• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2016 Rally location?

Will be attending this one. Rolling up from NJ won't be a problem at all.

Just curious, having only been to two MOA rallies (Johnson City and Bloomsburg), is the rally growing that they seem to be choosing locations outside of large cities? (St. Paul, MN?) While I'll surely attend, from what I'm seeing on the maps, it doesn't look like much interesting riding nearby.

We choose locations, in large part, according to our ability to get a liquor license to sell beer. Larger venues near bigger cities almost always have a concessions contract which results in $5+ cups of crappy beer.

This, of course, results in people riding off-site to buy their own beer... and often that ride is after drinking what one had brought and running out. So in many cases that ride for more beer is done "under the influence," clearly a safety issue.

That's the basic theory.

Ian

I know now we use the 4 zone map for the National Rallies.

Last year was zone III
This year is zone II
Next year is zone IV

If I follow the pattern correctly 2017 should be zone I

Then do we repeat the pattern again?

Yes it goes in order. III, II, IV, I.
Unless they change the shape or location of the zones.
Then it will be A, 2, III, ^, >,<.
But it will always be in order.
In mid July.

HAMBURG NY !!!!!!!! What a Poor choice. What is there to offer???? Niagara Falls? Got a passport? Canadian side is so much better. Ride locally? Where? For what? Wine area of the Finger Lakes? Two-three hour ride through some of the most boring area. Adirondack's four hours east. Who ever came up with Hamburg must have been paid well. Poor, poor choice I know, I live 37 miles southwest. I'll entertain the idea of a BMW RA rally next year. HAMBURG NY, YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING!!!!!!!!:banghead

HAMBURG NY !!!!!!!! What a Poor choice. What is there to offer???? Niagara Falls? Got a passport? Canadian side is so much better. Ride locally? Where? For what? Wine area of the Finger Lakes? Two-three hour ride through some of the most boring area. Adirondack's four hours east. Who ever came up with Hamburg must have been paid well. Poor, poor choice I know, I live 37 miles southwest. I'll entertain the idea of a BMW RA rally next year. HAMBURG NY, YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING!!!!!!!!:banghead

Well let's see..............................

Ride to an area I've never been to before. Enjoy the seminars, vendors, beer garden. Maybe win a prize. Volunteer for a couple of shifts. Catch up with friends and make new ones. Test rides!
Tour FLW's Graycliff Estate a mere 10 miles from the rally site.

I guess if you live close by and are jaded it's not a good choice.

But I've got you beat if you think that is a boring area to ride-

saskatchewan-highway.jpg

And just to prove it, here's a link to street view:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/SK...0x531ae53a217e9eb3:0xa1c33074b59c2c11!6m1!1e1

Attachments

• 220px-Junction42.jpg
    220px-Junction42.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:

Thanks for your comments.

Think of the locals who think their area has never been chosen for anything.

Since you don't like the area, may I assume you will not be at the Rally.

Or since you think the area is BAD.

You will be working the RALLY, letting someone who want to tour the area free to do sop.

Billings

Billings may have met all of the criteria for a rally site, but living in Montana as I do.......it's my (and most of my friends) least favorite town in Montana.
Bozeman would have been a MUCH better choice. The Billings rally site is located right next to two oil refineries and a sewage treatment plant.....in the most depressed part of town?:scratch

From where we live in the Texas Big Bend it is about 2,000 miles to Hamburg. I will have to suffer through riding through the Ozarks in Arkansas, the hills of Tennessee, Kentucky horse country, and the ridges and valleys of West Virginia.

I could choose to hit the interstate and go Dallas, Oklahoma City, St. Louis, Indianapolis, and Toledo but I think I won't. I don't know why I would torture myself when I don't need to.

I might even decide to go to Duluth and north around the lakes, or to Sault Ste Marie and down to Lockport.

What happens to be within 50 miles of the rally site doesn't matter to me a whole lot. I am usually too busy on the rally grounds to care.

Last edited:
From where Ilive in the Texas Big Bend it is about 2,000 miles to Hamburg. I will have to suffer through riding through the Ozarks in Arkansas, the hills of Tennessee, Kentucky horse country, and the ridges and valleys of West Virginia.

I could choose to hit the interstate and go Dallas, Oklahoma City, St. Louis, Indianapolis, and Toledo but I think I won't. I don't know why I would torture myself when I don't need to.

I might even decide to go to Duluth and north around the lakes, or to Sault Ste Marie and down to Lockport.

What happens to be within 50 miles of the rally site doesn't matter to me a whole lot. I am usually too busy on the rally grounds to care.

You and Voni always seem to "Take the long way home." :wave

Hamburg NY: I've liked Rt 219 to the South from I80 in Northern PA, Passport ...

I've liked Rt 219 to the South from I80 in Northern PA. Goes through an off season tiny ski town.

Pack Passport to see the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.

