• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 K1200RS Rear Shock question / RE differences in the same part number

k547

I have a 2003 K1200RS (manufacture date Nov 2002) with 51,000 miles and original front and rear shock absorbers. I purchased a set of front and rear shocks at a very good (low) price that had been taken off of a 2002 K1200RS (manufacture date Jun 2002) with 11,000 miles on them. I compared the VINs from both bikes and confirmed that BMW listed exactly the same part number for both front and rear shocks for both of the bikes before purchase.

This pic is the original rear shock from my bike, oriented as though it were mounted on the bike and you were viewing it from above and from the rear of the bike. Note that the dampening adjuster knob protruding from the lower right side would be pointing outboard on the motorcycle and the port where the remote hydraulic spring preload hose attaches to the top of the shock body would be towards the inboard area of the motorcycle. In other words they are positioned on opposite sides of the shock.

IMG_3123.jpg

This pic is of the shock I purchased and the dampener adjustment knob and hydraulic hose attach point are both located on what would be the inboard side of the bike when mounted. In other words they are on the same side of the shock. (Sorry it came out upside down)

IMG_2905.jpg

I imagine that with a suitably large spring compressor the newer shock could have it's spring compressed enough to disengage the lugs on the lower spring end plate and the shock lower mounting clevis rotated 180'.
The seller of the shock assured me that this is how it came off his bike. It is mandatory that the dampening adjuster knob points outboard to install the shock and it appears that the shock might install with the upper hydraulic hose either inboard or out board, although in an outboard position this would alter the hose run from the stock BMW location.

Does anyone have any comments regarding two shocks with the exact same BMW factory part number that are assembled differently?

Welcome to the Forum!:wave

Unless there is something unusual about your shocks, you should be able to mount one end in a vise (not too tight) and rotate the other end to your desired orientation. The body end of the shock should rotate independently of the rod end.

:dance:dance:dance

I tried that earlier but didn't use enough force, with just a little more effort to overcome the friction of the bottom of the spring against the end plate it does rotate. Issue solved now I can make the install in the same way my original shock was positioned.
Thanks!

My next project will be the front shock and steering dampener and the newly powder coated 60% semi gloss black center and side stand.

IMG_2873.jpg

been working out of state a lot but today finally finished installing the EPM rebuilt OEM rear shock

while I was messing around on the rear suspension the "silver links" looked like they were possibly corroded underneath the paint. previously I had taken an X-Acto knife to funny looking bubbles on my rear brake pedal and rear grab rail and found corrosion under the paint.

as it turned out they were not corroded but the rubber mounts were feeling very hard with a metal dowel inserted so I cobbled up a push/pull bushing remover and installed new rubber mounts

everything back in place

and here is the rear brake pedal and seat grab bar after corrosion issues were delt with

Back