• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

new old stock helmets

2slowwheels

I'm shopping for a new Arai helmet. I'm finding new in the box helmets that have been sitting in the dealers showroom with a build date of 2018. Is this too old even for an Arai given they say 5 years is all they are good for?

I don’t buy the five year standard, but that wouldn’t stop me from trying to get a reduced price.

I don’t buy the five year standard, but that wouldn’t stop me from trying to get a reduced price.

Five years? In my opinion, it depends. Sealed in plastic, in a box, out of the Sun, and in more or less moderate temperatures like in a building I think there is minimal deterioration. Out in the Sun, hanging on a mirror, sitting on the picnic table, on the shelf in the garage near the fumes from the mower's gas can, maybe dropped a time or two - then five years will take its toll. YMMV of course.

This is what Arai says on their website about their warranty:

"All Arai helmets are warranted against defects in material and workmanship, and as serviceable only for the properly fitted first user for 5 years after purchase, but no more than 7 years from the date of manufacture. Based on the recommendations of the Snell Memorial Foundation www.smf.org it should be replaced within 5 years of first use.

Any Arai helmet or Arai helmet part found by Arai, or its authorized agents, to be defective in materials and/or workmanship within 5 years of the date of purchase, but no more than 7 years from the date of manufacture, will be repaired or replaced at the sole discretion of Arai, free of charge to the original purchaser, when returned freight prepaid to the address provided by Arai."

Certainly implies that Arai believes a new, never-before-used, Arai helmet is good for 7 years from date of manufacture.

Back