• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nice job by the rescue personnel in Louisville Kentucky

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
The good work and some luck gave this drive a second chance on life today- :bow

I have run wreckers in the past and have done a lot of technical rigging. This is a nice job, complicated by the obvious. It seems fortunate that this occurred over a main, concrete span support which I would guess allowed the bridge to "take" a load moment in a direction that it wasn't designed to absorb.
If I was anywhere close, I would take a look and see what they come up with for a removal.
I'm guessing that this "older" bridge was designed in the "slide-rule" era when the calculations were made and were "rounded" up to achieve the final specifications.
OM

Best I can tell is they rigged 2 pulleys and ropes off the end of the ladder truck and a team of men were on each line. Without a winch out at the end of the ladder, the teams suffered the disadvantage of having to gain or lose as the ladder was extended or retracted.
It’s a pretty simple operation when there is a winch at the end, pure muscle and grip the way they did it. :bow
Figure around 450 lbs out on the end of the ropes.
Real men doing real work. :thumb
OM

Reactions: lee
Best I can tell is they rigged 2 pulleys and ropes off the end of the ladder truck and a team of men were on each line. Without a winch out at the end of the ladder, the teams suffered the disadvantage of having to gain or lose as the ladder was extended or retracted.
It’s a pretty simple operation when there is a winch at the end, pure muscle and grip the way they did it. :bow
Figure around 450 lbs out on the end of the ropes.
Real men doing real work. :thumb
OM
Hey, my daughter is part of an urban rescue team in a million plus population city that trains for stuff like this. She'll still help men when they need it......

I never did see what the crews did to stabilize the truck from slipping any further which then would allow them to maneuver to rescue the driver.

I never did see what the crews did to stabilize the truck from slipping any further which then would allow them to maneuver to rescue the driver.
I didn't either. The truck looked sufficiently wedged where it was but was probably secured so it wouldn't shift. Choosing an anchor point in a case like that would be multiple anchor points to reduce the bridge loading in a direction most likely not taken into consideration during the design.
OM

There were two cranes on the bridge that I could see. One was used to lower/raise the people. Maybe the one in the background was used to "anchor" the truck?

There were two cranes on the bridge that I could see. One was used to lower/raise the people. Maybe the one in the background was used to "anchor" the truck?
The rescue appeared to be using a traditional ladder truck as a rigging point as my description described earlier. In the second video, it shows the three "rotator" wreckers on the bridge probably handing off the load to each other as the truck became closer to being back on the bridge.
OM

Reactions: lee
Back