• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS vs. GSA? Why did you chose one over the other?

beemermyke

Not wanting to hijack Jim Rogers' recent thread about his 2010 GSA (cograts, Jim), I too am intrigued by the GS and am in the research/dream phase of the impending buy. I was fortunate enough to test ride both 2010 GS and GSA models at Touring Sport in Greenville, SC with a few friends last fall (friend number three was on a F800GS). For those of you that have been in the area of that dealership, a test ride is pretty much a jaunt through the city, followed by a brief opportunity to let the bike "breathe" on some back roads near a local state park. Besides the obivous seat height difference between the two bikes, I really couldn't get a complete comparison on the two because of the roads and the relatively short ride. I did notice the DOHC motor seemed smoother than the boxer motor on my R1150RS, and the standard GS was more flickable when counter-steering the bikes. Power seemed pretty much the same, although I'm assuming that they have different transmission gear ratios. I'm 5'11 with good upper body strength, so the GSA isn't an issue with the height or the added weight. For those of you that have the GS and the GSA, what made you decide one over the other? Being that a GS is a two-wheeled SUV, truth-be-told I probably won't be taking it off road very much, other than some unexplored dirt roads up in TN and NC. The price point is attractive on the GS, as is what I perceived as better handling characteritics. The GSA, on the other hand, has that extra "cool factor" to it in the looks department, plus the massive fuel tank would be great for long trips and for the 250 miles I commute to work every week. Any and all inputs greatly appreciated!

gs vs gsa

(I have a 06 gs not a gsa) While I wanted the large fuel tank. I don't think it was worth the added $. I have gone 240 miles before the low light came on, although 180 or so is the norm. I don't regret my gs decision at all.
max

As I am primarily a road rider, I went with the standard GS because it was lower, lighter and cheaper.

Gs/gsa

I was in the same boat as you, I really wanted the large tank. But I found a 08 with 900 miles on it, with the right price on it. So, that made up my mind for me. I was able to set it with the farkels I wanted. Afterwards I like the GS over the GSA because of the non-painted wheels, front forks and the silver painted frame instead of the painted black that the GSA has. But that is a personal thing! I will say that if they still made the R1---RS model , I would have another one! The only thing I needed to do is up the fuel capacity on the GS, so I built a fuel cell to mount in where the rear seat mounts. It works out great. I have run as far as 400 miles before the warning light comes on now. So there is no trouble keeping up with my friends with GSAs.

Attachments

• 100_2889.jpg
    100_2889.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 573
why ...

I chose the GSA because I wanted the extra "cool" factor in the looks department. I also wanted the extra fuel for trips where fuel is more scarce, I liked the engine guards, fog lights, GSA panniers and I wanted black rims. By the time I added the engine guards, GSA bag mounts and lights to a GS I was most of the way to the extra cost of the GSA and, for me, the GS still wouldn't have had the emotional tug of the GSA. Life is short and I wanted to enjoy staring at my bike in the garage when I'm not able to ride (like now when there is 2 feet of snow on the ground) and the GSA gives me that joy. Easy choice. :clap

I chose the GSA because I wanted the extra "cool" factor in the looks department. I also wanted the extra fuel for trips where fuel is more scarce, I liked the engine guards, fog lights, GSA panniers and I wanted black rims. By the time I added the engine guards, GSA bag mounts and lights to a GS I was most of the way to the extra cost of the GSA and, for me, the GS still wouldn't have had the emotional tug of the GSA. Life is short and I wanted to enjoy staring at my bike in the garage when I'm not able to ride (like now when there is 2 feet of snow on the ground) and the GSA gives me that joy. Easy choice. :clap

If I had a GSA, I might take it out in the snow.

I have had both and I am now happiy aboard the GSA. Frankly I was intimidated by the sheer size of the GSA for a long time. However last summer I took a test ride on the GSA while my bike was at the dealer for a small repair. I rode the GSA and I was hooked! I love both the bikes though and I guess mainly it comes down to personal preference and what kind of riding you will be doing. All things being equal though I prefer the GSA with the big tank as mine is used mostly for adventure touring. NFS roads is about the farthest off road mine will get...on purpose anyway! :D But you can't go wrong with either one!

