• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Latest Owners News

Haven't had a chance to look inside yet but I'm happy to see the stapled binding- it makes it easier to fold over and read in tight spaces like airline seats.

Regarding picking on columnists, in my twenty years of membership I haven't always totally dug every columnist, but the beauty of it is that the variety means that lots of different tastes can find something enjoyable. And I'm grateful to everyone who makes the commitment to write a column. I like to write and I've been published in the ON a few times, but the thought of having to come up with a certain amount of something readable and cohesive (both within the monthly installment and across the life of the column) by a deadline every month scares the bejeezus outta me! So thank you columnists, whether I like your stuff or not; you're a big part of the heartbeat of our humble lil' club newsletter! :clap

I have to agree with you and it wasn't really fair to pick on the columnist. The other thing is I don't have to read what I don't like, nobody does. That said about the only reason I ever joined BMWMOA is the monthly magazine. I used to like the annual rally but not anymore just not for me. I attended the Prineville, OR rally back when the MOA was a much smaller organization and I was younger, way younger, and I was on my first BMW. Those were good days for sure but now so much has changed and not in a positive way for the most part. I could go on and on but no point. Life is too short. Wellll, maybe not if you look at the world today.

New

I am happy with the new magazine layout, and as mentioned I am grateful to those who take time to write articles or contribute to it. I am very happy the magazine still shows up in my mailbox as I am NOT a fan of digital magazines. Lord knows what all the screen time I do partake in is doing to my eyesight, LOL. St.

Readability looks great to me and even improved a bit. Now one thing I could do without is the piece written by the esteemed psychologist as in borrrrring to the extreme.

I find Mark’s column extremely valuable. It’s not entertainment so much as it puts me in an introspective place where I can examine the hidden issues that interfere with my own riding proficiency. Several times he has adjusted my mindset and helped fine tune that nut behind my handlebars.

Pete

A big thanks to all the people who worked on the new Owner's News. A good first step in the right direction!

My mag. arrived in good condition. My regular postperson must be on vacation. :laugh

E.

My March issue arrived in perfect condition and I like the changes. BTW, the first column I read every month is Mark Barnes' and his insight into the mental aspects of riding helps me stay aware of how easily our life experiences can impact all we do. Excellent food for thought.

As a member forces recruiter, I made my postman, Robert, an MOA member. My magazine always arrives in pristine condition. He rides a Duc.

88013682-226A-45A3-B93F-A09CB64F17A2.jpg

Sooner or later I expect that the cost of printing and postage will drive most "magazines" to be on-line only. So, I reckon that we can enjoy the printed version while we can.

When the lists of new members was published I thought it to be not worthwhile. It was obvious that with so many new members each month but with constant (or slightly declining) membership, most new members were not re-upping. I think that my initial membership was paid by the BMW dealer where I purchased my new 94 R11RS. I reckon that is how most new members "join"; a free membership (from MOA) with purchase of a new BMW bike. The discontinuation of publishing of new member names is likely a good thing. Member retention is a separate issue.

I really like the postcards from the road. New members (really all members) should be encouraged to frequently submit photos of fun, memorable rides. A slide-show of selected images would make a nice screen saver.

I kind of miss the map showing upcoming rally locations.

Time will tell if the USPS is capable of delivering intact magazines consistently.

Sooner or later I expect that the cost of printing and postage will drive most "magazines" to be on-line only. So, I reckon that we can enjoy the printed version while we can.

Keep in mind that while us older luddites like printed material, the younger generation prefers things online. I think it will be a combination of declining printed magazine requests coupled with rising costs. The big question is how to switch from a printed format to an online format, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

The big question is how to switch from a printed format to an online format, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

There are a number of services that make online publications look just like the print version, and it's easy for the designer to generate it. If you've never seen it, here's Cycle News: https://www.cyclenews.com/2023/03/article/cycle-news-magazine-2023-issue-9.

Personally, I don't care for reading publications electronically, although I do like my Kindle and the ability to adjust font size and line spacing for comfortable reading. Sadly, most of the print publications I still receive are dealing with dwindling advertising and fewer page counts by making the font smaller. As a pre-codger with vision issues, I can't spend long periods reading without taking a break.

There are a number of services that make online publications look just like the print version, and it's easy for the designer to generate it. If you've never seen it, here's Cycle News: https://www.cyclenews.com/2023/03/article/cycle-news-magazine-2023-issue-9.

All the digital versions of media I've read online, have been versions that look like their print versions. However, that's not the best format for online articles/information, IMO, for a handful of reasons.

Fantastic changes to an already solid monthly magazine.

Almost makes me sad to have terminated my 3 year MOA membership (with 2 years left) early. (I'm guessing that I won't be reimbursed for the two remaining years)

Almost.

Cheers,
--Slipstream

Keep in mind that while us older luddites like printed material, the younger generation prefers things online. I think it will be a combination of declining printed magazine requests coupled with rising costs. The big question is how to switch from a printed format to an online format, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

I guess. I'm 64 and started my career in printing. I've got 40ish years of Cycle World/Motorcyclist, etc. in my closet. I like print.

But 5 or so years ago, I started subscribing to all my magazines and periodicals digitally and read them on my iPad. I liked it when Automobile magazine would include videos in the articles and make them far better than just print. Two paragraphs of descriptions of what a car sounds like? Or a ten second clip? I'll take the clip.

If I could get a BMW MOA app on my iPad that provided a decent reading experience, I'd go for that right off. It's how I get my car mags, my gardening stuff, current events and the like. The only two magazines I get in the mail anymore are Panorama from the Porsche Club and ON from here.

Panorama is another quality magazine. A friend of mine had a spread in an issue when he brought his “Bumblebee”
to a Porsche event at Amelia Island. Very well done.
OM

I liked it when Automobile magazine would include videos in the articles and make them far better than just print. Two paragraphs of descriptions of what a car sounds like? Or a ten second clip? I'll take the clip.

This was my point exactly, but I was trying not to create too much of a tangent from the original post, so I didn't mention it. There are different ways to present articles when they are moved from print to online with regards to information, types of media and layout. Such as, I don't see why when I'm reading online that I have to go to page whatever to finish an article. This really isn't an issue on with the Owners News, but it is with some.

This was my point exactly, but I was trying not to create too much of a tangent from the original post, so I didn't mention it. There are different ways to present articles when they are moved from print to online with regards to information, types of media and layout. Such as, I don't see why when I'm reading online that I have to go to page whatever to finish an article. This really isn't an issue on with the Owners News, but it is with some.

I think that initially, we all thought a PDF would be a great way to replicate the magazine experience, but it kind of isn't. Magazines that present an article in its entirety in a long column are far easier to read than navigating back and forth in a PDF, in my opinion.

When I started getting car magazines electronically, they usually came as a PDF, but apps are way better. Sitting in my chair, with my cat, reading my iPad is pretty terrific. Bonus: My wife doesn't heckle me about the stacks of magazines and reading material I used to leave all over the house.

There are different ways to present articles when they are moved from print to online with regards to information, types of media and layout.

I didn't want to drift the thread, either, but since you mention it, there are a whole lot of ways to slice and dice content across different media.

Doing this well as people "ride through life" will increase engagement between members of a community, which is an amazingly effective way to build long-term loyalty.

Ian

> good article today in Harvard Business Review

Well I have been a member since 1992 and I was disappointed. And by the way, I still have all issues since I joined plus almost all of them since the MOA started.

No further comment because what would be the point.

Back