• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2022 R1250 RT Availability

flatlander24

I'm hoping someone here has a good relationship with their "knowledgeable" dealer that has a really GOOD relationship with their rep, that has some reliable and fairly accurate timeline for the new RT's to be in showrooms. I know BMW send notifications to dealers about bikes being shipped to them but I'm told the notifications can be somewhat ambiguous as to WHEN the bikes might actually hit the door.

Any good info would be appreciated.

gb

I'm hoping someone here has a good relationship with their "knowledgeable" dealer that has a really GOOD relationship with their rep, that has some reliable and fairly accurate timeline for the new RT's to be in showrooms. I know BMW send notifications to dealers about bikes being shipped to them but I'm told the notifications can be somewhat ambiguous as to WHEN the bikes might actually hit the door.

gb

Welcome to the forum.
Production started a couple weeks ago and you can order now.
Our 2022 R1250RSs were made last week but it's a real guessing game now on how long it will take for the bikes to arrive in the US.
I thought in a normal year six weeks was average for shipping.
Edit: Bob in post #4 said eight weeks.
A friend had his bike sit on a boat near NY or NJ for two months. Another member here said his RT sat off shore for one month.

Last edited:
How to Order & Track Your New BMW

I posted this back in 2016. Another member who worked at a BMW dealership added some edits as well.

Ordering a BMW car and motorcycle essentially works the same way:

1. Dealer receives production allocation for a certain model. The number of allocations is based, in part, on previous sales at that dealership.

2. Dealer places order for their inventory or for a specific customer using the BMW computer ordering system (I believe it's called DealerSpeed). There is a priority "field" on the Vehicle Inquiry Status order form that indicates the status. Highest priority is "1-Customer Sold." This tells BMW there's a customer waiting for the bike/car. Other priority numbers, such as "3-Priority Stock" indicates it's for the dealer's inventory.

3. After placing the order, the bike or car is assigned a unique Production Number and production week. When I ordered my 2014 RT on February 5, it was scheduled to be built that last week of February. And the dealer provided me with a printout to show the bike was built as scheduled on February 28.

4. About a week after it was built, the bike's status changed to "In Transit To Warehouse." The dealer's computer then indicated the exact container ship that would carry the cargo to New Jersey. You can track the ship's progress (Google Marine Traffic).

5. My 2014 RT arrived in New Jersey in mid-April and was delivered to me on April 24.

6. Total time from build date to delivery about 8 weeks.

After the shock recall, I chose Option 4 and sold my 2014 back to BMW, and ordered a 2015 RT on July 8 (he had just received 2 allocations).

I watched as my salesperson input my order and immediately received a unique Production Number. My 2015 RT order indicated status code 111, which means the ordered was accepted by BMW. Changes are allowed until the bike goes into status code 150 (in production). Ordering a BMW auto works the same way.

My 2015 RT is due in New Jersey port on Sep 20. Once is clears customs, it will be released for truck shipping and should arrive at my dealer in about 10 days.

When I ordered my 2014, my dealer showed me how to track the truck on the DHL website:

https://dhli.dhl.com/dhli-client/publicTracking?7

In the "Search By" drop-down menu, select "Customer Ref Number"

Then input your VIN. It's case sensitive, so use capital letters.

You should be able to track the shipment, assuming that it's coming via DHL.

Hope this helps. If your salesperson doesn't have a clue on how bikes "magically" arrive at his dealership, perhaps it's time to change dealers.

If you have a bike on order, your salesperson can easily check its progress, based on standard BMW codes, as follows (based on auto production, but most still apply):

0 Order deleted by NA
17 Order not Specified
37 Order is at BMW NA
87 Production Week Assigned
97 Order sent to AG
100 Order deleted by AG
101 Error in data transmitted
102 Special Order (no Prod Week)
105 Order out of Prod. Period
111 Order Accepted at AG
112 Order scheduled for Production
150 Production Started
151 Body Shop Started
152 Paint Shop Started
153 Assembly Started
155 Production Completed
160 Released to Distribution
168 AG Stock
170 Waiting Workshop
172 Planned for Workshop
174 Workshop Entry
176 Workshop Complete
180 Waiting for Export Dispatch
181 Waiting for Domestic Dispatch
182 AG Load No. — Released to Carrier
190 Dispatched ex(port?) BMW AG
191 Returned to BMW AG
193 Arrived at Port of Exit (where my car was stalled)
194 Selected for Shipment
195 Shipped from Port of Exit
196 Shipment Arrival — ATA

Thanks Bob.
I had planned to contact Engles next week to get the VINs and tracking website.
Now I have the website :)

gb

Isn’t 2023 the 100 year anniversary? With the chip problems and pandemic manufacturing issues, I’m waiting until 2023 for the 100 year anniversary edition.

Isn’t 2023 the 100 year anniversary? With the chip problems and pandemic manufacturing issues, I’m waiting until 2023 for the 100 year anniversary edition.

The 100 year anniversary will probably just be a special color.
Sounds like 2023 will be a big year for the R1300GS.
It will probably be 2024 before the RT gets the new engine.

