• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

embarrassing moments

Uneasy Rider

Assuming we are talking about an embarrassing moment on a motorcycle, I respectfully offer the following:

I had just purchased my first bike, a brand new 1967 50cc Bridgestone. I had been riding for about a week and didn't have the slightest idea what I was doing. Gleefully riding along, I suddenly noticed the red traffic light in front of me. I skillfully nailed the rear brake only, having been warned by others that if I even looked at the front brake, it would immediately vault me over the handlebars.

Of course, I locked up the rear wheel and skidded a hundred feet or so, coming to a somewhat less than graceful stop right in the middle of the intersection. It was at that moment that I looked to my right and noticed about a half dozen members of the local 81 on their Harley-Davidsons, all laughing their asses off. Fortunately, the little Bridgestone restarted on the first kick, and I was able to slink off and find a place to check the status of my shorts.

I figure this was a pretty embarrassing moment, as I can still recall it vividly after some 40 years of riding. An inauspicious debut to be sure.
:cat

It was a dark and stormy night.....No, wait! I was being transfered from the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA :cry to Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, TX. (Don't know why a grunt would want to be on an Air Force Base!?!?!) I was on my beautiful Honda 550 Four and enjoying the ride immensely. It was the summer of '75, by the way. On day three, early in the morning, I reach El Paso and think I'm almost there, WooHoo!:p Then, I saw the sign - San Angelo - 508 miles. WOW. After many hours, one sore butt (amazing how long one can ride a 2X4, isn't it?), pushing an out of gas loaded down machine, getting help from some really nice folks, and wide open spaces, I pulled into the parking lot at the Base.:usa Many of my compadres who had flown down awaited with open arms. I came to a gentle stop and promptly fell right over. Forgot to put my feet down:doh

So, there it is.:bolt

Dave

Shifting the Bridgestone

Well then there is the many times I forgot what gear I was in on the rotary shift Bridgestone. That can be pretty embarrassing. BTW, I still have a 90cc Sport, which runs, and a 60cc Surfrider which needs work.

burning boot

Back in '73, I was stationed at MCAS (that's military for Marine Corps Air Station) Yuma, Az. There are some hills East of town on Isomething or other. Just the other side of them was a biker bar. I was riding my '71 Sportster for the first time. Had my new "Dingo" boots on looking cool; drinking in the noise of the pipes as we ( me and the bike) coursed our way through the "curves". Came down the other side and took the exit that led straight to the bar; rapping the throttle as I geared down. Those shorty mufflers were sweet back then, and everyone turned to look at the new biker.

As I slipped the Sporty into first and was idleing across the gravel lot to park, my right ankle began to get really hot. I risked a look down. Crap! My boots on fire. There's smoke trailing behind me, and everyone is pointing.

Instead of rolling into a prominent parking space, sitting on my new ride, and slowly taking off my helmet really cool like, I damn near dropped the bike trying to get stopped and the stand down. After bailing off the bike, I run over to the water hose while at the same time kicking my boot off. My sock is smoldering. Some real biker types are standing there filling canteens for the ride across the desert. One of them turned and took the hose and sprayed me from the waist down.

I bought a lot of beer that day.

Last edited:
Mine was on base

Back in '73, I was stationed at MCAS (that's military for Marine Corps Air Station) Yuma, Az. There are some hills East of town on Isomething or other. Just the other side of them was a biker bar. QUOTE]

I was going to say Reds Roost, but now I rember that was in town.

Sliding my bobbed glide into a snug spot of the scooter parking section of the lot, I nicked the tailpipe of the bike on my left with my footpeg. This pinned my foot in place. I had the world famous domino effect on the motorcycles to my left. Thankfully my ego was the only thing really damaged. Needless to say there was again some beer buying.:doh

Come on, knary, share. We all want to feel better about ourselves by knowing that somebody else has done something even more embarassing than we have. Besides, haven't you ever heard that confession is good for the soul?

Come on, knary, share. We all want to feel better about ourselves by knowing that somebody else has done something even more embarassing than we have. Besides, haven't you ever heard that confession is good for the soul?

