• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1100 ABS question

blackfly

Sled Doggs
Picture this... the bike is a 1996 K1100RS, it has ABS II.

If you have one of these (or anything with ABS II) you know that when you start moving under power, the ABS "cycles" by making a couple of distinct mechanical sounds. You know, a hasty clunk, clunk.

My understanding is that this should only happen after initial startup and takeoff. Right?

My bike sometimes does it several times at low speed takeoffs, long after the bike has been running and without shutting it off.

I am trying to figure out what is causing this. Any suggestions?

*** This is what I think it is. The ABS control is sensitive to voltage change and for a brief moment when the clutch is being released at takeoff, the mechanical sound reappears. This doesn't happen every time.... just frequent enough. Would replacing the battery with a fresh one fix the issue?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Thank you for your input.

fred

K11 ABS Question

Hi Mike.

As it turns out, this is a characteristic of the beast and is usually caused by a voltage variance.

Apparently it is not a problem. It is one of those things that we acknowlegde and get on with other things.

fb

Back