• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RT Contender

100,000+ miler
I've known this was in the pipeline for a couple of years.

TrophyA.jpg

I thought about waiting until the Trophy was released before buying, but like my RT enough I'm glad I didn't wait. The only other brand that currently moves me is Triumph. Looks like a nice sports-tourer, hope it is a success for them. The Triumph triples are sweet engines, and the reliability is second to none.

Having had a Trophy 900 sport-tourer, I am a big fan of Triumph's bikes and have been waiting for the new Trophy. This one looks like everything you could want in a sport-touring bike. I'm curious about the price but it's got to be in the RT range. About the only negative I see is the thin dealer network, similar to BMW's.

There's a write-up about the Trophy at www.webbikeworld.com.

pete
2011 R1200RT

And up until now I was thinking Triumph's Sprint GT was the effort at the R1200RT. The Trophy will make you look twice.

Whats up with the trend the last few years, in all vehicles, of the sharp edges and wierd angles? Are the designers using a hatchet on a block of wood to create these things?

The shape is AMAZINGLY close to the first R12RT -- BMW should be flattered, per the saying.

At nearly 100 lbs. heavier, though, seems more like an ST1300 or Concours challenger.

Looked interesting, until I saw the weight (662 lbs. without panniers. My '06 RT is 570 lbs. without panniers. That's quite a difference. Though I suppose we really need to compare it to the next RT, presumably in model year 2014, after the GS is released as a 2013).

The Trophy/SE has my attention . I hope I get a chance to demo it when it hits the dealers. The only con I see is it's a bit heavier the RT .

The ride will tell the story

I have to wonder what kind of heat management that bike will have given the huge port on the side.:scratch

Then there is the floppy pannier system:

"The Triumph Dynamic Luggage System helps maintain chassis balance by decoupling the mass from the chassis allowing each pannier to move up to a 5 degree arc therefore optimizing stability and refinement."

:dunno

I think of the Sprint GT as the competition of the RS that BMW stopped making.

I'd make that same comparison myself.

The Trophy is more of a competitor to the R1200RT rather than the K1600GT as the displacement and horsepower of the Trophy are closer to the RT than the GT. (Not to mention the number of cylinders!) The lighter weight of the RT should go a long way to making up the horsepower disadvantage to the Trophy.

The F800/Tiger 800, 1200GS/Tiger Explorer and RT/Trophy are pretty clearly pitted against one another. When the magazine comparison tests come out I'd wager they're doing Trophy/1200RT comparisons rather than Trophy/1600GT.

BMW and Harley Davidson are obviously doing something right considering the number of Japanese, Brit and other clones of GSes, RTs and Milwaukee V-twins.

Getting hard to keep up with the latest wannabe's on the market.

Weight wise the Trophy falls right in line with the Japanese sport tourers that the RT competes with

All nice bikes that have their following

Although it looks nice, I'm not big on the extra weight either. I wonder how much weight the water, radiator, hoses, water jackets and fan will add to the new wethead GS, which will not long thereafter be the new wethead RT?

You can bet BMW is not looking at it is just another pretender. I suspect they are taking a very close and serious look. Having had two failures on my RT, I hope they are looking at how the final drive was designed.

G

Back