• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Could heated (Gerbing) jacket interfere with key fob on 2021 RT?

beauxjpooboo

Yesterday, on a very cold day, I was getting the dashboard error message on my '21 R1250RT saying that the key fob was too far away and I could not restart my bike (it was running and I had no difficulty starting it a few minutes prior). Figuring it was a fob battery issue, I replaced the key fob battery. I thought that solved the issue, but the warning reappeared on a ride this morning.

I carry the key fob in my outer jacket pocket and never had a problem before. Just for kicks, I just now tried riding without my Gerbing heated jacket liner and the error message did NOT reappear.

Any of you wise folk out there know if the heated clothing can interfere with the key's communication? It seems unlikely given that my Garbing liner is underneath my jacket, but I can't figure any other factor that would cause the error message. I could live with the problem except that the little orange triangle of despair constantly glows at me from the TFT display and it is annoying (just like when your phone loses its connection to the TFT and the icons keep flashing).

One more thing: yesterday, when the warning triangle first appeared, I turned off heated grips, heated seat and the Gerbing equipment. The warning went away. I thought it was perhaps an electric system issue, but I'm fairly convinced it's the Gerbing stuff interfering with the signal.

Thoughts?

Is your Gerbing controller wireless?
Where do you place the controller?

My Gerbings heated jacket liner was purchased at the Midland Michigan MOA rally some years back. The jacket liner came with a wired in-line Heat 'Troller device to allow one to vary the temperature delivered by the heated jacket liner. Typically I keep Heat 'Troller in the left pocket of my 'Stich.

With the wireless key fob for my 2018 R1200RT in my left pocket there is periodically a signal displayed on the bike that the key fob is absent when the bike is underway. I don't plug the heated jacket liner in to the bike using the pigtail connected to the battery (also used to charge the battery when parked) until the bike is started. With the wireless key fob in my right pocket, there is less, but still periodic interference (recognized by the key symbol on the display). The interference does not affect the operation of the bike.

I believe that the Heat 'Troller emits some RF that interferes with the key fob signal. I might be able to shield the Heat 'Troller, but I haven't been overly concerned enough to spend any time fooling with RF shielding.

Is your Gerbing controller wireless?
Where do you place the controller?

No, it is not wireless. It is the standard Heatroller. I have it attached to the outside of my jacket where I can reach it while riding.

Sounds like I’m not the only one who has this issue.

It sounds to me that the Heatroller (pulse width modulator) is emitting RF energy which is interacting (messing) with the operation of the Keyless Ignition. However, I am not an electrical engineer and did not stay at the Holiday Inn recently so my guess might not be correct.

Last edited:
We had a similar experience when we switched from Sena Bluetooth communicators to PackTalk Mesh communicators. We used to wear our fobs on a lanyard around our necks. After the switch we got frequent intermittent failure of the ignition to recognize the presence of the fob. Took several days, but Annie figured it out and moved her fob to a pants pocket away from the PackTalk. You might try repositioning your heat controller and see if has any affect. We have GSs and the ignition receiver is under the pillion seat. Yours is upfront I believe, so try moving it away from the front; perhaps on a tank bag.

We had a similar experience when we switched from Sena Bluetooth communicators to PackTalk Mesh communicators. We used to wear our fobs on a lanyard around our necks. After the switch we got frequent intermittent failure of the ignition to recognize the presence of the fob. Took several days, but Annie figured it out and moved her fob to a pants pocket away from the PackTalk. You might try repositioning your heat controller and see if has any affect. We have GSs and the ignition receiver is under the pillion seat. Yours is upfront I believe, so try moving it away from the front; perhaps on a tank bag.

Well…it sounds like my problem is not unique. I will figure something out. At least I don’t have to buy a new key fob.

Thanks for the responses.

Back