• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Our Rally Format

All MOA

Thank you for your service to the MOA. My name is Middletown Mike and I am a member of club 280 "MARS" I was also a member and officer of the previous Delaware BMW club TSST, my member ID is 35164. I want to repost to you a quick blurb I wrote on our clubs (MARS) Facebook page. I was encouraged to do so by other members. I will also post it on the Forums. I have no biased agenda when it comes to the MOA. I enjoy being a member and I have the same outlook and goal to see the club flourish and grow. I have seen some good changes over the years and I hope for more as we look forward. I don't want to Bla Bla about myself or my riding resume, but for perspective. I am a lifelong rider and MC owner, having participated in every type of MC event except for trials riding.

I want to share this with you and others in the MOA because I think it necessary to reformulate the rally selection criteria to grow the organization, increase participation of existing members and add new members of a younger generation. The younger generation growth is the MOAs greatest challenge. How can we do it, how is it going to happen? We need to come to the realization that we cannot do it in the current format of the international rally structure. Our current structure pleases the older membership. Yep its true. Young people are not interested in our events, so they do not attend. Most families won't be interested. Dad might be interested but mom is interested in something to entertain the children and teenagers. So dad will refocus on other destinations for entertainment.

My club posting reads as follows:

Back Home from the MOA International Rally. The rally was not my final stop on my Wild West II tour, but it was on my way home. I camped with the MARS club camping site and enjoyed the camaraderie that we share as "Martian" Members. During my Wild West tour I posted some of my adventure on our site but I have not completed the details on all my travels during the adventure. I need to finish the story. I thought it proper as a long time MOA Member to make constructive criticism on our international event to fellow riders.

My overall opinion of the rally is that the venue was great but the location was terrible, from a motorcyclist perspective. So it brings me to think about the rally like this: Why do we ride? Well we ride for the joy of riding, the experience itself. So how do we fulfill that, do we ride to the city for a joyful experience, no lets ride to twin cities! Place the twin city ride far from the East coast and far from the west coast so that most members won't attend! How smart is this idea, well we actually have committees that came up with this selection. Yes I am being sarcastic on how we select a rally site and the criteria for that selection.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the rally, my generation and hobby history places me in the group that like BMW rallies. I love motorcycles, riding to destinations and associate with others who do the same. However the MOA is in turmoil over membership numbers and it should be. Simply put, there is reason for concern; the next generation is not in "MY" mold. The MOA is losing old members, is in a search for younger members.

So ask yourself why is this happening? It?s not an MOA exclusive issue, it's a MC industry common problem. Riders are getting older, younger riders are not riding what we rode, they are not adventurers, they are scooter urban professionals, not traditional bikers.

Hmmm, makes me think, lets figure this out. How can we turn this around? Let's look at some basic issues and possible ideology to see if there is a solution for this trend. What is the main event of the MOA? It's the International Rally. Does the MOA get it right on selecting there rally site? For the answer to that million dollar question you need to look at human nature. Just Sayin, here's how it actually works. The most successful MC rallies are always located in one spot one place. Why is that the case? Well its human nature, planning, habit. The human likes to be habitual. It's a proven fact, no doubt. Prove it! Americade and Sturgis, there is the proof. Even some local rallies show good attendance with just basic advertising. How do they do it? Good riding locations and proper amenities at the site. Therefore an International event which is properly promoted, appeals to the masses, is accessible, with great riding locations should grow like the other two success stories, right? Well were not growing our attendance, hmmmmm.

Back to the 2014 rally, being a long term MOA member, I ask myself today; where is the MOA going and what do we want it to be as members? Ok, being a very minimal MOA participant and volunteer at he rally I noted a bothersome problem with the MOA. I was a greeter at the rally gate "registration". During my service as the "Hello, how was your trip, welcome to the MOA Rally guy, which I thoroughly enjoyed, I learned that we did not have a day pass policy. So I asked why not have a day pass through several different channels. I was informed it was for security reasons. The reason I inquired about it was because several different people and groups came to the gate on my shift to see if they could pay for a day pass. Sadly I had to explain we did not have a day pass policy and if they wished to attend, they would need to pay the event fee. Everyone I greeted who asked for the day pass left in frustration, that was my worst experience at the rally. To see BMW fans and members turned away at the gate, when all they wanted to do was show their spouse, their sons, daughter, sister or brother our main event of the year. Just pushed away at the gate. Why? The reasoning was that this policy was for a security concern! Security? Security risk from MOA members who were in town for a day, or don't camp or from bikers who wanted to see what it was all about, to learn about the MOA. Hmmm, if you laid down 80 bucks and looked like a shady character you were instantly a welcome guest. A card carrying MOA member who just wanted to visit the vendors or bring his family to show them our main event or a Dad and his family who wanted to show his family what it is all about are security risks, hmmm, were building our membership right?

