• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW dealers

AZrider
dealers like in Las Vegas
Had 36k service on my r1200gs on wed. next morning went for ride and computer said check oil so I did it was low. so I checked for leakage none had 30mi on od. went back to dealer today and talked to Man in charge of whole operation. he listened went to check with mech and look at bike came to me and refused to top oil off. this was the 6 oil change I've had and am very hands on watching levels. normally do my own work but I bought maint contract since it was the first water gs sold from this shop. wanted to be sure it was done by book. the manager as much as called me an idit and said the level was ok per BMW standards and wanted to show me on paper. knew where this was headed and told him so. went home added oil to correct mark and it took 10 oz. would anyone accept an oil change short 10 oz. this was 3rd new bike I bought from them and have had all my work done there for over 170,000 miles. I've had it with them. last oil change they refused to cancel the service alert unless I paid $50 to hook up computer. response please

According to article in BMW Motorcycle Magazine reducing motor oil level to 1/2 sight glass improves transmission shifting quality.

I believe your 10 oz represents about 1/3 quart which is a piddly amount to complain about in any event.

I'd instead complain about operation of the oil level warning system, as yours is way too sensitive and IMHO defective.

Not sure what response you expect other than either take your bike to another dealer or learn how to do the work yourself.

Not sure what response you expect other than either take your bike to another dealer or learn how to do the work yourself.

any response thank you! but I guess I didn't use the proper english to explain my problem.
1. 2013 gs new everything bike protecting myself with warranties and maintenance
2. paid for a contract up front for services

it was stated 10oz in nothing so let the dealer charge full rates but give less then full service lets see did they check valves, did they check coolant level, were the spark plugs replaced, you can see where this is going
12000 mi ago had oil and filter 6000mi service unknown to me at the time the work was done in different garage by a KLM mech without a BMW computer and when I got on bike saw the service note on asked why and would they update. they said no it would be a $50 charge and the KLM mech was certified BMW but he did get the oil level right

A little over a year ago they changed management to a bottom line dollar only I've dealt with this store since 2006 and never had a problem with service being outstanding I also did a lot of my own work even to changing my own tires and balancing I have come to expect top grade service

after 500k mi on BMW I am serious considering changing brands I just feel I would no longer be supported by BMW in event of breakdown
the next store is 140mi away

You may have discerned that you are not getting any love concerning your complaint. Perhaps you were still angry when you wrote your post and perhaps that affected the tone that you conveyed, but it does sound like an overreaction to a fairly trivial complaint. You may have burned your bridges at that dealership by having what sounds like a heated exchange with the Service Manager. I hope your maintenance contract is good at other dealerships. If not, then you have wasted money or are going to have to entrust your bike with a service department that you do not have faith in and that is managed by a person you have argued with and who you believe thinks you are an idit. :) Good luck.

All HonKawYamSuzHD service managers are understanding and compliant with all their customers....switch brands! First see if you can get a pro-rated refund on the service contract you purchased.

I may be comparing apples with oranges but here is what I know.
Oil expands a lot between cold and hot.
My K1600GTL calls for 4.5qt of oil on an oil change.
If you check the oil while it's still cold it will be low.
The owners manual says to put the bike on the center stand, start the engine and let it run
till the cooling fans come on, shut it down and wait one minute before checking the oil.
The oil is now at operating temperature and is right at the full mark.

after 500k mi on BMW I am serious considering changing brands I just feel I would no longer be supported by BMW in event of breakdown the next store is 140mi away

Ok, so now you've decided to leave out punctuation, too.

What do you expect in way of a response? Do you want someone to agree that you've been treated horribly? What good would that do? Do you want us to talk to you out of changing brands? You're likely a grownup so you can probably make that decision on your own.

I think akbeemer has pretty much nailed it.

