• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 r1200rt time for a new battery

motor4

Need a new battery...is it best to just do the dealer thing or are there other places to get the 'right' battery replacement now days.
thank you

The dealer thing will cost you more but be less work and may give you a reason to take a nice ride. All depends on your individual desires. After I bought my 07RT used it needed a battery while we were on the road on one of our first trips and I visited a dealer. The next two I chose to do myself with a cheaper version. They have given me the same performance as the OEM version.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LRUVWGS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The terminals are a little smaller and the holes needed to be reamed just a fraction.

The dealer thing will cost you more but be less work and may give you a reason to take a nice ride. All depends on your individual desires. After I bought my 07RT used it needed a battery while we were on the road on one of our first trips and I visited a dealer. The next two I chose to do myself with a cheaper version. They have given me the same performance as the OEM version.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LRUVWGS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The terminals are a little smaller and the holes needed to be reamed just a fraction.
I wonder what the CCA is.

I wonder what the CCA is.

It seems I remember finding that in my early research and it was better than the OEM but I can’t find it now. I can tell you that my real world experience is that it sounded like my bike cranked stronger and quicker. I live in Florida like you so I don’t have any extended cold cranking experience with these though. I keep mine on an Optimate 4 in canbus mode and the first one lasted 3 years and 8 months. My OEM didn’t see 4 years either. Here in Florida 4 years is hard to come by. It can be done but it is expensive. I feel the value I get from these is good but there are certainly better batteries if you want to spend the money.

Hum, only a 1 year warranty and oddly no reviews on their site. Still may be worth consideration due to dual connection points.[/QUOTE

I'm interested in who has a longer warranty than one year? I see that Panasonic is one year. Yuasa is only 6 months, even on their "premium" batteries.

I've enjoyed my Motobatt batteries - https://www.motobatt.us/MB51814-Motobatt-12V-Battery

The extra terminals are nice for all my junk.... errr farkles! I won't ever buy another battery that isn't sealed.

I’m in the mixed opinion on Motobatts. One in Airhead lasted for several years and now have BatteryMart Big Crank that is going on three, , two mb51814’s done in a year and few months out of warranty and a mbtx14au that made three. Think it was in H’s F650 .Just lost a Odyssey after six years in an Oilhead.

All these bikes were either ridden often or rotated on tenders. Made in Florida, but think I’m done.

Back