Frankly I was intimidated by the sheer size of the GSA for a long time. However last summer I took a test ride on the GSA while my bike was at the dealer for a small repair. I rode the GSA and I was hooked!

Ah ha! Another victim of the test ride.

Checkbook. For a test ride don't leave home without it. :)

My GSA Decision

Beemermyke, hijack away, especially if it stimulates conversation. I wish I could say I did my homework, comparison rides, looked at specs, evaluated the total costs; all those things we are supposed to do when making a big purchase. Quite frankly, I just wanted the thing. It was very similar to when I found my 65 Pontiac Catalina 2-Door Sport Coupe (421 HO TriPower, 8-lug wheels, Turbo 400 Tranny, 342 Safety-Trac rear, blah blah blah). I did not know how rare the engine was, how desirable the tranny way, how good the brakes on 8-lugs are, none of that stuff. I just knew that was MY muscle car.
The GSA was the same way. I took Hilda into the local Ducati dealer to have a TBR exhaust put on her. I saw a mechanic working on this yellow GSA. Turns out it was his and he was the owner of the place. We started talking and he mentioned he was just waiting on HIS MultiStrada to show up and the GSA would be up for sale. Again, I knew this was MY GSA. His Multi came in, and I got the GSA. It was just one of those things.

OMG! I may have discovered a long-lost twin! :D

Sat on both. The GSA fit me better. I think the extra padding in the seat did the trick.

Looked at what I thought I might want to put on a GS and decided that a GS Adventure already had it all out of the box. And it fit me, out of the box. Other than add a mount for my Zumo, my GSA remains unfarkled except for the BMW adventure cases. Only thing I think I really want is a tank bag.

I knew mine would hit dirt roads so I knew I would have to put some guards on. Spoked wells were a definite. Plus I knew a big gas tank was going to be nice. Basically the GSA had extras on it that I would put on a GS. Except maybe the tank. I found an 09 for a good price and ended up with the GSA that I wanted.

*envious*

Being highly inseam-challenged, I just don't fit on either bike! I tried a GS with low seat/suspension and still could not "touch down". :mad

Then, I happened to sit on an F650 GS with the low seat/suspension and <insert heavenly sound here>. Let's see...how to convince the smarter half that the RT needs a stable-mate...

I looked at both and when I finished pricing out in getting a GS to what I wanted on the GSA the choice was easy.

So now i am farkling a GSA instead :lurk

DSC02547-1.jpg

I have had two GS's and now am on my second GSA. I picked it because of the larger gas tank although it didn't give me the range I was hoping for. The 1200 doesn't get as good of mileage as the 1100/1150's did. It also came with things that I would have had to purchase extra on the GS. crash bars, skid plate and the like. I ride my bike in remote places where gas stations are not always open, not a problem witht he GSA. The GSA has a lower first gear and came with spoked rims. I did buy the BMW adventurer bags which I wouldn't again. They are shorter than the Jesse bags I had on other GS's. Some of my gear doesn't fit so now have to strap it on the outside.

Really didn'y buy it because I thought it was "cool" I bought it because it served my utility needs. My bike is decked for distance travel and I rarely ride it in town.

05_29_10012s2.jpg

Sweet pics, guys! BruceH... tell me about the lighting on your bike (PIAAs?). I believe a GSA comes with fog lights as part of the package, right? Are the smaller PIAAs set up with the high beam? Also, when I look at the package options on both models of GS, I noted that it appears that the "switchable" on/off GPS is an option. Is that true? From what I've seen on showroom floors, I assumed that they were all switchable.

I chose the GS. Lower, less awkward in town and lighter. I have a friend that has the GSA, he loves it but because of his heigth (5' 9") he seems to fall down a lot.

Forget the cost and get the one YOU want.

Back