• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mothers back to black trim care

brownie0486

While on my 5 state tour last month with my brother, I spent 3 days at his place in Colorado before pushing for home [ Az. ] after traveling through Utah, Wy. and SD.

I'd been using acf-50 to bring the black plastic back to looking new for the last two motors [ GS, and now RS ]. Acf-50 works great, but it doesn't last very long and I found I needed to reapply it often to keep up with it.

He showed me a product called "back to black" he'd been using on his black plastic parts on his GT. He did my mirrors and the center piece between the headlights. Seemed to do the job as well as the acf-50 I'd been using at bringing the plastic back to looking new.

Well, I rode in light to steady to down pouring rain for hours the first day out going over Independence Pass on a detour from Route 70 due to mudslides. Second day to home was quite nice, but the bike looked a mess [ of course ]. Got home, washed and quickly detailed the bike, then did it again a few days later to bring it back to my liking. I noticed the pieces he applied the back to black to were still looking like new [ the acf-50 would not have held up to a solid day of rain, and a second day of extreme sun/heat, from experience ].

I ordered some last week and just applied it to all black parts on my RS this morning. That this stuff holds up in the rain like it did, and doesn't appear to need to be applied as often as the acf-50 is a plus. Less time to keep the bike looking good means more riding time. Thought others may be interested in my findings on this product.

I've been using Mothers Back to Black for some time now, works very well and as you indicated it's durable, seems like only one applications a year and I'm good to go. After wash's I use Meguiars Natural Shine Protectant. Another Meguiars product I like is the Ultimate Wax, stuff wont discolor black trim if you accidentally get some on it.

I've been using Mothers Back to Black for some time now, works very well and as you indicated it's durable, seems like only one applications a year and I'm good to go. After wash's I use Meguiars Natural Shine Protectant. Another Meguiars product I like is the Ultimate Wax, stuff wont discolor black trim if you accidentally get some on it.

Which I constantly run into on the RS no matter how careful I try to be [ better lighting might help as it's usually in the garage when I'm waxing the bike. I'll look into that product, thank you.

Back to Black was a staple for me when I owned a Chevy Avalanche with all the plastic cladding.
Living in the Keys, washing and waxing was a monthly routine and even after 10 years the truck looked like new, even to the point that some people though I had it repainted, which I never did.
Now I use back to black on my GS and since it is a triple black color scheme, I am happy to report that it works very well. YMMV

I used back to black for years, but then took a leap of faith and tried New Wipe. Amazing stuff! Only need to put it on every 2-3 years or so. Then I use 303 Aerospace as a quick spray and wipe when needed. All the plastic/rubber on my 08' F800ST with 67k miles looks brand new. Seriously.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Back