• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

440,000 R1200/R1250 GS Model Service Campaign

Every article I’ve read so far on this issue has referenced it as a service campaign, not a recall. As a service campaign, it is something to be addressed as bikes come in for other routine service and not an issue requiring scheduling an appointment with a dealer.

IIRC letters are not mailed to owners on service campaigns, only on actual recalls—where they are required by federal agencies.

Best,
DeVern

You're right DeVern. I pulled the trigger too quickly. "Service Campaign" it is. The NHTSA recall website is silent on this issue. Mea Culpa...

As a service campaign, it is something to be addressed as bikes come in for other routine service and not an issue requiring scheduling an appointment with a dealer.

So how is this addressed if your bike never goes into the dealer as I do ALL maintenance and repairs to my two and four wheeled vehicles? Will they hand out the parts and instructions for free?

Definite problem

It definitely a problem in that it was not required in the usual servicing schedule. A significant oops for BMW. I am surprised that it took so long for them to add it to the service routine. In my case, at 25k miles, I couldn't get the rear unit separated from the driveshaft due to rusty splines. Took it to dealer and they used a bigger hammer, lubed it, replaced the rubber flex coupling. Bunch of accumulated stuff in housing that was also removed.

So how is this addressed if your bike never goes into the dealer as I do ALL maintenance and repairs to my two and four wheeled vehicles? Will they hand out the parts and instructions for free?

You get to go to your dealer and schedule and pay for a regular service.

While they have your bike, they will perform this service action for no additional charge.

Since it is NOT a government mandated recall, they are not obligated to do anything else.

My understanding is that bikes over 36,000 miles get a new driveshaft.

Under 36,000 miles, grease the splines yourself and forget about it.

Over 36,000, schedule something simple and cheap (reset the service light?) and let them replace the driveshaft.

My understanding is that bikes over 36,000 miles get a new driveshaft.

Under 36,000 miles, grease the splines yourself and forget about it.

Over 36,000, schedule something simple and cheap (reset the service light?) and let them replace the driveshaft.

Had my 2017 GSA done 2 weeks ago. New drive shaft (I have 72,000 miles) and the vent installed that no one can explain how it works. Under 36,000 they use a device to check the shaft for issues and if it finds some they drop the rear drive. Call your dealer and I am sure they can find a reason for your visit then do the Service Campaign. :thumb

Back