• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Engine noise, right side, 76 R75/7

skittlz74

Ok I need some guidance....I have checked and rechecked all the usual suspects when it comes to engine noise, but I cannot seem to find what is causing the right side to be so loud? Left side sounds great, and right side matches everything as far as we can tell.

Valves have been adjusted to spec, rocker arms are nice and tight with the tiniest of movement and oil seeping out, pushrods are not hitting the walls, exhaust is tight and no leaks, etc.

BTW bike has 45K miles on the clock and is running really well otherwise.

Thoughts?

Video of both sides......

https://youtube.com/shorts/pdmJLf0FnSU?feature=share

And up close and personal with the right side...

https://youtube.com/shorts/tPjtvubQUGc?feature=share

Many thanks in advance!!!

A broken tappet is a possibility. The pieces will remain in place and the tappet will continue to function, just noisy.

A broken tappet is a possibility. The pieces will remain in place and the tappet will continue to function, just noisy.

Might be a stupid question, but how do I check that?

I am also going to let her idle with the cover off to see if I can pinpoint a location.....

Do you have a mechanics stethoscope? This could also help pinpoint the location of the noise.

for me, almost everytime is the carbs are out of adjustment and sync.......the clutch is the culprit for some reason kinda banging around as the engine works to catch up with the other side.........Anyway it's a sure sign for me to work a bit with the mercury guage.........God bless........Dennis

for me, almost everytime is the carbs are out of adjustment and sync.......the clutch is the culprit for some reason kinda banging around as the engine works to catch up with the other side.........Anyway it's a sure sign for me to work a bit with the mercury guage.........God bless........Dennis

The carbs are tops! We synced them up last week; they were way out of whack and now ticking along nicely.

Report back what your measured rocker arm end float is.
  • Engine cold
  • Engine at TDC on the compression stroke

Lacking a stethoscope, pick a fat Phillips screwdriver, stick the handle firmly into your ear, and use the tip as your probe.

If it's not a tappet - in the second video, I (may have) heard a higher-pitched tapping noise... bad needle bearing on the rocker arm? I also recall that the tappets were upgraded due to cracking at the top and/or bottom of the "window".

FIXED!! OK so popped off the cover to see if we could pinpoint the noise while she idled, and still wasn't totally apparent, we decided it was the rocker arm. Pushrods and tubes are great and centered, tappets are in spec. After the 3rd attempt at these rocker arms, she is now operating as she should!! It is amazing how such a TINY adjustment can make such a huge difference!!

Thanks everyone for the repsonses!!

Glad you got to the bottom of it! What minor change did you make??

Just a minuscule adjustment to the rocker blocks, a literal touch closer together. I can barely feel it move, if at all, while I still see the oil film squeeze out:)

Just a minuscule adjustment to the rocker blocks, a literal touch closer together. I can barely feel it move, if at all, while I still see the oil film squeeze out:)

good for you. FWIW, I set the rocker end float on my R90s to about .003" and its very quiet.....for an Airhead anyway. :)

Back