The 100 year anniversary will probably just be a special color.
Sounds like 2023 will be a big year for the R1300GS.
It will probably be 2024 before the RT gets the new engine.
Do any hard core bmw riders want that massive engine in the RT model? Not certain I would like that layout, seems little room for feet plus it has got to kick off more heat then the 1250 engine.

I ordered my 2021 R1250RT on March 13th and finally arrived on August 11th.

I ordered my 2018 in November, finally got one, not the one I ordered in mid May. I finally had to shop on internet to find a 719 blue at another dealer. Told my dealer I was not waiting any long, either they ship the one I found to my dealer or I would buy form competing dealership. They traded the one I ordered I guess to rival dealership. Since then they have been a very attentive dealership to me. Would I buy from them again, yes, but order another one, nope!

One of the local dealers here told me that all BMW motorcycles come through customs in New Jersey. Consequently, the New Jersey dealers typically get the models first just due to their proximity. So, if you're really curious as to when they will make to your part of the country, you can track to see when the New Jersey dealers have some in their show rooms, then guesstimate how long it might before they make it to your neck of the woods. Of course, others had a more definitive answer.

One of the local dealers here told me that all BMW motorcycles come through customs in New Jersey. Consequently, the New Jersey dealers typically get the models first just due to their proximity. So, if you're really curious as to when they will make to your part of the country, you can track to see when the New Jersey dealers have some in their show rooms, then guesstimate how long it might before they make it to your neck of the woods. Of course, others had a more definitive answer.
Possibly. I live in NC and my NC dealer got the first 2014 RT. Which I still have.

Better off with the 2021?

This is slightly off topic, but I have just been told (by a really big dealership) that due to the ongoing microchip shortage the 2022 RT’s may not have the Automatic (adaptive) Cruise Control feature available on the first batch of bikes shipped… the hardware will be in place but the functionality will be delayed until the right processors can be added to the mix!

I have no way of verifying any of this, but I do trust the source. Supply chain issues these days are fluid by definition, so this may or may not be true as these newest bikes are starting to ship out.

FWIW, my new 2021 RT has a fully functional short-range radar/ACC system in place. My bike’s harness is “stubbed”, ready to receive the radio module (speakers are in place) when it becomes available, again not shipped OEM due to the microchip shortage.

It’s worse than we thought!? IDK…

I posted this back in 2016. Another member who worked at a BMW dealership added some edits as well.

Ordering a BMW car and motorcycle essentially works the same way:

I have the VINs now and the container number.
I don't have the name of the ship.
Our bikes were made Aug 24th and 25th.
They will be loaded on the ship Sep 14 and estimated arrival in NY is Sep 25th.

Last edited:
Do any hard core bmw riders want that massive engine in the RT model? Not certain I would like that layout, seems little room for feet plus it has got to kick off more heat then the 1250 engine.

Umm... A 1300cc motor in the RT would be 46cc more than the 1250 were it to be exactly 1300cc. Back when I was beginning to ride as a an early teen, 1300cc was massive. Today? No so much. Everything is relative. The Triumph Rocket 3 has an engine that is the same size as the engine in our Mazda CX-5 Signature (2500cc). That is what a massive motorcycle engine is these days.

Heat? I get very little heat from the engine on my R1250RT. Heat management on it is the best on it than any bike I've ever owned. Given that BMW learned their lesson on heat management long ago, I expect the R1300RT to be equally as good (probably better), especially as it looks like it's majority to 100% "water" cooled. This also means the 1300 is most likely going run cooler than the current 1250 motors which are 70% air, 30% water cooled (when moving).

As I have owned no other brand than BMW, I reckon I qualify as a "hard core" BMW rider. Were I in the market for a new RT in 2023, I am sure I would love having the new R1300 motor in my RT. I sure as heck love the slightly smaller R1250 motor in my current RT. Of all the BMW motorcycles I've owned, my RT has the most power, most useable power, and at the same time, get's the best fuel economy of all the bikes I've owned. So yeah, I'd like to have that "massive engine" :D

I'm guessing you're thinking of the R1800 engine?

I am considering upgrading my '15 RT to a '21 or '22 model. I've googled changes to the '22 model and there doesn't seem to be much information beyond color/appearance changes. From those in "the know," are there important fixes/upgrades to components on the '22 that would make it a better choice than the '21? I would like to save money and get a used '21 (if I can find one), but would opt for '22 if it will have some critical component fixes.

Thanks!
Damon

The 4 buttons on the lower L fairing being programmable are what I remember as the main difference. Unless that is important to you I would get the '21 if it would save me a chunk of money (of course you would have to decide what a chunk means to you).

The 4 buttons on the lower L fairing being programmable are what I remember as the main difference. Unless that is important to you I would get the '21 if it would save me a chunk of money (of course you would have to decide what a chunk means to you).

These buttons are programmable on the 21 1250RT with firmware update 012_007_030, which I had done and confirmed on Friday at the dealership. This is the latest version.

Back