If the MOA is serious about building membership, wishes to attract new members, locking people out of your main event is not the way to accomplish that goal. If you want to increase membership, open your heart and open the gate. Put our rally in display. Invite local non BMW club leadership to tour our rally by invitation. Use the golf carts to provide them a guided tour. Make them feel welcome. But definitely don't look them out.

Rally sites

The system of dividing up the country into 4 areas to move the rally around is an ideal thought to be fair to all locations of our main membership. In practice, it is never going to be fair. Most motorcyclists are either on the eastern portion or western portions of the USA. Most motorcyclists are in California. We should realize that we need to have one location or two locations and we should negotiate a long term agreement on those sites. Perhaps it would be best to have one on the eastern side and one on the western side of the USA and alternate the years of attendance. Central USA is not a good typographical region for motorcycling and is not an attractive destination.

What about the rally format? Does it attract a wide range of interested MC fans? Is there a category of motorcyclists we are not attracting but we want to bring them in? I say yes that there is one particular group of BMW motorcyclists or motorcyclists we want to reach out to but we are not seeing at our rallies. Let's be honest about it, we don't want parts of Sturgis at our rallies. However we want to see more families at our rallies. Bring the next generation into our fold. How can we accomplish this? It's very simple. Dad wants to do some MC event but mom and the kids do not. So the MC event is off the list, unless the event includes family fun or access to family fun! Say near a major theme park with a discounted group ticketing plan or other venue. We don't need to turn the rally site itself into a circus but we can provide access to events that will attract families / youth to our main event and start building relationships with the next generation of motorcyclists and BMW riders. More RV space is needed for more families. A family camping section. A family price plan, not to exceed, let's say $140 for a family of 4 or $160 for 6. Advertise the event in family camping circulars.

All of these ideas will spur interest in the MOA outside our traditional market reach and that is where new members will come from. Fun for all is the way to build interest. We had 5300 attendees at the rally which is about 10% of our membership. That is pretty bad, which defines a pretty bad job of selling or creating a rally everyone wants to attend? We need to do a better job, redefine how we run our most premier event and remember, get the message out, bring the family here is what we have for the whole family.

Open our hearts and Open our gate!

Then the word will spread; Come Join the MOA Today, were having fun.

Feel free to share my ideas.

Middletown Mike
&
Blue Beemer

...."if you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got"

Bob Dylan said it best...The times they are A-changin'

Thanks for the well written post, Mike. Some of your thoughts are already under consideration by the Events committee.

Sturgis doesn't change much.

Nor do the majority of motorcycles there, which are twin cylinder, air-cooled types.

It's also in the middle of the U.S.

Is that it? Harley riders are in the middle part of the country and the BMW riders are concentrated on the coasts?

"Central USA is not a good typographical region for motorcycling and is not an attractive destination."
Middletown Mike
&
Blue Beemer

Can you expand on that? I've been all over the USA via MC and totally disagree with that statement. Other than that, you brought up some interesting points and observations.

Last edited:
Mike,

I appreciate your thoughts, and the time you obviously put in thinking about this matter and pening it.

However, I must disagree on several points, which seem to come as more personal opinion than facts.

I don't really think there are more motorcycleists on the East & West coast than there are in middle America.
Perhaps more concentrated, but not more.

I completely disagree with you on your statement that middle America "is not a good typographical region for motorcycling and is not an attractive destination." I've traveled over most of our country and to me the diversity is part of the intrigue. Certain parts of this great land of ours are almost like visiting another country!
The various regions, and the diversity of the populations- different landscapes & people make each area unique. Small town America, the sights and smells of the farms & landscapes, the "Amber waves of Grain" so to speak.

In all honesty, I personally prefer the hospitality & friendliness of mid America to either coast. This is strictly personal opinion, but the high concentration of the populace on each coast seems to make people more self-absorbed, and callus, bordering on rudeness. Granted this is painting with a broad brush, and possibly because I myself have been born & raised in the MIdwest and feel more comfortable around like minded people....but this has been my observation.

In conclusion, I think the MOA is going to be just fine. Lets think about this. Motorcycle Owners of America.
This includes the whole country, and personally I don't want to see our national event turned into Sturgis.
I attended Sturgis for many years, but stopped going about 1975 as it just got too commercialized.
Younger people are coming up on Motorcycles, and though a BMW may not be the preferred bike for a 25 year old person, they do grow and ride more. eventually they come to realize (if they are bitten by the bug)
that a BMW is the bike to ride if you really want to do some miles.

