• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Winter Storage Question

Paul_F

RK Ryder
One of my sons has parked his bike for the winter in a friend’s carport. The bike has a full bike cover over it and is then wrapped in a very large tarp. He does have a battery tender hooked up to the battery. Currently our temperatures are sitting at -7F. His concern now is about rust forming on the frame and chrome. Bike will be stored until mid-April.

So my question is will rust be an issue? :dunno

Crap shoot really. When there is a rapid change of temperature, condensation will form. Under this “temperature inversion” on some of my larger (sheltered) equipment, the condensation will actually run off. Slowing the temperature change will help. If it is covered all the way to the ground, a conventional 60 watt light bulb under the tarp may quite possibly give off enough heat to counteract a rapid temperature change.
It’s like owning a classic vehicle, they need a climate controlled environment to retain their condition.
OM

If I had to store my motorcycle in that manner , I would coat the metal parts with a protectant spray like S100 or at the very least WD40 before I put it away .

winter storage

I live in northern NE and had to store my FZ1 out side for a couple of years. It had a full Nelson Riggs cover for it. I prepped the fuel , checked all the fluids, and coated the chain. Then set in on the center stand with a 2x4 block under it , blocked the wheels off the ground with some 2x4's placed a small plastic carton on the seat , put the cover on it and there it sat till spring. Did the usually spring tune up and no problems . Did this for 4years till I sold it, and it ran just fine.

If he has a nylon type cover over it and it's under a carport, I don't think I would be putting a tarp over it as well. A tarp is not going to breathe very well and could contribute substantially to holding moisture.

Tarps don't breathe. That's the biggest issue. Nicer motorcycle covers breath a bit which keeps moisture buildup to a minimum. If he can, spray ACF-50 on the entire bike minus brake system, plastics and seats / controls (basically everything south of the seat minus brake rotors can be sprayed with it.

I don't store the bike under a cover in the winter but it's in a garage so out of the snow and rain. It comes out of the garage dusty but no rust.

Lps #3

While I have never had to store a bike outdoors, I have found coating items with LPS #3 liquid helps quite a bit to prevent damage from moisture. It is a waxy coating that can be purchased in a pump spray bottle and in the summer can be removed with engine degreaser or a good car wash solution with a bit of work.

One fellow I knew used to coat with a product called Cosmoline. I recall this was a bit more difficult to remove than the LPS. St.

I personally wouldn't be concerned about it. It's under a carport and the sun shining on it would be the biggest reason for rapidly changing temperatures. I'm sure it will be just fine. If you are concerned, take off the tarp and just go with the cover.

Consider this as an option.

https://www.carbag.com/motojacket/

I have used one for my 2004 R1150RT for the past 6 years or so in an unheated and uninsulated garage and it has worked wonderfully.

Also have one of their car bags and used it on a 2005 Mustang 1 winter in a non climate controlled storage unit. Car and the bike come out looking like the day they are put in. Literally. :thumb

Car bag

I had forgotten about the car bags. They look like they would be the bee's knees. As for mice, a few mothballs work to keep them out of my 335 when it is stored for the winter. The bikes never rest for long even in our upstate NY weather. I have more problems with salt damage from riding than condensation damage. St.

Consider this as an option.

https://www.carbag.com/motojacket/

I have used one for my 2004 R1150RT for the past 6 years or so in an unheated and uninsulated garage and it has worked wonderfully.

Also have one of their car bags and used it on a 2005 Mustang 1 winter in a non climate controlled storage unit. Car and the bike come out looking like the day they are put in. Literally. :thumb

I've never heard of those...what a great idea.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and suggestions regarding my son's storage of his bike, with bike cover and wrapped in a massive tarp. After reading your input, I came up with my solution.

Since I knew my K was going to a shop sometime this winter, back in late November I moved the bike lift closer to my workbench, put the R on it and removed the lift's extensions. This additional space allowed me to store my trailer in the garage with the bike on it. I delivered the K to the shop yesterday and from there I picked up my son's bike. For now it is stored in the garage (which seldom drops below 50F in the winter). The Yamaha is currently sitting on the trailer, hooked up to one of my battery tenders. When my bike is ready to return, his will placed on the lift (the cruiser has no centre stand) with my two on the floor on their centre stands.

When he got the bike last March, it was stored in the garage for about a month. With the lift's extensions and three bikes, it was a tight fit. With the extensions off this winter, there will be less room than I'd like, but something with which I can live, knowing that the battery will survive as well as freedom from random mice and rust.

The ultimate solution will happen this spring when he puts a shed on the 12'x12' concrete slab in his backyard, complete with wiring for a tender and a light to help combat moisture.

Thank you again for all of your suggestions and concerns about where he had decided to keep it for the winter.

Back