• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rally Site Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwroady

I went to register for the 2023 Rally. Be a great ride from SoCal. As I was checking out the details, I came across this in the Rally FAQ's:

WHAT OTHER FAIRGROUNDS POLICIES DO I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT?
Smoking is allowed only in designated areas - pay attention to signage.

Wait a minute, if I am interpreting this correctly this would mean no cigars at my campsite? I have never experienced this restriction at previous Nationals I have attended. For now, I am holding off on registering pending clarity on this ...

Not a chance .. as I've told the wife of 40+ years, every man is allowed a vice or two .. I don't drink or chase women, I enjoy my bikes and good cigars. I know not all will understand, but a good stick brings me the pleasure a good drink, beer or glass of wine brings others after a good ride. Imagine what saying no alcohol outside of designated areas would do to attendance :)

Not a chance .. as I've told the wife of 40+ years, every man is allowed a vice or two .. I don't drink or chase women, I enjoy my bikes and good cigars. I know not all will understand, but a good stick brings me the pleasure a good drink, beer or glass of wine brings others after a good ride. Imagine what saying no alcohol outside of designated areas would do to attendance :)

I wish you well. Having just been sentenced to a 24/7/365 use of oxygen ( the old nose hose you see in all those TV shows) after 40 years of smoking and 23 years without but with progressive COPD, I understand but don't encourage. I did spend a couple of grand to get a device that allows me to still ride and snort oxygen.

No different than staying in a motel/hotel. At least you can still enjoy your cigar just not next to a neighbor who may not be as fond of the smoke. Honestly in this day with so many places being 100% smoke free I suspect having a place to smoke a cigar is a nice add for those who smoke.

To each his own and my sincere sympathies PGlaves on the medical difficulties.

For me, I’ll simply pass on riding cross country to a rally, where I can’t enjoy a cigar at my campsite.

CWRoady, I understand your consternation, Cigar's are one of my favored vices as well. I did a google search for the Meadow Event Center smoking policy and found the following rules in place for the "Virginia State Fair, Alcohol is NOT permitted to be brought onto the property. Beer and wine will be for sale and may be consumed inside the fair, except in the Midway and Kidway areas. Alcohol is not allowed in the parking areas. Smoking is permitted on the property; however, it is prohibited in tents and buildings, ride and ticket lines and the entire Kidway area. This includes the use of electronic smoking devices. Marijuana is prohibited on Meadow Event Park property." I would reasonably expect nothing different at the Rally, I intend to smoke at the rally as I always have, with the approval of those in my vicinity, or removing myself to a reasonable distance and lighting up. Hope to see you there.

To each his own and my sincere sympathies PGlaves on the medical difficulties.

For me, I’ll simply pass on riding cross country to a rally, where I can’t enjoy a cigar at my campsite.

To each his/her own for sure. For me a good part of attending the MOA National IS the ride especially when it’s a long one as yours would be. For me the rally is simply the destination and reason to ride new roads, visit new small towns and meet me people along the way. To forgo that ride simply because I’m not able to smoke a cigar for a few days where I might prefer seems like a loss of a great ride and memories. But that’s just me and as always YMMV.

Outdoor smoking rules vary from state to state. As do alcohol sales and consumption. (And I do believe we've already had a rally or two that limited the area for alcohol consumption) I'm a cigar smoker too and I understand how foul it may smell to a non smoker and how dangerous it may be to others who are going through some health issues, so I don't have any problem with reasonable rules or restrictions.

NJ limited or basically banned outright smoking in public areas. You're technically not allowed to smoke at all on NJ beaches, even though my local beach is over 1/4 mile wide. But my local town authorities realize that's overkill and refuse to enforce the ban as long as you make an effort to keep away from other people.

To each his/her own for sure. For me a good part of attending the MOA National IS the ride especially when it’s a long one as yours would be. For me the rally is simply the destination and reason to ride new roads, visit new small towns and meet me people along the way. To forgo that ride simply because I’m not able to smoke a cigar for a few days where I might prefer seems like a loss of a great ride and memories. But that’s just me and as always YMMV.

+1

No argument from me .. certainly on the point that it is more about the ride than the destination. That is why I will simply choose a different destination that allows me to maximize my enjoyment. Enjoy the National gents, think I'll simply replace the Rally fix piece of my ride with the Chief Joseph in Oregon (the same month), and enjoy the amazing riding between here and the PNW instead.

No argument from me .. certainly on the point that it is more about the ride than the destination. That is why I will simply choose a different destination that allows me to maximize my enjoyment. Enjoy the National gents, think I'll simply replace the Rally fix piece of my ride with the Chief Joseph in Oregon (the same month), and enjoy the amazing riding between here and the PNW instead.
It would be the heart of irony if someone were to come by your CAMPFIRE and complain about your cigar smoke. I wouldn't, but then again, I'd look awfully silly complaining about your stogie if I had a nice Maduro wrapped, Cohiba Presidente going. Come on man, we'll find a spot if we have to.

It would be the heart of irony if someone were to come by your CAMPFIRE and complain about your cigar smoke. I wouldn't, but then again, I'd look awfully silly complaining about your stogie if I had a nice Maduro wrapped, Cohiba Presidente going. Come on man, we'll find a spot if we have to.

... true that, never had an issue by using a little common sense and courtesy around camp.

I went to register for the 2023 Rally. Be a great ride from SoCal. As I was checking out the details, I came across this in the Rally FAQ's:

WHAT OTHER FAIRGROUNDS POLICIES DO I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT?
Smoking is allowed only in designated areas - pay attention to signage.

Wait a minute, if I am interpreting this correctly this would mean no cigars at my campsite? I have never experienced this restriction at previous Nationals I have attended. For now, I am holding off on registering pending clarity on this ...

Without getting political, this is Virginia. We kind of run on tobacco sales (well, at least we used to). I suspect this in the buildings.

No argument from me .. certainly on the point that it is more about the ride than the destination. That is why I will simply choose a different destination that allows me to maximize my enjoyment. Enjoy the National gents, think I'll simply replace the Rally fix piece of my ride with the Chief Joseph in Oregon same month), and enjoy the amazing riding between here and the PNW instead.

Chief Joseph rally at John Day is a good choice. I've enjoyed it several times. Much to do thereabouts , good roads every direction. The Strawberry mtns south are a good ride. North of Baker City is the Oregon Trail interpretive center, really gives one a feel of what they faced on that journey. John Day fossil beds are interesting. All these prolly on the 'suggested local rides' pamphlet handed out. Only issue I had with sparking up a nice hand rolled ciggaro was envious inquires and minor drooling from bystanders.
If time allows also spend a couple of days at or around Joseph. There's a world class foundry there and the life size bronze statues placed at several corners around town are amazing the one of Chief Joseph, in full regalia, comes to mind. Chief Joseph's final resting place is south of town. Wallowa lake and State Park is a few miles south and a nice place to camp. A ride to Hell's Canyon will eat up most of a day but well worth it.
Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back