• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Garmin Nav VI Refresh model

ramble

ohbeemer
My Nav VI got the terminal bug and I am getting the Nav VI "Refresh" as a replacement. Any comments on the newer one vs the original Nav VI appreciated.

How did you get the refresh? I’m on #3 and have asked about the upgraded unit, but Garmin told me they couldn’t send me the newest one, only swap for the same unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Loyal customer? Will see if it arrives. Actually, I felt as if I got my $ worth, as it was 4 years old and guided me on many bikes and trips, and easier than a back seat driver:D, and doesn't require dinner and a movie!

There is a very long and active thread about the Nav VI "ghosting" issue over at advrider.com.

[url]https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/nav-vi-revised.1422861/[/URL]

Actually, there are several related threads, but they are all similar.

Some owners are on their fifth or sixth replacement. New or old version, the problem seems to keep coming back.

I didn’t know that Garmin had problems with some of their GPS models. Thought that it was just my model and me. I don’t have a Nav VI but a Garmin 595. The fourth replacement unit they sent me last summer seemed to finally work although due to COVID I didn’t really get much riding with it. Some of the Garmin reps were quite helpful while others certainly were not.

Lee, seems like all the 1600 guys posted a year ago and then no one gave feedback. If the refresh arrives it will be on the bike and in use, so I will give an update. In the meantime I'm considering an alternate unit to fit the same space on the 20RT.

The Italian adapters mentioned in another thread here look interesting, especially the one that mounts a Garmin ZumoXT into the Nav Prep mount on my GS. If my replacement Nav VI craps out I’d be interested in switching to the Zumo even if it means losing use of the wonder wheel for the gps…

Best,
DeVern

For those switching to Nuvi or other GPS, you could always get the BMW phone cradle to keep wonderwheel access to many functions through your phone, and mount the GPS in another location...

New Nav VI

I was informed that the newest Nav VI has version 10.0 where mine is 5.8 and I just got a Replacement about 2 months ago.

I was informed that the newest Nav VI has version 10.0 where mine is 5.8 and I just got a Replacement about 2 months ago.

I’ll ask you, How did you get the refresh? I’m on #3 and have asked about the upgraded unit, but Garmin told me they couldn’t send me the newest one, only swap for the same unit? I’ve had 3 units on 5.8 and they all do the same thing eventually. A buddy of mine had several units also and they sent him the new Version 10.0. He didn’t even know it until he turned it on. …so just wondering if you requested it or they just sent it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Turns out there is no reference to "refresh " or Pro on the box. They sent me a replacement, Nav VI so time will tell if it lasts. No request from me for any particular type.

Check Replacement Email if Listed as Refurbished or Refresh

Turns out there is no reference to "refresh " or Pro on the box. They sent me a replacement, Nav VI so time will tell if it lasts. No request from me for any particular type.
Your replacement confirmation email should list if the unit you just received is a Refurbished or Refreshed unit.

If not call them with the serial number and ask them.

Newest / best (affordable) unit for 2014 R1200RT with Nav Prep?

Hi all! Just got the ride. Guessing it had the BMW GPS as there was no cover on it. Sadly, no GPS either.

Looking to add a non-BMW branded unit.

Anyone know what the latest make(s) and model(s) are directly compatible and what issues/benefits I can look forward to?

Thanks!

Hi all! Just got the ride. Guessing it had the BMW GPS as there was no cover on it. Sadly, no GPS either.

Looking to add a non-BMW branded unit.

Anyone know what the latest make(s) and model(s) are directly compatible and what issues/benefits I can look forward to?

Thanks!

Currently, the Nav VI, Nav V should also be fine, and there's now also the BMW ConnectedRide cradle that interfaces the WonderWheel with your phone, and provides wireless charging.

Back