• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

THE 2021 Montana MOA Re-Schedule (previous 2020 Great Falls Thread)

All the east side entries to Glacier NP will be closed for the 2020 season.

Yellowstone is very busy, I am told. We just spent the weekend riding in Beartooth Pass and Big Horn Mountains area. Red Lodge looked like any other summer weekend and a large number of motorcycles were out and about.

akbeemer was at my Red Lodge Rendezvous II. I scheduled this event two years ago and had right at 80 signed up with rooms booked. We lost about 50% of our attendees.

My folks did a pretty good job of maintaining distancing, I think only a few of us wore masks. I cut out the dinner which would have packed everyone close together even though outside.

The restaurants in Red Lodge were busy and didn't seem to have reduced their capacity much. We booked the Chateau Rouge and had it almost filled, they claim to sterilize rooms between customers and have eliminated daily maid service.

The construction over the Beartooth was not causing onerous delays, 10 minutes was the maximum wait I heard of. There is also construction on the Chief Joseph, toward the Cody end, no pilot car but pretty crappy mud and gravel to traverse for 1/4 mile where they are repairing a road slide.

Completing the task of getting 25 or more together had to be tough with all the coordination that must have been necessary.

You may have had the FIRST successful gathering under these difficult conditions of tour riding... since about March!

Recently, myself and another member arrived into a N.C. Motorcycle Campground midweek (June) unannounced while traveling for a few days.
The proprietors stated we were the first to ride in, this year... that had not called with a bunch of questions and to make weekend reservations.

We were the only people there for two nights, excellent riding and weather.
But finding the right situation for breaks and food in some states/areas was troublesome.

Annie and I are heading to Idaho for three days starting tomorrow. Plan to make a 1,000 mile loop and will be camping. If anyone comes too close to our camp site we will snarl viciously. Our problem now is that Hwy 95 is closed due to a very large rock slide. I doubt it will be cleared by Wednesday so we can get back north to ride Hwy 12 home (Lolo Pass Road), so we will have to call an audible.

Annie and I are heading to Idaho for three days starting tomorrow. Plan to make a 1,000 mile loop and will be camping. If anyone comes too close to our camp site we will snarl viciously. Our problem now is that Hwy 95 is closed due to a very large rock slide. I doubt it will be cleared by Wednesday so we can get back north to ride Hwy 12 home (Lolo Pass Road), so we will have to call an audible.

What sort of route do you have planed now?

This is the plan that assumes Hwy 95 opens. Not sure what we do if it remains closed. (Suddenly I cannot post pictures)

Silver City
Wisdom, MT
Salmon
Challis
Stanley
Sun Valley
McCall
Kooskia
Lolo, MT
Silver City, MT

The only route around I can see is I-84 to Island City, to Enterprise and then Clarkston to connect to Hwy 12. Too far for our trip, so will probably head south from Sun City, past Craters of the Moon then back to Salmon and home.

Debbie and I head to Colorado later this week. It's been strange planning the trip. I've looked up local info to try and avoid areas with a high infection counts. Sometimes my route is determined by nice roads and sometimes it's determined by going around counties with a high counts. Mostly two lanes, which is not unusual, to avoid gas stops on the interstate. Interstate 80 has people from all over the US.
We'll take hwy 34 then a county road in eastern Nebraska, then hwy 2 in the Sand Hills. I've been wanting to take the Sand Hills route again so that a good thing.
My route in Wyoming is a little strange to get around the Denver and Ft Collins area but a couple of the roads I have not been on and it leads to Pouder River Canyon road. Pouder River is another road I've been wanting to see again.
My tool bag now has wipes for the motels, hand sanitizers and masks.
Have not mentioned much about the trip because I thought some might say we're being irresponsible for leaving our county.

On the camping or motel thing I'm not sure what's the safest. Camping you are around fewer people but campground bathrooms are not the cleanest.

I was not there at that time, but I followed the weather during rally week, and it was very cold, and there was some rain. Not inviting to camp at all. Some years are like that, so better luck next year!

HA! How unusual to hear weather during Rally time as very "cold" !!

HA! How unusual to hear weather during Rally time as very "cold" !!

When the Great Falls site was announced where were some side conversations among people who live there, close to there, or who know the area that there would be the chance for cold weather in the end of June. Snow would not be that much out of the question. It's all about what kind of spring and early summer was happening in a given year. Hopefully, next year will be a bit warmer. :D

Debbie and I head to Colorado later this week. It's been strange planning the trip. I've looked up local info to try and avoid areas with a high infection counts. Sometimes my route is determined by nice roads and sometimes it's determined by going around counties with a high counts. Mostly two lanes, which is not unusual, to avoid gas stops on the interstate. Interstate 80 has people from all over the US.
We'll take hwy 34 then a county road in eastern Nebraska, then hwy 2 in the Sand Hills. I've been wanting to take the Sand Hills route again so that a good thing.
My route in Wyoming is a little strange to get around the Denver and Ft Collins area but a couple of the roads I have not been on and it leads to Pouder River Canyon road. Pouder River is another road I've been wanting to see again.
My tool bag now has wipes for the motels, hand sanitizers and masks.
Have not mentioned much about the trip because I thought some might say we're being irresponsible for leaving our county.

On the camping or motel thing I'm not sure what's the safest. Camping you are around fewer people but campground bathrooms are not the cleanest.

