• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Problems with the new 1600 models

Wethead

I remember the first batch of 1600 had quite a bit of troubles (water pump, the electronic on the handlebar, squeaky forks, some oil leaks)
Has that all been taken care of?
Are there any problems with the 2014 or 2015 16hundreds?

I remember the first batch of 1600 had quite a bit of troubles (water pump, the electronic on the handlebar, squeaky forks, some oil leaks)
Has that all been taken care of?
Are there any problems with the 2014 or 2015 16hundreds?

I have a early 2013 with over 30k miles. The only problem I had (other than tires due to a itchy throttle wrist) was my resume switch for my cruise, which I had replaced (warrantee recall/new switch design) less than a week later.

As far as reports I have read (plenty of threads over at k1600forum.com), the K1600 platform is pretty darn solid. There are the anomalies as with anything, but I think they are pretty few and far between, and some caused by human/shop error, not manufacturer.

I have a early 2013 with over 30k miles. The only problem I had (other than tires due to a itchy throttle wrist) was my resume switch for my cruise, which I had replaced (warrantee recall/new switch design) less than a week later.

As far as reports I have read (plenty of threads over at k1600forum.com), the K1600 platform is pretty darn solid. There are the anomalies as with anything, but I think they are pretty few and far between, and some caused by human/shop error, not manufacturer.

According to members in my local MOA club, every K1600 sold in AZ up to June 2012 had at least one water pump failure. One member is on number 4. I know they revised the part and his #4 is the revised part, but he actually bought a spare to take with him on trips as the last time his bike died out of state and it took a week to get the part. It could be and probably is that the newer K bikes don't have this problem, but the early one's did.

Funny, I've just been thinking that there seems to be quite a few one or two year old K1600s listed in classifieds, both this site and elsewhere. Makes me wonder if people are selling them before the warranty expires, or did too many people buy too big of a bike for them? It IS a lot to handle for someone not used to something like that.

Funny, I've just been thinking that there seems to be quite a few one or two year old K1600s listed in classifieds, both this site and elsewhere. Makes me wonder if people are selling them before the warranty expires, or did too many people buy too big of a bike for them? It IS a lot to handle for someone not used to something like that.

I've seen a lot of 2012 and 2013 used K models out there. I have to wonder too. It could be the RT replacing them or the Goldwing or both. I've seen mileages from 4K to 38K. Most are in the 15k-20K mile range. Who knows.

Over on the K1600forum.com the water pump was an issue for the early models (but not all). As far as the 2013s and above it is a far less prevalent issue. How many in the AZ club actually own K1600s, or are they hearing hearsay? I know of at least a few 50,000 mile+ K1600 without problems. I also know that 2012 is in that range where the BMW warrantee expires, and a large percentage of the riders opt to buy a new K1600, either to upgrade to a GTL or Exclusive, or go down to the GT/GT Sport for a different seating position.

I would not hesitate to buy another K1600, but mine fits me well and I hate to think about all the time I put into farkling it. The Exclusive does look appealing though.

Over on the K1600forum.com the water pump was an issue for the early models (but not all). As far as the 2013s and above it is a far less prevalent issue. How many in the AZ club actually own K1600s, or are they hearing hearsay? I know of at least a few 50,000 mile+ K1600 without problems. I also know that 2012 is in that range where the BMW warrantee expires, and a large percentage of the riders opt to buy a new K1600, either to upgrade to a GTL or Exclusive, or go down to the GT/GT Sport for a different seating position.

I would not hesitate to buy another K1600, but mine fits me well and I hate to think about all the time I put into farkling it. The Exclusive does look appealing though.

And may be riding in the heat we do pushes a bike a little more. Whatever the case, BMW didn't do their due diligence with testing. As far as hearsay, I know that a few of them had multiple water pump failures.

How many in the AZ club actually own K1600s, or are they hearing hearsay? .

There are 3 of us that I know of. 1 ( 2011 pre order)has had 3 that I know of, 1 of which was in Austin last year when we rode out for MOTOGP. A 12 model has had 2 and my 13 is still on the stocker (knock on wood)
Biggest thing is they were replacing bad, faulty with new bad, faulty pumps until they finally redesigned or refitted the shaft seal that was leaking.
Like its been said for thousands of years, anything mechanical will break at some point. Warranty and extended warranty will keep me on this one for quite a while.