To the south, less than 2 hours Allegheny Nat'l Forest in PA has many many miles of dirt roads. Saint Mary's PA has a small Brewery, Straub. (http://www.straubbeer.com/visit-us/brewery-tours.php)

Philly Guy

2016 MOA Rally

I lived in Buffalo for several years and left more for economic reasons that anything else. Made a visit last summer to see old friends left behind 14 years ago and was pleasantly surprised to see that the downtown area has had some energy put into it along the waterfront which was completely underutilized for years. The Finger Lake region is relatively close as is Niagara Falls. Toronto isn't a great ride to get to but a great city to visit and more bucolic than you might imagine for a city of its size. They also grow a lot of grapes nearby which is good because it sounds like a lot of 'whining' 14 months before the event even happens!

cant believe it is that close

Let me list something s to do
city of buffalo
niagara falls
frank loyd Wright
hersel Spillman
fredrick law omstead
lake erie
lake Ontario
niagara river
finger lakes region
Canada
erie canal
that's off the top of my head
there's a lot more

I Love NY

As a native Western Ny'er I'm happy the 2016 is in NY, but Hamburg?

Looking at the Northeast part of the country the National has been in:
1978 Rutland VT
1983 Lake Placid NY
1989 York PA
1994 Moodus CT
1999 Rhinebeck NY
2002 Trenton ON
2006 Essex Junction VT
2011 Bloomsburg PA

As other posters have related The Fingerlakes region and wine country is hours from Hamburg. While there may be some worthwhile roads to be found, this area is nothing like the Fingerlakes, Adirondack or Catskill regions of the state for riding. Sure there is volunteering, supporting the vendors and seminars.. but riding within 15-30 minutes of the site should showcase the state.. that is not the case with Hamburg

If NY was to be it what happened to the rest of the state? A repeat of Lake Placid location or showing Saratoga locals MOA is much different than Americade would have been better choices.. Sorry I do not know the Catskills well enough to propose a good location there..

No significant dealer near by, suggest you get an E-Z Pass

I hate to point out another obvious problem with having the 2016 MOA rally in Hamburg but the closest BMW dealer is near Rochester, NY and it is a smaller dealer with possibly limited shop space and help. I called them several weeks ago about doing a valve gasket on a F800 and the wait time was 3 weeks for an appointment. That shop is going to be almost 2 hrs away. I would recommend any out of NY travelers coming to the rally to get the bike registered for EZ Pass. The NYS Thruway is a toll highway and it can be very very slow waiting in line at major stop all traffic toll booths in the Buffalo area on bikes. There are many out of state cars without this convenience. So if you are on that highway traveling from the West or East, you will run into this stumbling block. The web site to register is: http://e-zpassny.com/ for those interested in looking into this. Moreover, if in the area going to see Niagara Falls is a must. Yes, going to the Canadian side is more picture perfect but the traffic downtown in Niagara Falls, CA is really busy waiting to go over the Rainbow Bridge after 9-11. Lots of over heating air cooled bikes possible on a hot day. You can go to Canada with a US Passport or "Enhanced" driver's license. The fastest and most direct way is going to be interstate from the fairgrounds and this involves some tolls too. E-Z Pass is going to be very very helpful.

For what it is worth, I have lived in NY my whole life. I dare say I am older than 90% of the members and I have ridden BMW bikes longer that most members or people reading this have. This area in and around Buffalo is not a real picturesque bikers heaven. It is flat. No real interesting riding until you get into the country around the area. Niagara Falls is the best attraction and it worth the effort to see. I believe strongly the most beautiful portion of Upstate NY is going to be a few hours East in the Finger Lakes, including especially Letchworth State Park, Watkins Glen State Park, Seneca Lake, Keuka Lake, etc. However, there are ski resorts and nice riding roads not too far away from the rally around Ellicotville that would be fun to ride too.

Look, there are going to be negatives about any rally location. This is a big country. Lots of roads and lot of things to see. I have never been to a MOA rally and if I live to see it, next July, I will certainly attend even if I have to do it from my wheelchair. I look forward to it already.

Ellicotville is the only ride that came to mind for that area, but as stated the area is fairly flat and not a bikers haven. The point about dealer service is a good one, Troy NY near Saratoga Springs is much better suited to addressing problems on short notice.

Hamburg???!!!

I attended many a county fair at the Erie County Fair and Exposition. I will be riding south to my old hometown of Westfalls and surrounding areas. I hope they have some shade in the camping area. Not the best place for a rally but I will be able to visit some old friends and relatives. Wings are not the only famous area food. Make sure to get some beef on weck rolls with horseradish in Orchard Park. Forgot the name of the place. As I remember, there are bars on every corner(almost)

Should be fun

We are already planning our route. We will leave the coast and hit I-40 to the farm near Mt. Airy, NC and drop off the dogs and leave my truck. The roads from the NC mountains to Hamburg look absolutely delicious. I have not been to Canada since I was 17 y/o; so it will be fun going back.

Back