We will be fine, just wait and see

Ken Foster

+1 to the OP for your thoughts and suggestions. As a 4 year member who has never attended a rally, the format does not appeal to me or my wife who is a casual passenger. Here's to the silent majority who will eventually just fade away.

snip...
My overall opinion of the rally is that the venue was great but the location was terrible, from a motorcyclist perspective. So it brings me to think about the rally like this: Why do we ride? Well we ride for the joy of riding, the experience itself. So how do we fulfill that, do we ride to the city for a joyful experience, no lets ride to twin cities! Place the twin city ride far from the East coast and far from the west coast so that most members won't attend! How smart is this idea, well we actually have committees that came up with this selection. Yes I am being sarcastic on how we select a rally site and the criteria for that selection.

The reason BMW ownership is concentrated on either coast, especially the East, is the long established dealer network - nothing more. I do agree that the rally site made finding fun, beautiful roads challenging but your attitude to my home state is condescending and elitist.

Back to the 2014 rally, ... So I asked why not have a day pass through several different channels. I was informed it was for security reasons. The reason I inquired about it was because several different people and groups came to the gate on my shift to see if they could pay for a day pass. Sadly I had to explain we did not have a day pass policy and if they wished to attend, they would need to pay the event fee. Everyone I greeted who asked for the day pass left in frustration, that was my worst experience at the rally. To see BMW fans and members turned away at the gate, when all they wanted to do was show their spouse, their sons, daughter, sister or brother our main event of the year. Just pushed away at the gate. Why? The reasoning was that this policy was for a security concern! Security?

Trust me, having done gate security at music events with multi day/access passes, it is extremely difficult to sort this one out. I agree that the $80 gate fee for everyone is steep, but I made it a point to register early for my first rally.

If the MOA is serious about building membership, wishes to attract new members, locking people out of your main event is not the way to accomplish that goal. If you want to increase membership, open your heart and open the gate. Put our rally in display. Invite local non BMW club leadership to tour our rally by invitation. Use the golf carts to provide them a guided tour. Make them feel welcome. But definitely don't look them out.

Guest pass seems like a good idea but it requires diligence on the part of the sponsor. Think Caddyshack...
Rally sites

The system of dividing up the country into 4 areas to move the rally around is an ideal thought to be fair to all locations of our main membership. In practice, it is never going to be fair. Most motorcyclists are either on the eastern portion or western portions of the USA. Most motorcyclists are in California. We should realize that we need to have one location or two locations and we should negotiate a long term agreement on those sites. Perhaps it would be best to have one on the eastern side and one on the western side of the USA and alternate the years of attendance. Central USA is not a good typographical region for motorcycling and is not an attractive destination.

do this and you'll never see me at any coast rally. Period. good for you that you get your wish every other year. Guess the MOA members would need to get used to a single perspective and site...or not and go to their regional rallies instead.

All of these ideas will spur interest in the MOA outside our traditional market reach and that is where new members will come from. Fun for all is the way to build interest. We had 5300 attendees at the rally which is about 10% of our membership. That is pretty bad, which defines a pretty bad job of selling or creating a rally everyone wants to attend? We need to do a better job, redefine how we run our most premier event and remember, get the message out, bring the family here is what we have for the whole family.

The number was 5866. BTW Less than 4% of the membership voted this recent election and didn't even have to leave their chair to mark the ballot. Did you?

I'm open to changes in rally site and dates but won't be held hostage to any particular geographic elitism. I already have that in the state where I currently live. <holding tongue>

Feel free to share my ideas.

Let's not and say we did, K?

Middletown Mike
&
Blue Beemer[/QUOTE]

In all honesty, I personally prefer the hospitality & friendliness of mid America to either coast. This is strictly personal opinion, but the high concentration of the populace on each coast seems to make people more self-absorbed, and callus, bordering on rudeness. Granted this is painting with a broad brush, and possibly because I myself have been born & raised in the MIdwest and feel more comfortable around like minded people....but this has been my observation.
Ken Foster

I think many people get the wrong impression of parts of the country whether it is east, west, north, south or the middle because of where they visit when they go there. When people travel, they usually go to population centers like New York City, DC, LA, New Orleans, Orlando, etc. They never see and experience the majority of the country. It's more of a city/urban vs the small town/country difference than what part of the country you live in. I'm from the sticks in the south but I went to school with folks from upstate NY that lived in the country. We weren't so different except for the way we talked. City/urban dwellers don't speak to strangers or interact with people they don't know because they are afraid of the reaction or the dangers they may encounter (also, you can't speak to nearly everyone when there are thousands of people around you). We country folks speak and wave to nearly everyone we encounter because we have always done it and don't feel threatened (we also don't see a lot of people). When the rally was in Bloomsburg, PA, the very nice folks who lived there reminded me of people in small cities everywhere (except for the accents).

I have been to seven of the last eight rallies. My wife has attended the same as me. We missed Bloomsburg due to a family commitment which had us ride to northern Texas instead.

My favorite rallies have had fun roads on the way to them or fairly close by.
I will rate them here.