Please don't ask Scott anymore. I've seen the photos of some of the things that were buried in his backyard. Lord knows what else is back there. :rofl

Easy :german

16 years old, i get on my friend's 73 CB 360, which fired on one of two cylinders half the time. he explained to me the clutch and throttle. i kept saying "yeah, yeah, i know the principle of the thing". what i really didn't get was the finesse, i cranked on the throttle, dumped the clutch and went about 30 feet before slamming into the back of my own car. scrached bumper, bend fender on the cb and me on the trunk laughing with a bruised rib.:laugh

1974, on a 650 Bonneville in front of the movie theatre in the small town I lived in.

Cruising down main street, looking cool (hopefully), traffic stops, I stop, only problem was my pant cuff was hung up on the footpeg (remember the pant styles),
so of course I fell over in front of all my school mates. It took weeks for the teasing to die down.

Oh well, off to my next embarrassing opportunity........Rod.

screw ups

It really is our screw ups that make the best stories. Please keep 'em coming. My self-esteem is growing, but still fragile. Remember, its not how you screw up, but how you handle your screw ups that matter. We all screw up.

1986. I just sold my Honda CB750 Custom.
I just bought a Suzuki GS1150E, a 119 hp monster.
My sister gives me a ride to pick the bike up.

With a poor combination of shiny new tires, road sand, and torque I spin the back wheel as I pull away and I tumble sideways. Down we go, at about 3mph...I was rolling like Mannix.

Salesman and General Manager run into the street to pick me and the bike up with that "we got a organ donor" look..

No damage to the bike, no damage to me, and my sister is in her car, ashen faced, yelling "Take it back!" at the sales guy.

It would be 19 years until my next tumble.

I don't think my embarrassing bike moment was too bad (I didn't feel TOO stupid) but here it is, for your enjoyment:

Heading to the VT rally last year, I first did some camping in Canada, and also stopped in Montreal. Anyhow, leaving a campground late one afternoon (bike fully loaded with saddlebags and a duffel on the rear seat) I stopped up at the camp store to use the bathroom before getting out of the park. It was loaded with people eating ice cream, hotdogs, and so on. I stop the bike, put my foot down, swing my right leg over the seat, and catch it on the duffel bag (I did NOT put the sidestand down, as I was planning to use the centerstand). I DID manage to get my foot back down on the right side, but at this point, the bike was slowly falling to the left, with me fighting it all the way. Eventually I heard the "thud" of the valve cover making contact with the ground. :doh

I stepped off, took a quick bow, and then picked the bike back up. That was the first time I tried the "back into the bike" pickup method. It worked, and everything was fine and unharmed (and no gas leaked out of the cap), so it has a happy ending. :)

I was a little annoyed that everyone stood there staring, and nobody offered to help me pick the bike up, though.

Fall of 1995 with my fiancee following me from my house to hers. Left turn from a stop, a little slick spot, too much gas, and the rear end goes out to the right and the bike and I go down..... No wonder she doesn't ride with me any more.

Josh, since you performed a quick bow, they thought you were the free entertainment, hence no help.

Great story, thanks for posting it..............Rod.

.... I was being transfered from the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA :cry to Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, TX. (Don't know why a grunt would want to be on an Air Force Base!?!?!) I was on my beautiful Honda 550 Four and enjoying the ride immensely. It was the summer of '75, by the way.
Dave

Dave, brings back memories. I was at DLI the summer of '74 studing German. One of our classmates had a R75 Wehrmacht Beemer with sidecar. At the time almost all the male instructors were former Wehrmacht soldiers. If you took German you might remember Herr Portsig. He had only one arm. We had a BBQ one weekend and he was brought to the party in the sidecar. He then started to relate all the WWII memories he had about riding in the sidecars back then.

Dave H
San Antonio, TX

Loop for Life Ride 2001. 4,000 bikes (mostly Harley's) starting up for a ride around I465 in Indy. All bikes rumble to life. Me on my Rock Solid Reliable Goes for 500K Miles BMW K100. Won't start (bad starter switch). Ain't right. Just simply Ain't Right.

Drop

Late 80's just finished pumping gas into my fully loaded K100RT, standing on the left side I take it off the center stand and it rolls into a crater in the pavement and promptly starts leaning to the right and me on the left... only thing I could do was keep it from crashing to the ground. Walked around picked it up and road off into the sunset... good thing it was a place where I was only passing thru. Of course this only ever happens when you have a full audience.

Back