• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Front brake calipers

alke46

on my 2001 R11000RL. I'm reading through the Clymer manual and it states that the front calipers should not be separated. Why is this? And what could go wrong if they are taken apart?

Are they sealed somehow and would possibly leak if taken apart? Just what is the deal with why they should not be taken apart?

TIA

Seems there is a seal issue. The last of the threads in the Similar Threads pane suggests that.

on my 2001 R11000RL. I'm reading through the Clymer manual and it states that the front calipers should not be separated. Why is this? And what could go wrong if they are taken apart?

Are they sealed somehow and would possibly leak if taken apart? Just what is the deal with why they should not be taken apart?

TIA

You risk them leaking when you reassemble.

Question: Why do you want to split them?

The real question is why do you want to take them apart. There is no earthly reason to do so.

Can you find an official torque figure for putting them back together?

Can you find new bolts ... it's likely the old ones shouldn't be reused.

Your job as a mechanic is not to demonstrate that you know more than engineer designers, it is instead to follow their directions. Several airplanes have crashed following "creative" work by "mechanics" without engineering knowledge.

I wanted to split them so I could give them a really good cleaning and look for any crud that has built up over the last 10+ years of not being properly taken care of.

I wanted to be able to remove the piston and dust seals to be able to make sure of their cleanliness.

I wanted to split them so I could give them a really good cleaning and look for any crud that has built up over the last 10+ years of not being properly taken care of.

I wanted to be able to remove the piston and dust seals to be able to make sure of their cleanliness.

You can do all of that without splitting the calipers.

I split mine before I had read that you should not. I had to rebuild the calipers, master cylinder, and new lines for a brake issue. you can find replacement for the small gasket that is at the hole that connects the 2 halves however the big problem is getting the 2 halves back together flush and true. I reused the bolts and everything worked out fine. I would NOT do that knowing everything now and for what its worth Brembo would tell you not to do it. you want to be careful with how much and the way you tighten them, you want to make sure you do not cause it be misaligned.

The seals (O ring) are hard to source. Some Brembo sellers do stock them.

No need to split them.
Remove the pistons and seals, bleed screw
Wash everything in hot soapy water (dish soap), scrub with an old toothbrush.
Rinse in hot water, blow dry with compressed air including all passages.
Reassemble with Red rubber grease or DOT 4 fluid.

They are normal O rings
If they match the original dimensions and are compatible with brake fluid you are good to go.

Here is a source for metric o-rings, if possible use viton material that is made for harsh environments.
https://www.rocketseals.com/Metric-...KIuc5PHMJ4nFbKRJXHb4ijbBoEVPT3_RoCtvYQAvD_BwE

I’m not finding a chart or other documentation showing Viton as being compatible with DOT3/DOT4 brake fluid. EPDM is the rubber compound most commonly used for seals and o rings that contact brake fluid. If you have documentation showing Viton compatibility please share that—there are more sizes and options in Viton than in EPDM with the vendors I’ve researched.

Thx,
DeVern

Are these o-rings anything special? I ask because there is this, www.theoringstore.com.

I just ordered several sizes that looked like they would work and used one that appeared the same size as the one i lost when splitting them. the other I cleaned and reused worked for thousands of miles with no issue. I have got rid of the bike because i liked to ride more than repairing and doing maintenance on a 20 plus year old bike. Had the bike had more value and was worth dong all new suspension and a better seat I would still have it.

The real question is why do you want to take them apart. There is no earthly reason to do so.

Can you find an official torque figure for putting them back together?

Can you find new bolts ... it's likely the old ones shouldn't be reused.

Your job as a mechanic is not to demonstrate that you know more than engineer designers, it is instead to follow their directions. Several airplanes have crashed following "creative" work by "mechanics" without engineering knowledge.

Seems a little over the top to me. Don't you ever do any of your own mechanical duties? And just how would you address the issue I have in the attached photo? New one obviously on the right side, partially disintegrated one on the left is what came out upon splitting open the two caliper halves.

BTW, the second caliper o-ring was even worse.

IMG_20220924_135802729 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

[/U][/I][/B]
New one obviously on the right side, partially disintegrated one on the left is what came out upon splitting open the two caliper halves.

BTW, the second caliper o-ring was even worse.

IMG_20220924_135802729 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

Brake fluid really is nasty stuff.

My opinion is a little different than the other folks in this thread, and that O-ring on the left is why. I think any and every rubber part that touches brake fluid should be replaced after a while -- especially on a brake caliper that's probably been in continuous contact with brake fluid for 20+ years. EPDM is resistant but not impervious. Splitting the calipers is necessary to get to those rings and, like you, it's what I'll be doing when I rebuild my own.

There's an Ebay seller of brake parts in England called Powerhouse-UK, and their full rebuild kits for our brake calipers are about $100 shipped to the US. They include the pair of O-rings for sealing the caliper halves.

Back