1. Tennessee. We rode the river road from MN to Cave in Rock and took the Fairy Boat to Kentucky. We ate in Cosby TN at a little bar-b-que shack. We rode TN 32 and NC the rattler. We rode the snake. They were great roads. The rally site was good except for some strange alcohol rules. This one stands out a really great two week ride and rally.

2. Tough call here between 2 & 3
I'm going with Sedlia MO We road right passed it and road tiny two lane blacktop highways in Arkansas for four wonderful days that were all over 100F and then back to The rally site. It was a super great trip. The roads in Northern AR and southern MO were fantastic. Then we had a great time at the rally.

3. Gillette WY. I know a lot of people didn't like this site. We took the long way round riding through bear tooth pass, chief Joseph highway, saw tons of cool stuff, rode lots of great roads. Then we arrived at the rally site. The food vendors were some what limited but food was there (we arrived on Tuesday to help set up) we only left the site for one meal at a Chinese Buffet.

4 & 5 the two in Oregon are tied for me. The only reason Salem might get billing over Redmond is because it was Farther away and we rode more great roads. That one was a 4024 mile road trip that we rode less then 100 miles of interstate. The rest of those miles were on two lane black top or less.

6. West Bend, we had a blast here. It was our first rally ever. We had fun. We road through Wisconsin on HWY 33 which is a great state Hwy. I still was learning the really great roads in that state. I was awestruck all the bikes, like kid in a candy store and my wife had to learn difference between an Airhead, an Oilhead and a Flying Brick :).

The MN rally I can't really rate as I live only 3 miles away. My ride to it was like commuting to work. I did work at this rally more than attend. I had a great time but it was a totally different experience. I was there on Monday morning setting up and did more of the same on Tuesday going home those nights to sleep. Wednesday we put up a tent and stayed there until Sunday morning when I went home to get the trailer and van to start tearing down and hauling things away (Airhead Central Furniture)

In my opinion there are some great roads in the middle of the nation. Southeastern MN and Southwestern Wisconsin have roads that give TN a run for the money if you know where to ride.

Saturday Day passes would be a fine idea.

Having the rally only on the East and West coast would not be such a fine idea.

Steven Handeland
2014 Hospitality Co-Chair

In all fairness, I appreciate someone that would take the time to write down their thoughts and share them here in order to improve the organization, the national rally, membership, etc.

As far as rally formats are concerned, it would seem to me that each national rally is a bit different based on location and venue. I've only attended and worked at 2 rallies, one of which was the one here in the Twin Cities, so my personal view is very narrow. However, I will say that the 2 rallies that I have attended were distinctly different. The beer garden was different, the food was different, the vendors were different, the camping areas were different...I could go on in almost every category. One thing that was the same was that I met some new friends, I re-engaged with some old friends, and there were a lot of friendly, happy people. Pretty simply put, I know, but that's my experience.

Variety is the spice of life, they say, and while some may not enjoy the "heartland" (I get it, I really do), there are many of us that do. I would also LOVE to ride to some of the awesome rally destinations. I've driven through upstate New York in October (albeit in a car). It's gorgeous country with wonderful roads.

Given how we vote for our "decision makers", I do think it's good to share our ideas here on these forums as well as via PM's to board members. They can't try to make changes on any front if they don't know what we're thinking.

I live in the east and this rally was the farthest my wife (passenger) and I have travelled together on the bike. After the rally we rode to Memphis and are now headed back home. We enjoy seeing different parts of the country and during this trip my wife mentioned that she wants to go to Billings. I like the rotation system it gives me that little "nudge" to ride somewhere I might not think of.

I think day passes are a good idea especially for those that live nearby. I use a day pass to go to the Finger Lakes Rally as it is close to where I live and I have no desire to camp.

I believe you are giving too much credit to the rally as a tool to increase membership. Although you have the opportunity to showcase the brand to newbies, the rally is really a celebration for the faithful. IMO the biggest challenges to BMW ownership are the scarcity of dealers/promotion and even more importantly the cost. This is not a bike line that caters to the beginner with multiple steps to stay in the brand similar to the Japanese brands. The last time I had my 9T at a well known local BBQ place a group of kids in their mid twenties were asking me questions and when we got to the price they were very surprised, in a "I won't be getting this bike any time soon" kind of way, especially considering the level of equipment and performance on their Japanese bikes.

As for the entire families coming, what I prefer is that the rally be held somewhere that has interesting off the bike activities as well as good riding. After we arrived to St Paul we wanted a couple of days off the bike enjoying the local area. I don't see the rally as a major enticement to kids to begin riding. My daughter rides because of an interest she developed in seeing my day to day enjoyment in riding coupled with the time she spent with me as a passenger. My .02

Thanks for your thoughts as new ideas help the club grow.

Back