• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Should I be paying for a brake bleed six weeks after buying a new BMW?

"I haven't met Bob: he wasn't there when I purchased the bike. I've been advised by local riders that if a matter reaches Bob's desk that it may be an unpleasant experience for the customer"

Wow. Just wow. Were that to happen to me the owner would have a very unpleasant experience as I would have documented by video the exact behavior of the brake being pulled all the way to the handle grip, or pinky. That is a serious safety issue. You (Bob's) and BMW won't cover it? Let me file a vehicle safety complaint with the NHTSA and you can talk to them. I'd also file a consumer protect complaint.

I've spoken to Bob many times at Rallies. He seems nice enough, but seems more aloof now than when I first met him way back when. The first time was before he even owned a dealership. Back in those days he was "Bob's Used Parts" which saved a lot of us a lot of money on parts. Since then, based on what I've read on forums, he and his dealership have become quite arrogant.

Since it was only $148 and the brakes are right, the best thing is to let folks know about your experience like has been done here so people can better make an informed decision on which dealer to do business with.

At least the brake service was done correctly and your bike is good to go.

I've wondered what sort of operating environment they have internally that has a service writer handling my situation the way he did.

It is nice to have responsive brakes :)

I've been advised by local riders that if a matter reaches Bob's desk that it may be an unpleasant experience for the customer..

That is not my impression at all. It may be unpleasant for an employee but he is all about customer service. It's not a perfect operation. Just give him a call.

I've wondered what sort of operating environment they have internally that has a service writer handling my situation the way he did.

It is nice to have responsive brakes :)

I have no doubt that you were badly treated, but your response has been off the mark. At this point I think you are being unfair to Bob, the owner. Unless and until you at least make an attempt to meet with him and tell him what happened your complaint is unlikely to be resolved and comes across as a bit strained. Bob's name is now out in the open and he deserves an opportunity to respond to you. Trying to meet with the owner of a small business to resolve disputes should come long before trying to get a corporation involved or seeking any remedy outside the company, and certainly before airing the grievance in public. I realize you revealed his name somewhat reluctantly and only after pursuing what in your mind were appropriate avenues to get the issue resolved, but it is out there now and you should meet with Bob.

I have no doubt that you were badly treated, but your response has been off the mark. At this point I think you are being unfair to Bob, the owner. Unless and until you at least make an attempt to meet with him and tell him what happened your complaint is unlikely to be resolved and comes across as a bit strained. Bob's name is now out in the open and he deserves an opportunity to respond to you. Trying to meet with the owner of a small business to resolve disputes should come long before trying to get a corporation involved or seeking any remedy outside the company, and certainly before airing the grievance in public. I realize you revealed his name somewhat reluctantly and only after pursuing what in your mind were appropriate avenues to get the issue resolved, but it is out there now and you should meet with Bob.

Fair points and I may well talk to dealership management now that BMW Customer Relations has made their reluctance to assist in resolution so clear. In retrospect I'd prefer to have further worked with the dealership prior to reaching out to the corporation. That said, I had every right to request assistance from BMW Customer Relations based on the original interaction: what justification was there for the service writer to assert that I should pay for 'annual' maintenance on a brand new bike after less than six weeks of ownership?

There was no justification for the way you were treated, none at all. Additionally, you were free to contact whoever you wished, but it wasn’t, in my opinion, the smart way to respond, it wasn’t effective in resolving the issue and it wasn’t fair to the owner.

I hope you are able to speak with the owner and he corrects the problem.

Hopefully someone with a relationship with this dealer forwards this thread to the dealership.

I often wonder why dealers don’t join the MOA and use the vendor section to highlight their dealerships.

OM

Bob's name was exposed only because he named the dealership after himself "Bob's BMW Motorcycles." But, I do agree he should be given a chance to straighten up the situation. Although, I would wager he has read this thread, and is waiting for the call. (Not that he will necessarily respond to it.)

E.

Jeebus, folks. This is a molehill. The OP should just pick up the phone, ask for Bob and ask if he should have been charged for a repair on a new bike. Or email him. I did that about 20 years ago when I thought something was wrong with an experience I had there and he totally made good on it.

Or I guess the whole world could threaten to never go to Bob's again for over something that Bob doesn't even know about. Yeah, that's better.

I often wonder why dealers don’t join the MOA and use the vendor section to highlight their dealerships.

Just a point of order, Bob is an MOA Ambassador and has been exceptionally supportive of the MOA for as long as I can remember.

Jeebus, folks. This is a molehill. The OP should just pick up the phone, ask for Bob and ask if he should have been charged for a repair on a new bike. Or email him. I did that about 20 years ago when I thought something was wrong with an experience I had there and he totally made good on it.

