• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Interstate batteries

J

Jfixit

I have a 2003 1150RT, It finally hit the road and I find out the battery seems to be discharging with time and use. I suspect a bad battery due to previous owner neglect. The question is, can I buy an Interstate battery at the hardware store down the road for a quick fix to meet my needs in the short term. I'm not concerned with battery quality, it will probably be a short term fix, but I am concerned with function and damage to the bike, your thoughts are appreciated.

Any car battery (12v) should work but it is all a matter of fit and finish.

I have a big car battery for my R100. It is not even in the motorcyle but in the back of the sidecar.

Good Luck.

Interstate makes a full line of motorcycle batteries, fit shouldn't be a problem, I'm only worried about bike-battery compatability.

Motorcycle batteries of the wet style have a vent tube to take acid mist to the ground. If you get a maintenance free battery, that would not be an issue.

I just thought of another problem with auto batteries. The terminals may not be compatible with your bike cables.

Sears sell motorcycle batteries if you have no motorcycle shops nearby.

Before you buy a battery for your RT, take off the side panel and check the actual width of the battery tray.

My 94 R1100RS has a battery tray only 3.12" wide. When I have shopped for batteries for my RS, I have found many battery brands and dealers (Interstate and Yuasa/Exide included) that handed me a battery saying "this ithe one for your bike, shows it right here in the catalog." I go to install it, and the battery is actually 3.25" wide. That .12" extra width means the battery will NOT go in.

I'm not sure if later RS and RT models got wider battery trays, but that is what I have found for the earlier ones.

I bought an exact fit Toyo battery for my RS, $39 bucks, delivered to my door. I use the Toyo model #6FMH18

Back