• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2007-2005 RT Pricing

UnoRacing

I just can't get over the beauty of the 2005RT. The bike is awesome in so many ways. Yesterday, I took my wife to dealership to look at the BMWs and she too agreed that the RT is a beauty. Now I just have to use my presuading power to get her to agree on buying the 2005.

There're a couple of concerns that she has with the bike. First, cost. The thing is expensive and she as the rational accountant can't accept paying $15K for a bike that will only be used on the weekends. Secondly, she's got some long legs. She's 5'8" and when she sits on the bike her legs cramp becasue the pegs are too high causing cramping in her quads.

The above aside, I'm wondering what a fair price would be for a 2005 RT that is loaded to the gills with 5,000 miles would be. Alternatively, I'm wondering what a fair price would be for a brand new loaded 07 would be.

My dealer won't budge on pricing on the 2007, they're asking full pop and I'm thinking if I have some amo and my negoiation pencile is sharpened I might be able to let the games begin.

Thoughts appreciated.

I just can't get over the beauty of the 2005RT. The bike is awesome in so many ways. Yesterday, I took my wife to dealership to look at the BMWs and she too agreed that the RT is a beauty. Now I just have to use my presuading power to get her to agree on buying the 2005.

There're a couple of concerns that she has with the bike. First, cost. The thing is expensive and she as the rational accountant can't accept paying $15K for a bike that will only be used on the weekends. Secondly, she's got some long legs. She's 5'8" and when she sits on the bike her legs cramp becasue the pegs are too high causing cramping in her quads.

The above aside, I'm wondering what a fair price would be for a 2005 RT that is loaded to the gills with 5,000 miles would be. Alternatively, I'm wondering what a fair price would be for a brand new loaded 07 would be.

My dealer won't budge on pricing on the 2007, they're asking full pop and I'm thinking if I have some amo and my negoiation pencile is sharpened I might be able to let the games begin.

Thoughts appreciated.

Dealers don't have much room for negotiation on new bikes, but they do on accessories. Make your deal on the tankbag, top case, bag liners, clothing and such.

Uno,

I'm in the same place as you are, so to speak, ready to buy an RT. My situation is further complicated by having a K75S that I'll probably trade in, since I live in a rural area where it's inconvenient to sell cars and bikes.

In my preliminary discussions with one dealer, there has been no suggestion of "full pop", and I think it would be a mistake to pay MSRP. I rode a GS at this dealer, and he offered me $1000 off on that bike, so I would think he's got room to move on the more-expensive RT. The GS is popular too, after all.

Please let me know how it goes. If you like, you can email me at the following address, which is "disguised" from automatic address strippers:

tomislavDOTmarincicATearthlinkDOTnet.

Cheers and good luck.

I want my dealer to make money as they too have to put food on their table. I'm just wondering if there is any wiggle room in the prices of the new bikes. Prices seem to vary from dealer to dealer and the actual invoice may not reflect the actual MSRP. Plus there is dealer holdback and marketing fees that can be lucerative for the dealer depending on how many bikes they sale becasue it's volume related.

Sure one can get an idea of the general MSRP off the BMW Motorcycles website, but it does not necessarly mean anything becasue of the manufacture to dealer incentives. I would imagine on a net basis there is a 15% profit margin, but not sure. :dunno

It would be nice for forum members to chime in on the options of their 2007 RT bike and a GENERAL idea of what they paid for it as it can move the bargining power toward the BMW Motorcycle Consumer.

Not sure what the deal is for 2007, but when I bought my 2005 they knocked off almost $1000. I think that is because they wanted to get some new RTs out there on the streets to incite lust in others who might be in the market. It is a fantastic road bike. Coincidentally, my wife is 5'11'' and has no problem with us touring two-up on the RT. We did have to purchase aftermarket saddles, but she does not cramp. I have the large BMW topcase, which has a backrest for her, and that may help. Cannot recommend the bike enough. Hope you can swing it.

Buy a used one. The MOA Flea Market has at least two R1200RT's on it all the time, for around $15K with low mileage and all the bells and whistles.

Buy a used one. The MOA Flea Market has at least two R1200RT's on it all the time, for around $15K with low mileage and all the bells and whistles.

yep, let someone else take the depreceation hit, bmws are generally responsibly owned.

I rode an '06 last fall w/ 3k on it. Dealer was asking $15k. Excellent bike. Enging up splurging an additional $2k for the '07.

Thoughts appreciated.

I don't know where your located but you could try this one:

http://www.bmwbikesnyc.com/other_vehicle_inventory.asp

I picked up a 2006 that was the dealers own in Fla and rode it home, with all the options on it, plus aftermarket goodies, I figured I saved at least $5K. considering the hit on depreciation etc. There are some dealers that will move on the price, and do a "fly and ride thing"

'07 Rt

I don't have the exact dollars in front of me (<$20K) but I ordered a new RT a few months back that was "in the q" for a build. That saves time and I got what I wanted in five weeks. It has everything except the radio. The dealer took off 9% and gave me 15% off of accessories. I used quotes from other dealers who had RT's on the floor to help in the negotiations. If you find a new '06 at a dealer or wait for winter to purchase, I'm sure you can do better. Some offered 20% off for accessories. With the following add on's the final price was just over $23K including freight and tax:

49 L trunk
Engine & Bag guards
Navigator III
Tank bag
Fender extensions front & rear
Saddle bag liners

An option on the leg room issue is to add an aftermarket seat (I purchased a heated Sargent Seat). The extra padding raises up the ridder an inch or two with the Sargent. I had a K75 that had the rear seat raised with padding several inches and it looked fine.

Good luck.

I want my dealer to make money as they too have to put food on their table. I'm just wondering if there is any wiggle room in the prices of the new bikes. Prices seem to vary from dealer to dealer and the actual invoice may not reflect the actual MSRP. Plus there is dealer holdback and marketing fees that can be lucerative for the dealer depending on how many bikes they sale becasue it's volume related.

Sure one can get an idea of the general MSRP off the BMW Motorcycles website, but it does not necessarly mean anything becasue of the manufacture to dealer incentives. I would imagine on a net basis there is a 15% profit margin, but not sure. :dunno

It would be nice for forum members to chime in on the options of their 2007 RT bike and a GENERAL idea of what they paid for it as it can move the bargining power toward the BMW Motorcycle Consumer.

Hi all,
Just purchased a '07RT with the following:ESA, Heated seats and grips, tpm, cruise, computer, radio/cd, asc, accessory socket. The total suggested price was, $21,195.00. Looks like I'll be paying $19,602 when it comes in. This is near Chicago.

Buy used...

I bought a couple of used BMW's with low mileage on the internet - including an '03 R1150RT. I asked the owners to bring the bike to their local BMW dealer where I arranged by phone for the dealer to do a mechanical/electrical survey of the bike - both times they charged one hour shop time - and they issued a report (faxed). This allowed me to buy a bike unseen with a reasonably high degree of confidence - for trivial check-up cost. Check the airhead forum - there are lots of Beemers with high miles giving good service, and that speaks volumes for the marque's long-term reliability. I searched for a low-miles '03 because I like the styling better than the 1200's, and the later "improvements" would make little difference in the bikes utility for me (obviously, different for others).
Insofar as supporting your local dealer - I agree in principle, but my understanding is they make most of their profit on the service side of the business.

Back