• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

fuel pump noise

Mike Barnett

My 94 K1100LT makes a loud squeeling noise when the tank level gets down almost to reserve. I determined it was the fuel pump so I went to the dealer where I bought it used and he said if it's working don't worry about it. Besides being annoying it worries me that it's going to fail on a trip. I'd like to hear from some of you if this is mormal.

Mike,

That is the built in feature to remind you to get gas !

I have a 1996 K1100LT and when new, was loud I mentioned it to the dealer and he fixed it, re routed a line or something. Mine will stay make the noise but only when it has less than 1/3 gallon of gas, then I know I really need it.

If yours makes noise when you have over 1/4 of a tank, you might check and or replace your fuel filter, and check with another dealer.

HTH

Craig Cleasby
South Windsor, CT
96K1100lt 101000 miles

seemingly loud fuel pump.....

When I first got my 1985 K100RS, I too wondered what the hell that sound was......It is a normal noise from the beast, owing to the lack of an insulator(the gas) surrounding it. Mine seems to be noticeable when it is half full or so and gets a bit louder as it gets down to red light.

I've been designing and building equipment and machines for years and have had a lot of experience dealing with German engineers. This is my first BMW and I really love it, but I find it hard to understand that the noise coming from my gas tank is exceptible engineering. What are some of the other excepted faults of a BMW?

A noise from the pump at a low fuel level could mean that the pump is sucking a bit of air. This might not be good since the pump is lubricated by the fuel. There is no shame in not pushing your tank to the last drop.

I agree with that, but it starts squealing at 150 miles and I can get 200. I pulled it out of the tank the other day and every thing looked ok, but I'm not much of a mechanic. Mike

Back