• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gas mileage survey

Is there any chance that some bikes are geared differently than others? The ranges of gas mileage are amazing!

Thanks everyone for commenting on this. The info is great.

Brad:usa

2002 RT. 40 mpg +/- 1 mpg usually. That's with CA gas, tyoically a mix between riding in heavy traffic, freeway, and mountain twisties.

Best ever was 50 MPG, worst about 37.5.

New to me R1100S

2004 model, rode city and highway 300+ mil.
46 to 52 mpg in Colorado, Denver area.

similar on my 75/7.

Is there any chance that some bikes are geared differently than others? The ranges of gas mileage are amazing!

Thanks everyone for commenting on this. The info is great.

Brad:usa

I believe they added a 6th gear when they rolled out the 1150RT, with the 1100s only having 5 gears. I have always assumed that 6th gear gave me better mileage when cruising at steady, high speeds (65+) but I have never tested it. Anyone know for sure?

"Special Edition", eh? Sounds like BMW Corporate speak for: "Gee, vee haf all deze left over pahrts frum dee 1150 GeeEsses, vat do you tink vee shud do vit dem?" "VAIT! Vee can pull out zum cool paint vee hafn't uzed in a vhile, call it a "Special Edition", und zell it to de Hamericans. Maybe effen charge dem a few more hundred $ for it!!" "yah, dat's a goot idea Hans!!"

I just switched from 92 octane gas to 87 octane gas and my bike now runs better. Occasional pinging I used to experience when accelerating on the highway in sixth gear and relatively low RPMs has gone away. Bike seems to run even smoother on the wimpier gas.

I'll be interested to see if there is any change in my mileage.

Last edited:
Actually it would be more likely to ping on the 89 not the 92. The lower the octane number the faster the gas burns, therefore creating potiential for pinging etc while under load with a faster burning fuel. You might get slightly better performance with the 89 but detonation will be a posibility.

Gas mileage is always a best guess estimate as everybodies driving & filling habits are slightly different. Wind, speed load, jacket rabbit starts etc all play a big role in your gas mileage.

High octane gas is for higher compression engines as they require slower burning fuel to prevent pinging & detonation in the cyclinders.

digital volto meter

2002 1150RT with Techlusion. About 40 all the time.

Hey Dean ... could you share what your pots are set at? I never get more than 35mpg and I don't really crank on it all that much.

Thanks in advance .... ~ Les

2004 R1150R

Full cases, trunk, windscreen, well stocked tank bag, your basic road warrior.

50-54 MPG when riding with my wife [ -5 to 5 over ]
42-45 MPG when commuting [ 15 to 30 over] in mild to warm weather, and about 40 MPG when its below freezing.

Nothing but a good state of tune, and a wee bit of Seafoam from time to time:thumb

John

"Special Edition", eh? Sounds like BMW Corporate speak for: "Gee, vee haf all deze left over pahrts frum dee 1150 GeeEsses, vat do you tink vee shud do vit dem?" "VAIT! Vee can pull out zum cool paint vee hafn't uzed in a vhile, call it a "Special Edition", und zell it to de Hamericans. Maybe effen charge dem a few more hundred $ for it!!" "yah, dat's a goot idea Hans!!"

:rofl but the price was the same as a regular '04 ADV. It has been thought that these SE models were cancelled orders for police bikes...:dunno In any case it is the last of the non canbus bikes and I like it's looks and ride...:hug

:rofl but the price was the same as a regular '04 ADV. It has been thought that these SE models were cancelled orders for police bikes...:dunno In any case it is the last of the non canbus bikes and I like it's looks and ride...:hug

me too !

What reall makes a difference is road speed and wind conditions. Plus the road surface can cause a few % difference.

I'd be willing to bet money EVERY BIKE would return different numbers with a different rider.

My 98' GS with a pope mobile Aeroflow, lights, Micatech cases gets 40 mpg or so in average riding, 35 mpg into a strong headwind at 80 mph, or even loaded up with the wife just dawdling down country roads it'll get close to 48 mpg! She hates it when I speed....:dunno :whistle

2002 RT. 40 mpg +/- 1 mpg usually. That's with CA gas, tyoically a mix between riding in heavy traffic, freeway, and mountain twisties.

Best ever was 50 MPG, worst about 37.5.

Dang. I get 37.5 most of the time. I did see 44mpg on ride home from Phoenix at 70mph steady freeway. Nothing close to that. My riding is stop and go 20 mile commute. An occasional run on the freeway, about 20 miles.

Speaking of gas mileage...
How do the bars on the fuel gauge correlate with the amount of fuel left?
At how many bars does one start thinking about refueling? 1996 R1100rt.
How do you know when you are on reserve? ( 270km showing 2 bars)
Thanks

all bars means its full and no bars means its empty

my 1997 R1100RT gets 40 MPG with 65 mph as a regular speed on the open road
now, my question is ( dont throw stones ! ) what brand of gas are you using and what octane? a BMW dealer in N Carolina told me to run mid-grade normally and run super when loaded down and/or in the mountains comments?

update 2011 : had surging whe, purchased ( 2010 ) since then : changed to Bosch plugs, K&N filter, Amsoil in all fluids ( with 25% Marvel Mystery Oil in engine oil ), balanced carbs, adjusted valves, use Shell high test whenever I can, a shot of MMM oil in gas tank lost surging and gas milage has crept up to 42-44 mpg comments ?

Back