• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

THE 2021 Montana MOA Re-Schedule (previous 2020 Great Falls Thread)

Fargo, North Dakota, to reopen city buildings on Monday

From CNN's Chuck Johnston

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news...02-20-intl/h_ea82abaa71540d315db2165fc5641475

I don't like to have brick-and-morter stores save my location information on their web sites, so they always default to some random location, and I correct when I want to know if something is in stock in my local store. For the last two or three weeks when I check BestBuy they are defaulting to Fargo. Yes, Fargo, ND. Somehow this has to be your fault - I'm just sure! :brow

I don't like to have brick-and-morter stores save my location information on their web sites, so they always default to some random location, and I correct when I want to know if something is in stock in my local store. For the last two or three weeks when I check BestBuy they are defaulting to Fargo. Yes, Fargo, ND. Somehow this has to be your fault - I'm just sure! :brow

Is the Farm Report broadcast in stereo or just mono?

I know you've been thinking of this also...

So here's a couple question's for you folks that participate in a few Club Rally's annually.
What are your plans now that we are forgoing the 2020 Montana National, and with so many events either cancelled or postponed?
When do you expect to attend your first rally/event this year, since this pandemic has changed the schedule so much?

I've noticed that during this first couple days of May, that some events through mid July are being called off.
Will mid August (fully three months from now!) be OK for your travel's... rally's or otherwise?
Are you waiting all the way until Labor Day and the Finger Lakes Rally, and then... the multitude of compressed opportunities that September & October offer?

I realize that Border opening dates, and other yet undecided factors are contributing to the unknown... but what do you look forward to, if able?

So here's a couple question's for you folks that participate in a few Club Rally's annually.
What are your plans now that we are forgoing the 2020 Montana National, and with so many events either cancelled or postponed?
When do you expect to attend your first rally/event this year, since this pandemic has changed the schedule so much?

I've noticed that during this first couple days of May, that some events through mid July are being called off.
Will mid August (fully three months from now!) be OK for your travel's... rally's or otherwise?
Are you waiting all the way until Labor Day and the Finger Lakes Rally, and then... the multitude of compressed opportunities that September & October offer?

I realize that Border opening dates, and other yet undecided factors are contributing to the unknown... but what do you look forward to, if able?

It's hard to have anything to look forward to with so much cancelled. I had planned to fly to MT, rent a bike and visit the rally for a bit and catch up with my family in Glacier NP. I have not cancelled the bike rental and we got fire sale tickets from United. I'm looking forward to that, but being out in giant MT without the general camaraderie of the MOA (even though I won't have a BMW to ride) might have me a little spooked. Maybe more spooked in dealing with the airport and what fun things I can catch there.

I'm thinking of planning a big ride around VA/NC on my own and hitting the Dragon and such. So there, the questions is when? Hotel, camp? All that stuff I'm not sure of.

Unfortunately, I think that 2020 will a wash for me for any bike (and other) events. Nothing has changed about the danger of the coronavirus - it is still out there just as contagious as before, and we still don't have a vaccine or proven treatment. Flattening the curve was always and only about medical demand management. Social distancing and other risk management behaviors (masks, hand washing, gloves, etc.) will slow the spread hopefully enough to buy some time to develop and distribute a vaccine and treatments.

We all will hopefully learn how to have some semblance of normalcy for most businesses, but until well over half of the population have been vaccinated, any mass gatherings where you can't social distance will be either prohibited, or just to dangerous for me. I will do a lot of day rides, and likely some short camping trips either solo or with one or two selected friends. Hotels and restaurants along well traveled highways don't appeal to me, yet.

Unfortunately, I think that 2020 will a wash for me for any bike (and other) events. Nothing has changed about the danger of the coronavirus - it is still out there just as contagious as before, and we still don't have a vaccine or proven treatment. Flattening the curve was always and only about medical demand management. Social distancing and other risk management behaviors (masks, hand washing, gloves, etc.) will slow the spread hopefully enough to buy some time to develop and distribute a vaccine and treatments.

We all will hopefully learn how to have some semblance of normalcy for most businesses, but until well over half of the population have been vaccinated, any mass gatherings where you can't social distance will be either prohibited, or just to dangerous for me. I will do a lot of day rides, and likely some short camping trips either solo or with one or two selected friends. Hotels and restaurants along well traveled highways don't appeal to me, yet.
A wise and prudent position.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

The only other MC Event that I had planned was Americade in Lake George NY. As of "now" it has been moved back to July 20-25 and if it is a go I will be making the trip. If it is cancelled the Friends who are attending with me will probably opt to meet up and ride as an alternate location. But honestly I am not confident the new date will hold .... for all the reasons stated above. Then need to get vendors on board, get attendees (most of whom are >55 years old (much like the MOA :D) to show up, etc.

Then will probably do a 7-10 day trip in late September.

I don't see much riding for this summer. Borders to neighbouring states and provinces are closed to me and it appears they will remain so for the foreseeable future. With campgrounds, motels and restaurants closed, I will be limited as to how far I can ride from home. Last week I took the insurance off one bike and am seriously considering doing the same to the other one. To date I have yet to suit up for a ride. With luck, maybe a few rides with overnight camping it Ontario.

Like Greg, this year's riding season appears as if it is going to be a wash for me. :banghead

Usually getting ready to head south for the 49'er rally about now, my first multi day ride of the season, every season. Followed by Chief Joseph, the national in Billings, travel to MI for a family reunion, Stanley Stomp and Beartooth rallies. All off for this riding season. Still planning on some day rides and possibly some overnight camps.

Some good day rides here, while still socially isolating, incude a ride around Hell's Canyon (to the west), a ride on back roads north to north ID and back, and a trip east up the Lochsa, through the Bitterroot, through the Stanley basin and back. We'll probably miss rallying with friends this summer the most, some for forty years. Just need to remain selfless and give the really smart people time to figure this out. Hopefully we'll be able to make up for it next suummer.

Glenlivet and I would have crossed Kansas by now - having played in the Ozarks and Oachitas for a week - and would have reached Taos NM by noon. It's a bitter pill as I'd been planning my retirement ride for years, but the MOA's decision to push Great Falls back one year means the dream is only delayed, not cancelled. It gives us more time to research places to see along our way.

Pete

Glenlivet and I would have crossed Kansas by now - having played in the Ozarks and Oachitas for a week - and would have reached Taos NM by noon. It's a bitter pill as I'd been planning my retirement ride for years, but the MOA's decision to push Great Falls back one year means the dream is only delayed, not cancelled. It gives us more time to research places to see along our way.

Pete

Great attitude! :thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb

Pete
Since I took quite a few vacation days early in the year, coupled with my wife's travel schedule for this coming June, I knew that riding to Great Falls wasn't going to happen this year.

However, I, too, now have a second chance, and I believe I'll be taking it.

I hope that the entertainment will be the same next year, because if you've never seen Samantha Fish in person, you don't know what you're missing.

Since I took quite a few vacation days early in the year, coupled with my wife's travel schedule for this coming June, I knew that riding to Great Falls wasn't going to happen this year.

However, I, too, now have a second chance, and I believe I'll be taking it.

I hope that the entertainment will be the same next year, because if you've never seen Samantha Fish in person, you don't know what you're missing.

Yes, the band line-up looked awesome.

FWIW...if the person that books the bands reads this and for some reason you need a replacement band next year, the Missoula, MT based progressive bluegrass band The Li'l Smokies put on an incredible show. They are great entertainers and all are phenomenal musicians.

Back