• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

E-newsletter

You kept us up to date and informed during the WV Rally events, with the beer tent incident, for example. I know the Iron Butt information I posted was appreciated by many, and this forum allowed both of us to convey the excitement of being there to the rest of the interested folks on this forum. Timeliness does matter nowadays.

I wouldn't want redundancies. I get AMA stuff in the mail and the same stuff via email and hate to see trees going to waste. The perspective of ON isn't a newsletter format with timely articles. An enewsletter shouldn't be full of advertisements and reference materials or in depth articles.

Have you seen Science News? It is a weekly that publishes articles but also highlights findings and articles that are covered in more depth by specialty publications. I wouldn't bother to read Journal of American Medical Association, Modern Psychology Today, Applied Materials, Journal of Astronomical Scientists, or whatever the publications might be, and their level of detail would be beyond what I know or understand, most likely. I get good info from Science News. That makes it a great newsletter.

Montana said:
Have you seen Science News? It is a weekly that publishes articles but also highlights findings and articles that are covered in more depth by specialty publications. I wouldn't bother to read Journal of American Medical Association, Modern Psychology Today, Applied Materials, Journal of Astronomical Scientists, or whatever the publications might be, and their level of detail would be beyond what I know or understand, most likely. I get good info from Science News. That makes it a great newsletter.

reply deleted...

Last edited:
would it be possible to use a digital video camera and record your favorite road, and be able to play it back here for all to enjoy, or motivate them to try the road out?

lorazepam said:
would it be possible to use a digital video camera and record your favorite road, and be able to play it back here for all to enjoy, or motivate them to try the road out?

That would consume vast quantities of both bandwidth and storage.

Though those kinds of videos have always fascinated me.

KBasa said:

reply deleted

Last edited:
KBasa said:

As a friend of mine often says, it depends. There are so many different ways to accomplish that trick. Such as hosting could be on each person's own host and they pay for the drive space they want to take up. Also one can compress the video and audio so many ways it is scary. To give you an example for my day job, I have to create training material. Some of this material covers software. When I do video captures of it, I can decide what size, what format, what color depth, what encoding/codec (that is the big one). Just like MP3's, just setting what quality is acceptable to you.

If I use one codec a file maybe 1MB, I can change it to an animated GIF that is 137kB. Same information just different resolution. Hugely different resolution.

Then there is also other tricks like making it bandwidth friendly by making it a slide show.

If you want, ping me and I can send you some samples.

Am I becoming an Ubergeek?

Yes, you are.

"Ping" is a carb, right? On the old BMWs? No, it's what happens when I use low octane, right?

I vote that Ian forms a committee with all these Ubergeeks and gets on with it.

Back