most likely get another. Why? The sexy organic lines and the price.

Happy hunting,

Rick

+1 on all those reasons. My 2001 is a great bike. I take at least one 3000 to 4000 mile trip each year on it and also commute on it daily (except for this week with temps over 100). Has nearly 80,000 miles and is going strong. I figure to have it for many years yet.

Here is a good fit for your budget and to get a quality bike that will provide great enjoyment

BMW Motorcycles:

FS 2002 R1150RT
Year: 2002
Make: BMW
Model: R 1200 GS
Price: $8750

Miles: 25000
Color: Red
Engine Size(cc): 1150
Warranty: none

Description: 2002 BMW Red R1150RT, 25,000 miles, Top case & side bags. Tank bag. Rick Mayer Seat. Bar Backs. Cylinder Guards. LT (extended) Front Fender. RS (oval) Mirrors. Cee Bailey Clear Headlight/Foglight Guard. CeeBailey Windshield-Light Gray Tint/Oversize. Priority Plus Stop Light w/Extra LED stop light. New Michelin tires (front & rear), Handlebar Cruise Control. ABS Brakes. Good Condition, No Problems, Needs Nothing. Clear Title, 2nd Owner. $8750.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(enlarge image)

:clap

Congratulations.

With that extra power lane splitting will be that much more tempting. :ha

Scott,

The first word that popped into my head upon reading your post was "incorrigible" :)

I'm thinking a RT-P will be self-splitting. Activate the headlight flasher and the sea of cages will part before me!

I'm having a hard time enduring what is the worst possible period of motorcycle ownership - the gap between when the bike has been selected, a deposit has been made, and a deal has been struck, but due to a need to shuffle paperwork and money around, there is no new bike in the garage. Hopefully I should have the new addition by the end of next week - I can't wait!

Try an RT-P

What should I be looking for?

Any years and/or options I should avoid?

Since these bikes last forever, I think I'm willing to accept some miles and some years in exchange for a lower price - but how old should I go before I run into the risk of having to spend a lot of money renewing parts as they wear out instead of simply enjoying a reliable bike?

As far as low price, you can't beat an RT-P. You can pick up an 02 for around 7k and an 01 or older for around 5k. I've got a 2000 model, and an 02. I've been very happy with both of them. One nice thing is people don't seem to pull out in front of you as much.
Here's a link for a Rear Seat conversion if you get one.

Good luck !

There were no used RTs anywhere in KC in May.

Ended up paying way more for a leftover 2006 - but these are great bikes !

Back