There are 3 of us that I know of. 1 ( 2011 pre order)has had 3 that I know of, 1 of which was in Austin last year when we rode out for MOTOGP. A 12 model has had 2 and my 13 is still on the stocker (knock on wood)
Biggest thing is they were replacing bad, faulty with new bad, faulty pumps until they finally redesigned or refitted the shaft seal that was leaking.
Like its been said for thousands of years, anything mechanical will break at some point. Warranty and extended warranty will keep me on this one for quite a while.

Water pump and switches both fall into the replacing bad with bad. In the case of the switch clusters it was because the underlying circuit film did not have enough freedom to expand and contract with temperature variations. Replacing them would fix it for a little while, until the switch cluster experienced another heat/cooling event to ruin them again. For the guys that were heat based, adding ice packs would contract the plastics and allow the electrical connections to be made again inside the cluster. The new switches have a tactile feel to them now, and the contact films float so they can compensate for the differences in the expansion and contraction of the different plastics and metals used.

Or at least that's how I read it, lol. :brad

I think may be more. BB, Enrique and Don for sure. Don is on #4. I think it happened in Austin last year. He had to leave his bike as the part would take a week to get.

The sheer number of 2012 K1600s for sale here in the Southwest is stunning. Whatever the reason it made me very skeptical when I was researching what to buy recently. Also saw one or two 2012 K1600s that were for sale due to lemon laws expediting their return. Not good.

The final decision for me was that my wife simply has no interest in motorcycles so my decision to get the R1200RT was an easy one. From what I've seen and heard the K1600 is designed primarily for two riders. I'm not sure how true that is but the extra weight and price pushed me to the R1200RT.

I feel the same way. The RT is the 'go anywhere' bike, short or long trips, and the K16 is the cross the country bike.

38k on my 2012 and it's been rock solid. Switch gear and water pump replaced under warranty and new part # seems solid. Wouldn't hesitate to go cross country tomorrow on it. (Even water pump leak was really minimal, rode 4k miles waiting for new part and coolant went down maybe 1/8th of an inch.

38k on my 2012 and it's been rock solid. Switch gear and water pump replaced under warranty and new part # seems solid. Wouldn't hesitate to go cross country tomorrow on it. (Even water pump leak was really minimal, rode 4k miles waiting for new part and coolant went down maybe 1/8th of an inch.

I wouldn't call a water pump and switchgear failure rock solid. May be that's the standard for BMW...

I wouldn't call a water pump and switchgear failure rock solid. May be that's the standard for BMW...

It's never left me stranded. . .guess that's my definition. Of course I'd rather ride than obsess about stuff that could go wrong. You see it with every brand, when I rode Harley's it was cam chain tensioners and lifters . . .but the fact that it looked like an epidemic never left me stranded and didn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of the bike.

It's never left me stranded. . .guess that's my definition. Of course I'd rather ride than obsess about stuff that could go wrong. You see it with every brand, when I rode Harley's it was cam chain tensioners and lifters . . .but the fact that it looked like an epidemic never left me stranded and didn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of the bike.

To me, rock solid is no problems, just maintenance. That's the experience I've had with Kawasakis and VWs. Switch gear and water pumps have been pretty much worked out too. It's not like something high tech broke.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from but literally that's been my experience with this bike. Only out of pocket is tires, brake pads, oil and filters etc.

Put 209k on a VW TDI and it was far from perfect. . . Loved the 50mpg though and it never left me stranded either. :)

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from but literally that's been my experience with this bike. Only out of pocket is tires, brake pads, oil and filters etc.

Put 209k on a VW TDI and it was far from perfect. . . Loved the 50mpg though and it never left me stranded either. :)

I've had 4 VWs so far. My 2001 Jetta had the original clutch when I sold it after 12 years and 150K miles. Nothing broke on it. I have a 2013 Passat and no problems after 40K miles.

I had an older Golf. The 4th time it left me stranded at an inconvenient time and location (starter twice, ignition module twice) I hitchhiked home, got my truck, took the VW title to the salvage yard, told them where it was, handed them the title and told them they could have it for getting it off the shoulder of the highway.

Never look back!!

Back