Or I guess the whole world could threaten to never go to Bob's again for over something that Bob doesn't even know about. Yeah, that's better.

:bow:bow

There appears to be a presumption that I'm the only party that has agency here, and that I should contact Bob directly to seek resolution. Bob's BMW has agency as well, and if they care about customer satisfaction they can take the initiative to provide it.

I've already said I may well pick up the phone or email Bob's. However:
  • I asked that question of the service writer before the service
  • I asked that question of the service writer after the service
  • I asked that question of BMW Customer Relations in the case I opened
  • I asked that question of BMW MOA members in this thread after five days and three unreturned phone calls to BMW Customer Relations regarding my case
Ten days after I opened the case the agent finally talked to me and provided zero assistance, taking a ludicrous position that absolves BMW Customer Relations of responsibility for customer relations related to 'maintenance'.

Now if I've:
  • Asked the service writer twice to ask BMW to handle this as a warranty claim
  • Opened a case with BMW Customer Relations asking them to handle this as a warranty or goodwill claim
  • Talked to local riders (some of whom know Bob)
  • Talked to a customer relations agent who said another agent was assigned to my case and he'd let them know I wanted to discuss my case
  • Left two voice mails directly to the assigned agent asking to discuss my case
  • Opened a thread on BMW MOA asking my question and receiving dozens of responses
  • Discussed my case (finally) with the assigned BMW Customer Relations agent
Yet three weeks after the incident Bob still doesn't even know, then he's been let down by his service department, BMW Customer Relations, and whoever in his dealership monitors social media. How could he still be unaware of this?

At some point it's Bob's responsibility, rather than mine, to pick up the phone, send an email, or simply refund my payment, and if not Bob then someone at Bob's BMW that has responsibility for customer satisfaction, because they're the ones who should be interested in customer satisfaction. No customer should have to make repeated attempts to resolve what should be a very simple issue / address my very simple question.

As for the whole world not going to Bob's BMW: I never suggested anyone else stop doing business with Bob's BMW, and I was perfectly happy to keep the dealership name out of the discussion until the reasonable case was made that I do other riders a disservice by not identifying the dealership that charged me for something I feel should have been handled as a warranty or goodwill item. Based on the responses here many others also feel this should've been handled under warranty/goodwill.

I agree with Anton. I would call and talk directly to the owner since a subordinate did not provide me satisfaction. It is unlikely that BMW corporate has contacted the owner. As a matter of policy they almost never intervene is service decisions and disputes. The dealerships are after all separate businesses from the mothership. It is also unlikely that the service writer who handles dozens of services and repairs has talked to the owner since he/she seems satisfied with the decision.

While it is possible that the owner has been made aware of this thread, that is certainly not a foregone conclusion. So to me a phone call seems like a reasonable thing to do.

I agree with Paul. Be the better person, and call Bob to get a peaceful and reasonable resolution, and then let us know what happened.

E.

I've already said I may well pick up the phone or email Bob's.

Seriously? You haven't contacted anyone up the chain at Bob's? What a stellar idea.

Bob's doesn't have "agency" - you're the guy with the issue and it seems you haven't even afforded them the courtesy to allow them to look into your complaint. Instead you call BMW NA expecting them to do everything for you. With the time you've spent outlining your position (multiple times) you could have resolved the problem. Instead you tell your woes to everyone who can't do a thing to help. Right now you're coming off as keyboard warrior. :banghead

Seriously? You haven't contacted anyone up the chain at Bob's? What a stellar idea.

Bob's doesn't have "agency" - you're the guy with the issue and it seems you haven't even afforded them the courtesy to allow them to look into your complaint. Instead you call BMW NA expecting them to do everything for you. With the time you've spent outlining your position (multiple times) you could have resolved the problem. Instead you tell your woes to everyone who can't do a thing to help. Right now you're coming off as keyboard warrior. :banghead

Maybe you can provide they way to gain access to the owner? The next time you are having dinner with Bob, bring it up...maybe you could send the OP Bob’s cell number via PM?
OM

Speaking from a legal viewpoint, that is exactly what Bob has. The service writer is Bob's legally designated agent, and the OP is under no obligation to speak with Bob. But, I think it is a good idea. Who knows he may get his money back, and a t-shirt. Either way the OP now has nothing to lose.

E.

Last edited:
I can't believe that this has gone as far as it has! The fact is that no matter what, Bob is readily available by phone as long as he is physically in the store. If he has a private phone number then it should be respected as being private and not for use for business purposes.
To bash around for an extended period of time and being reluctant to even name the Dealer tells me that perhaps there is something fishy about the whole story!
It seems to me that If you are questioning the service guy then a simple walk up front to speak to Bob about this, would be the most direct solution to your problem. I'd certainly want to do this first and expect some sort of conclusion, before dragging it out on a public forum.

Back