• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 1200RT ride modes

StLouRider

This is my 6th BMW (1st RT). But my first one with ESA. I had an 08 and a 14 GSA, but neither had the ESA. It’s been a while since I had a BMW. I was scrolling through the ride modes and the load levels, and noticed there isn’t a choice for “rain mode”. I did find sport, regular, and comfort, or something like that. Is rain mode something that wasn’t available in 2011? If it was available, I might have it, but can’t find it. Good to be back here.

First post here in a long time.

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:
Mine has sport, normal, comfort on my 11RT. I leave mine for the most part in normal.

Then there's 1 up, 1 up with luggage and 2 up settings as well. I leave mine on one up + luggage.

This is all in the owners manual. There were no rain modes for 2011. ESA settings of Sport, Normal, and Comfort only change the damping of the shocks. Sport being a bit firmer for the twisties, Comfort a bit softer for the straight stuff. Damping can be changed while riding as circumstances warrant. The one helmet, one helmet plus luggage, and two helmet settings are for rear spring preload, to adjust for the load. This can only be changed at a stop, in neutral, with the engine running. (I also recommend doing this while off the bike, but that's a personal choice.) These settings are basically just push button controls for shock adjustments.

Bikes with a "rain mode" usually also modify other behaviors of the bike. Engine response may be less abrupt, with reduced power, and traction control and ABS thresholds might change.

I think the various "modes" first became available on the RT with the introduction of the 2014 Wetheads, with throttle by wire. Previously, the throttles were opened directly by the cables, so they were out of control of the computers. With throttle by wire, when you twist the grip you are only requesting that the computer open the throttle, and it decides if that's a good idea based on other inputs and settings.

Back