I know I don't have to say this, and it seems like you're taking the proper precautions, but.....
Please be VERY careful. Use a paper towel to hold the gas pump. Use the edge of your credit card to punch in any required codes or numbers. Sanitize your hands immediately after replacing the gas pump handle. Try to avoid using cash. Hotels here are sanitizing every room after use AND leaving the room vacant for 24-48 hours after use. Hotels are at half capacity by design. Same with restaurants. Wear a mask whenever you're in an area where you may encounter another person. If needed, don't be afraid to politely ask someone to give you some space (although I doubt anyone would give YOU grief over that :laugh). If the server in any restaurant you visit isn't wearing a mask - leave. And there should be plexiglass partitions wherever you see someone behind a counter.

Not your fault but its a bit of a sh*t show in the US right now with people ignoring the basic stuff that will help overcome this virus. I hope you have a great trip and the only memories you have are good ones!

I know I don't have to say this, and it seems like you're taking the proper precautions, but.....
Please be VERY careful. Use a paper towel to hold the gas pump. Use the edge of your credit card to punch in any required codes or numbers. Sanitize your hands immediately after replacing the gas pump handle. Try to avoid using cash. Hotels here are sanitizing every room after use AND leaving the room vacant for 24-48 hours after use. Hotels are at half capacity by design. Same with restaurants. Wear a mask whenever you're in an area where you may encounter another person. If needed, don't be afraid to politely ask someone to give you some space (although I doubt anyone would give YOU grief over that :laugh). If the server in any restaurant you visit isn't wearing a mask - leave. And there should be plexiglass partitions wherever you see someone behind a counter.

Not your fault but its a bit of a sh*t show in the US right now with people ignoring the basic stuff that will help overcome this virus. I hope you have a great trip and the only memories you have are good ones!

:thumb:thumb Good recommendations.

On your comment about people ignoring recommendations, it's bad in our area with young people.

The other week when I went to Des Moines for tires the gas station I stopped at had hand sanitizer attached to the gas pump. Sure would be nice if all stations did this but where we're going I'll be surprised if we see this.
We'll have wipes and sanitizer in the tank bags and tail bags so they're handy.

:thumb:thumb Good recommendations.

On your comment about people ignoring recommendations, it's bad in our area with young people.

The other week when I went to Des Moines for tires the gas station I stopped at had hand sanitizer attached to the gas pump. Sure would be nice if all stations did this but where we're going I'll be surprised if we see this.
We'll have wipes and sanitizer in the tank bags and tail bags so they're handy.

We are using inexpensive disposable vinyl or latex gloves for trips out. They are especially hand at gas stops as I can manage the pump, hose, and credit card pad no problem and then just pull off the gloves inside out when done and throw them into the trash.

We are using inexpensive disposable vinyl or latex gloves for trips out. They are especially hand at gas stops as I can manage the pump, hose, and credit card pad no problem and then just pull off the gloves inside out when done and throw them into the trash.

Do you then sanitize your credit card? Also, ensure you pull the gloves off from the inside out. That way you avoid touching the contaminated outside of the glove. And then sanitize your hands.

I should also mention that restaurants here are doing contact tracing.

Do you then sanitize your credit card? Also, ensure you pull the gloves off from the inside out. That way you avoid touching the contaminated outside of the glove. And then sanitize your hands.

I should also mention that restaurants here are doing contact tracing.

Yes, I usually do with a disinfecting wipe. But all the information I'm seeing now indicates that the primary spread of the coronavirus is by aerosol droplets - and very little from surfaces. There is a news story I read today (attached) that says essentially many people researching the virus spread are frustrated with the WHO because they are sticking to their position emphasizing surfaces as a major medium for spreading the disease. Read it and draw your own conclusions. Just as a note when you read this article, there is mention of virus-laden droplets "dropping to the floor" so all along we have left our shoes and pants in the garage after spending time in heavily trafficked areas like grocery stores.

Attachments

• Latest news on how Coronavirus spreads Idaho Statesman 7-6-2020.pdf
    219.4 KB · Views: 1
But all the information I'm seeing now indicates that the primary spread of the coronavirus is by aerosol droplets - and very little from surfaces. .

That's what I've read and seen, but just in case I'm careful about what I touch.

That's what I've read and seen, but just in case I'm careful about what I touch.
A bit off topic for this thread-
What’s the thought on picking up books at the library? They always looked well “handled” to me. The local library is claiming their books have been “cleaned” by leaving them in a pile for a couple of days :fart
OM

A bit off topic for this thread-
What’s the thought on picking up books at the library? They always looked well “handled” to me. The local library is claiming their books have been “cleaned” by leaving them in a pile for a couple of days :fart
OM

I've been seeing conflicting info on how long the virus lasts on different surfaces.
My neighbor has been going to meetings on how to handle schools reopening.
Our local school district was told the virus lasts two days on cardboard, but it lasts five days on paper.

My assessment is that "we" have learned much about this virus since way back in December and January, but we still don't know as much as we need, and what we think we know is subject to revision, even reversal, and certainly a large degree of interpretation over time. What is relatively safe today will be a concern tomorrow, vice versa, etc. So, I figure a shotgun approach is best - do is all - but don't stress over one vector or the other. It has always seemed to me that the primary transmission vector was by air, like with most viruses, so expose yourself to high volumes of fast moving non-recirculated air away from others. I figure about 95 or 100 is a good speed on an open road. :D

I've been seeing conflicting info on how long the virus lasts on different surfaces.
My neighbor has been going to meetings on how to handle schools reopening.
Our local school district was told the virus lasts two days on cardboard, but it lasts five days on paper.

Most of the recent studies are saying the virus is gone after three days. Like https://www.imls.gov/news/research-shows-virus-undetectable-five-highly-circulated-library-materials-after-three-days

I've not been in a library in the past five years, though I read a couple hundred books a year. Ebooks don't spread viruses, and my local library provides great access for free.

Back