• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replace helmet every 2-4 years?!?

The foam helmet liner starts to degrade immediately after manufacture. I wear Shoei helmets and replace them approximately every five years (or sooner if dropped). Don't forget to check the date sticker inside the helmet when purchasing a new helmet. When shopping for a new helmet a couple of months ago...the parts & accessories manager offered me a 50% discount on a "new" Shoei helmet. I checked the date sticker and found that the helmet was four years old...I passed on the offer and bought a helmet with a 2009 date of manufacture.

I replace them about every four or five years simply because they are worn out. Just replaced my Nolen after four with the new Nolen with the internal sun shade and it fits better, smells better, looks better and is all around better so for me its about wearing them out. the old Nolen had about 80,000 miles of weather, dirt, rain and the occasional drop so yes replace it you can't replace your brain if it gets scrambled

Brett Endress
Altoona Pa

Creative ideas on what to do with old helmets needed

We really do need an alternative to 'throwing helmets in the trash" I currently have 4 taking up space in my garage. One suggestion is to donate them for EMS training. My local fire cheif never returned my call. So still need to know what to do with these old helmets

Ballistics testing. BTW, the Shoei rep told me that once they quit making a replacement face shield for a helmet, that is a good indication that the helmet is outdated and should be replaced.

Ballistics testing. BTW, the Shoei rep told me that once they quit making a replacement face shield for a helmet, that is a good indication that the helmet is outdated and should be replaced.

not so sure on that. friend of mine bought a new helmet recently. 6 months later he could not get a replacement shield. worn out helmet? i think not.
I have some AGVs that are well over 5 yo (closer to 8 i believe), but they only get worn occassionally, and are stored in a climate controlled environment (my closet). And i can still get shields from AGV, as they don't change the shield design very frequently- they can be swapped between various model helmets, so even helmets out of production use same shield as new models just released. cuts down costs for tehm, thus costs to us.

What exactly do you guys mean by replacing helmet when "dropped"?
Like a serious drop that cracks the helmet (one hell of a drop) or scuffed plastic?

How about this one for kicks and giggles. My four year old Nolen was peeling paint and needed a new face shield. I bought a new one because I liked the new internal sun visor. My brother just getting back into riding wanted to buy my old one so I sold it to him for $50.00 I paid $385.00 for my new one. He then called Nolen and complained about the peeling paint and poor design of the external half sun shade and they sent him a new one just like the one I paid $385.00 for for free. Wish I would have thought about that! So he got a new Nolen for $50.00

Brett Endress
Altoona Pa

What exactly do you guys mean by replacing helmet when "dropped"?
Like a serious drop that cracks the helmet (one hell of a drop) or scuffed plastic?

a hit to solid ground from most anything that is seat height or beyond. if it hits a plastic part (vent, shield, etc) as the initial contact point you are probably just fine. if the body of it takes a hard hit, there could be notable internal damage that compromises its functioning the next time it takes a hit, even if you can't see much for external damage.
would you want to risk that "the next time" is when you are wearing it?

Chances of it hitting in the so-called compromised area from a minor drop are pretty slim. Helmets are expensive. Yeah they probably only will deliver 80% of the shock absorbing capability after five years. The helmet manufacturer's legal and sales department will want to you replace them as often as possible.

Put your money where it will do the most good. For what a helmet costs you could instead add to your leathers or other safety gear etc & get more (actually less) bang for your buck.

But the earth worshipers say otherwise.

Manfred, for the umpteenth time please can the name-calling. Some of us live on planet earth...the round one. Where evolution actually occurred, and science is real.

Manfred, for the umpteenth time please can the name-calling. Some of us live on planet earth...the round one. Where evolution actually occurred, and science is real.

(hijack)

But.... helmets are round, they have evolved and were created and science was used! Whoooaa that is deep!

Now, back to the original topic:lurk

Last edited:

He can't help himself. From what I can tell here, he sees every conversation as some kind of test of his faith.

Whatever gets you through the night, I guess.

I...................! Changing lenses means having to stop, etc.

Better solution, get the amber shields, After trying one last year, I will never use anything else, I love them.

They provide great bright sun protection and more important give great vision when going in and out of deep shade from bright sun, like roads with heavy foliage, and especially those dark European tunnels. Plus they work excellent at dawn and dusk, I have not ridden in the dark, so I can't vouch for that.

Give one a try, truly one shield does it all for me.

Well, now that I've read the Motorcyclist article, it is clear that the ON could just request to reprint it. VERY comprehensive and informative article.

This is quite interesting:
In fact, the vast majority of crashed helmets examined in the Hurt Report showed that they had absorbed about the same impact you'd receive if you simply tipped over while standing, like a bowling pin, and hit your head on the pavement. Ninety-plus percent of the head impacts surveyed, in fact, were equal to or less than the force involved in a 7-foot drop. And 99 percent of the impacts were at or below the energy of a 10-foot drop.

One of the arguments made MOST often by the opponents of helmet laws is that they only protect the wearer in relatively lower speed accidents. Over 90% of the impacts were equivalent of a 7' drop? That's not very fast as far as I can tell.

The link to the article was posted earlier in the thread but it bares reposting:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

I smell a future ON article on the various testing methods and results, DOT, SNELL, Etc..... :lurk

I suspect that your sense of smell is malfunctioning. DOT does not test helmets, and never has. They establish standards of performance, which to the best of my knowledge, have not been updated in many many moons (a quarter century+?). Snell establishes performance standards, which are updated every 5 years, and then tests helmets (submitted by manufacturers) against those standards.
DOT system is done as a "gentleman's agreement"- "are you meeting our standards?" "yes, we are". "good, here's your sticker."

xp8103, Helmets not only help protect you from impact but just as importantly they protect your face and head from abrasion as your body slides/tumbles down the road. Studies have shown that 45% of injuries to the head are suffered by the chin and jaw. I still keep a 3/4 helmet with deep scratches in the back of it. I never thought my head touched the ground until I examined the helmet after my tumble down the tarmac at 45mph. I have come to favor a modular style helmet and recently purchased an HJC IS-MAX with a built in sun shade/screen. Very good ventilation and quite comfortable. Ride Safe :usa :usa

One of the arguments made MOST often by the opponents of helmet laws is that they only protect the wearer in relatively lower speed accidents. Over 90% of the impacts were equivalent of a 7' drop? That's not very fast as far as I can tell.

Don't confuse the speed at the time of the accident with the energy the helmet absorbed. I've seen high speed low sides where the riders head barely touches the tarmac. On the other hand there are cases where someone has fallen off a parked bike, landed on their head and suffered major trauma or death.

I guess my conclusions from reading the article are these:

1. Wear a helmet.
2. Money doesn't buy you love (or protection), only comfort and features.
3. In the vast majority of the accidents you're likely to have, even a Snell rated helmet will (more or less) adequately protect you without actually inflicting damage.
4. In those instances where a "hard" helmet will reach the level where it will inflict damage via increased G-forces transmitted to the head, there will likely be other serious injuries that will likely negate anything that happens in the brain bucket.

Back