• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

No VIN number on frame

blsuedeshu

Greeting to all,

This is my first post as a new member so forgive me if this question has been asked and answered already.

I have recently purchased a 1984 R100RS from a reputable vintage bike dealer and had it shipped here to California. The bike is great and the transaction went without a hitch with all the required documentation accounted for. While getting everything in order to register it I was looking for the VIN number on the bike and I can't seem to find it anywhere. No stampings, stickers, anywhere on the frame. The motor has a pad on the left side of the engine with stamped information, but they do not appear to have any correlation to the VIN number. The current out of state registration, plate number, proof of insurance, and title have a clear chain of custody, but nothing on the bike to tie it together. In researching this odd circumstance, I have heard there is a BMW Service bulletin (2298) that states that around 1984, BMW was not going identify their motorcycles using a VIN and this is not uncommon for bike of this vintage. This has phenomenon been mentioned in Snowbum's web site and others as well. I have searched the web and cannot fine this service bulletin anywhere which is odd as it has been touted as being the Rosetta Stone for BMW's that are VIN-less. Anyone know of this bulletin and know how to get a copy. I just need some ammunition in the event the DMV throws a net over me and my bike. In contrast, my /5 has the VIN number pounded on to every conceivable flat surface available.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Have you checked the lower right frame rail, below and just aft of the RH cylinder?

Best,
DeVern

In addition to the lower right frame, check the label on the swing arm. If the swing arm is the original, the label will have the VIN punched into it with small holes to make the letters and numbers.

Thanks for getting back to me. No stickers or numbers stamped anywhere, and I have spent plenty time looking as well as my Airhead friends. I would like to get a copy of that BMW Service Bulletin 2298 if anyone knows how to get one. It is proving to be elusive so I am wondering if it is an urban myth.

Thanks for getting back to me. No stickers or numbers stamped anywhere, and I have spent plenty time looking as well as my Airhead friends. I would like to get a copy of that BMW Service Bulletin 2298 if anyone knows how to get one. It is proving to be elusive so I am wondering if it is an urban myth.

Since you own a bike which gives you very good reason to need to see it I would think that any reputable BMW dealer would be willing to show it to you. Who have you asked?????

I have not seen any factory bulletin...probably different than a service bulletin...about this. My suggestion to contact Snowbum through his website and ask him to provide some background or a copy. I've never seen it before.

What does the existing title state as the identification for this vehicle?

My 84

This is the location of my serial number on my 84 RT, it is not deep and perhaps if your bike has been painted or powder coated the numbers may be hard to see? St.
IMG_20211123_184015421.jpg

When I need to highlight numbers/info such as in Steve's picture, I rub a piece of soapstone over the area. Chalk may work as well.
OM

From Snowbums page:

Per BMW factory bulletin 2298, if your State or Country requires an engine number, you are to use the top line characters on the milled flat area on the engine case, located below and forward of the left cylinder. BMW meant (my interpretation) this applied if you did not have a stamped engine number located at the dipstick area. The stamped milled flat area number BMW said to use is not really a true engine number, and all will be explained in this article.

You can read the article here: https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/IDnumbrs.htm

Lol

When I need to highlight numbers/info such as in Steve's picture, I rub a piece of soapstone over the area. Chalk may work as well.

LOL, I wasn't showing the numbers per say as the location of the serial number. Yes, chalk works fine. I had the frame powder coated over last winter and the coater specifically asked me what he wanted me to do in regard to the serial number. Care was taken so it would still be visible.

As part of NY requirements, the engine number is not the number used for registration, the frame number is. So in this fellow's case, there either is a number on the frame and he is missing it or, there was and perhaps it is obscured by paint or Powder. St.

Since you own a bike which gives you very good reason to need to see it I would think that any reputable BMW dealer would be willing to show it to you. Who have you asked?????

The bike has had no problem title wise from the original owner in Texas to Georgia. Registration requirements may be looser in those states.

Back