Mountains out of molehills is what I say. Good luck with it all.

dealers like in Las Vegas
Had 36k service on my r1200gs on wed. next morning went for ride and computer said check oil so I did it was low. so I checked for leakage none had 30mi on od. went back to dealer today and talked to Man in charge of whole operation. he listened went to check with mech and look at bike came to me and refused to top oil off. this was the 6 oil change I've had and am very hands on watching levels. normally do my own work but I bought maint contract since it was the first water gs sold from this shop. wanted to be sure it was done by book. the manager as much as called me an idit and said the level was ok per BMW standards and wanted to show me on paper. knew where this was headed and told him so. went home added oil to correct mark and it took 10 oz. would anyone accept an oil change short 10 oz. this was 3rd new bike I bought from them and have had all my work done there for over 170,000 miles. I've had it with them. last oil change they refused to cancel the service alert unless I paid $50 to hook up computer. response please

You definitely got lousy service. My only hope is that you have an alternate BMW dealer that you can turn to.

I agree - an oil change 10 oz. light is sloppy workmanship. Refusing to reset the 'Service Alert' unless you ponyed up $50 is ridiculous. Not all BMW dealers are this antagonistic. I had no such troubles under similar circumstance with the former Nick's BMW in DePere, WI, as well as excellent service at some dealers (Indianapolis and Denver) on the road.

You pretty much need that sight glass 3/4 full to avoid intermittent warnings on the display. 10 oz. light? :banghead

Better luck with your new dealer. :thumb

It seems like with the countless numbers of oil changes done by a dealer, that they would know exactly how much oil would be required to get the correct level. Ten ounces isn't a lot, but still, they are the professionals. Or at least they are
supposed to be. Refusing to do the service reset unless you pay them, seems a bit petty on the dealership's end to me, if you have been a longtime customer as was stated.

I love these comments, none of you have ever worn a Service Manager's shoes.

It doesn't matter the type of machine, doxers, buggies, hoes, trucks, cars or two wheelers. The OEM tells the Service Manager what he can and can't do and ultimately, he has to answer to ownership about his budget.

I need to buy $15,000.00 worth of tooling and my budget shortfall for February was $30,000.00. I need the tooling, more importantly, I need my talent. Which one do I choose I can do without?

That's the buzzer that just went off because I need to make a choice.

Yes, there are some real pricks that make budget and put the bonus in their pants at the expense of customers and talent. No arguments there. If you got one of those, sorry. My guys will go out at 2:00 AM at -40C to see that you are taken care of. What do you think I have to do to make that happen?

If the OP paid for a service contract, they should reset the dealer extortion reminder indicator. Charging $50 is ridiculous and double dipping. Sometimes I wonder how some dealers stay in business. Good news travels fast, bad news faster. I would want my money back and go elsewhere, but then again I do the stuff myself.

If the OP paid for a service contract, they should reset the dealer extortion reminder indicator. Charging $50 is ridiculous and double dipping. Sometimes I wonder how some dealers stay in business. Good news travels fast, bad news faster. I would want my money back and go elsewhere, but then again I do the stuff myself.

+1

I wouldn't take it personal, chances are they do that to everyone. :)
A while back I had decided to have a front tire done by a dealer, thought what the heck, I'll have them do the oil and filter as well. I get the bike back and asked why the service reminder wasn't reset. Their response was "you didn't ask us to hook it up to the computer".
Apparently it's $70.00 to hook it up so....I told them that they should advise the customer of that when the service order is written- IMO.
I also realize the their equipment is costly and they need to see return on investment- I have a Snap-On Solus so I really do know.
End result- I did the rear tire, mail-order, myself ,along with the service.
I like to support those who are interested in doing a good job without me taking them to school.
They don't seem to care so why should I?
OM

What a load of crap - it takes a minute to "hook it up to the computer" (unless maybe the connector is buried behind some bodywork that needs to be disassembled first? Somebody please advise me here), it may take a couple of minutes to turn the computer on, boot it, and select the desired function, and a couple of keystrokes to reset anything. Then shut down and unplug it.
Call it ten minutes.
They want 50 dollars for that??? Multiply this by 6 (there are six 10-minute slices in one hour) and you now have the hourly rate.
Calling this robbery is a polite understatement.
Recoup their investment in equipment... so a few hundred thousand bikes at over $20K each - plus the Service that most receive periodically - doesn't help that much?

Last edited:
Back