• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

We do own this site....right?

Home

Hey Everybody, I could not care less about politics right now. I finally made it home to Gods country here in AR. My wife Sandy and 5 awesome kids met me in Ft. Smith yesterday at 12:40 with lots of hugs and kisses. It only took 40 hours to get home. Right now I am up early cooking some breakfast and reading emails. Hope this little note finds everybody doing great. WOW it sure is green here. I will be heading to Bentonville BMW on Sat. to pick up the RT with new brakes and tires and then spend all day just breathing fresh air.

Kelly
Paris, AR (for 14 days)

I thought that we were discussing Latin, which would have been Roman.

A person of Latino heritage might dance to Flamenco music, however I have no idea what flamingo birds dance to. Obviously they have their own music which is attractive to politicians (perhaps this is what the Governor was dancing to in "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas"??????

Regards, Rod.

How right you are! To paraphrase a former vice-presidential candidate, "I know Flamingos. I have danced with Flamingos. And politicians are no Flamingos."

Kelly, welcome home.

Tom

Hey Everybody, I could not care less about politics right now. I finally made it home to Gods country here in AR. My wife Sandy and 5 awesome kids met me in Ft. Smith yesterday at 12:40 with lots of hugs and kisses. It only took 40 hours to get home. Right now I am up early cooking some breakfast and reading emails. Hope this little note finds everybody doing great. WOW it sure is green here. I will be heading to Bentonville BMW on Sat. to pick up the RT with new brakes and tires and then spend all day just breathing fresh air.

Kelly
Paris, AR (for 14 days)

Welcome home and thank you! :usa

Welcome home Kelly! Enjoy your R&R, it will go too fast.

But your remaining tour time will go fast as well, then you'll really be home!

Ride safe.

:usa

Kelly
Paris, AR (for 14 days)

Welcome home Kelly. We are happy to hear of your safe return.

Thanks for your service. You deserve more than 14 days at home, that is for sure.

I have no idea what flamingo birds dance to.

Michael Mann ... theme from "Miami Vice".

Miami-Vice-Season-1.jpg

Welcome home

Thanks and welcome home partner. Have a good time, you've earned it.

Well I have 600 more more under my belt here in AR. I rode all over north west AR and let me tell you it was incredible!!! I was sorry to hear that a motorcycle rider was killed in Clarksville this morning about 30 minutes before I rode through the exact same road. He was passing a big truck and hit an oncoming car head on. 41 years old very sad. On a lighter note, My wife prefers the Valkrie, over the RT that is no good because I got a very good offer for my Valk, guess I will just have to keep both. The weather for riding has been great. My oldest daughter on the other hand loves the RT, I was thinking about taking her to the rally next year, she is 14 and rides her dirt bike all over the place. What is the rally like for kids? I have been offline for a few days enjoying my family and being home. Hope everybody out there in BMWMOA land is doing great. "GO PALIN/MCCAIN" lol.

Kelly

Josh,
You know, the fact that she LIVES in the state closest in proximity to Russia gives her more foreign policy experience than Obama has... :D

Very much on topic, I feel we do own the site (as in, club dues pays for the site), but it is under the control of the "all must be politically correct" lowest common denominator.

Sure, I agree there are things that don't belong on this forum (nudity, even some "near nudity", personal threats, excessively obscene language), but I also believe there should be a limit on how much policing we do. I read other forums - I see things that I don't like or don't agree with all the time, but that doesn't mean I complain to the sites moderators about it. I think a lot of us are that way - adult enough to not threaten and adult enough to ignore things we don't like while respecting others rights to say them. The problem we have here is we work so hard to make everyone happy that the site is being controlled by the PC police and/or the "their view doesn't agree with mine so I'll complain" members.

When it comes to moderating, sometimes less IS more... but the problem remains of what to do with the people who can't follow the social norms of our forum and respect others rights to post dissenting opinions.

Is this a good reason to have a separate area to partition off discussions that might cause disagreements? That way people know to avoid the area and the people who would complain solely to stifle others opinions can be sent on their way? Would this simplify the life of a moderator in the long run?

Discuss.

Very much on topic, I feel we do own the site (as in, club dues pays for the site), but it is under the control of the "all must be politically correct" lowest common denominator.

Sure, I agree there are things that don't belong on this forum (nudity, even some "near nudity", personal threats, excessively obscene language), but I also believe there should be a limit on how much policing we do. I read other forums - I see things that I don't like or don't agree with all the time, but that doesn't mean I complain to the sites moderators about it. I think a lot of us are that way - adult enough to not threaten and adult enough to ignore things we don't like while respecting others rights to say them. The problem we have here is we work so hard to make everyone happy that the site is being controlled by the PC police and/or the "their view doesn't agree with mine so I'll complain" members.

When it comes to moderating, sometimes less IS more... but the problem remains of what to do with the people who can't follow the social norms of our forum and respect others rights to post dissenting opinions.

Is this a good reason to have a separate area to partition off discussions that might cause disagreements? That way people know to avoid the area and the people who would complain solely to stifle others opinions can be sent on their way? Would this simplify the life of a moderator in the long run?

Discuss.

Josh,
Let's back up to a higher level view - and questions. With all the other forums available on the Internet, why should the BMW MOA have one? What's the value to you of *this* forum in particular? Would one of the top reasons be to add value to a membership? If you were paying for something, would you have higher expectations than if you got it for free? Would the expectations of other "paying customers" have greater weight as well?

These are serious questions. Without a clear purpose and mission for this forum, discussions about it are doomed to disagree, and comparisons to other forums won't be much more useful than comparing touring bikes to dual-sports for road-racing purposes. :fight

Josh,
Let's back up to a higher level view - and questions. With all the other forums available on the Internet, why should the BMW MOA have one? What's the value to you of *this* forum in particular? Would one of the top reasons be to add value to a membership? If you were paying for something, would you have higher expectations than if you got it for free? Would the expectations of other "paying customers" have greater weight as well?

These are serious questions. Without a clear purpose and mission for this forum, discussions about it are doomed to disagree, and comparisons to other forums won't be much more useful than comparing touring bikes to dual-sports for road-racing purposes. :fight

When it comes to a "free" site, I definitely see no room for complaints. If you don't like what's being offered, you know where the proverbial door is. The same could be said about the club ("stop paying the club and nice doing business with you"), although I really don't agree with that mindset. A club that acts that way is soon to be extinct.

I do believe I (and others) have a somewhat higher expectation of this forum - we pay for it via our dues. While the club should have a level of responsibility to it's members to offer something that pleases the majority, you can't and won't please everyone. In this case, look at it from the opposite perspective for a moment to get your answer about it being a "value add". Instead of "does it add value", show me how it would decrease value and make the forum a worse place.

Imagine a separate area for the less than "PC" discussions. It's contained in a different area so members who don't want to see it are not burdened by it. It keeps the occasional "flare up" from happening in the general forum which keeps the other areas "safer" or maybe "cleaner". Unless you venture into the tavern (with an obvious warning on the door), you never have to deal with it. It removes nothing from the forum experience, while it actually adds to the experience for the members who would wish to partake in that type of entertainment.

Why here and not on "another forum"? I don't like the "take it to another forum". Sure there are others (and good ones) but it's not here. "Elsewhere" you get a different crowd, I want to have some straight talk with the MOA members that I've gotten to know. Some friendly debates about worldly topics - nothing more.

I think the "tavern" is a well thought out name. Right now we're trying to enforce prohibition and we're seeing it not work - and I think the threads "walking the line" are doing no service to either viewpoint (pro or con). It's also putting an extra burden on the forum law enforcement. :nra

Back