• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

THE 2021 Montana MOA Re-Schedule (previous 2020 Great Falls Thread)

There are now lots of locations suitable to house BMW MOA rallies, but in fact we may need to repeat sites like we did Missoula in '84 and '98. I didn't see people unhappy to go back after 14 years. And if a location is a tired old fairgrounds with inadequate facilities we ought not be there, whether that hurts the feelings of the fair board or not.

I admit some of my discontent with Bloomsburg was my own fault. I camped. But in the 37 rallies I have attended I have camped 34 times. In Bloomsburg we camped with the young riders attending Camp GEARS, which back then was part of what GEARS was.

Hamburg was my last Rally, so my impressions might be outdated, but how much vendor space do we need? To me, it appears we've had a steady drop in the vendors doing retail sales....tending more to the product display booth and tour operators.

Hamburg was my last Rally, so my impressions might be outdated, but how much vendor space do we need? To me, it appears we've had a steady drop in the vendors doing retail sales....tending more to the product display booth and tour operators.

From my point of view that’s a crying shame. I’m a full day’s ride from the nearest dealer with what I consider a variety of accessories and gear...and they only carry a few brands. The rally is the only place I can do a hands on inspection and actually try things on for fit.

Pete

From my point of view that’s a crying shame. I’m a full day’s ride from the nearest dealer with what I consider a variety of accessories and gear...and they only carry a few brands. The rally is the only place I can do a hands on inspection and actually try things on for fit.

Pete

Same for us, no dealer close by with a good selection of gear to check out.
Iowa and Tenn. had a good selection of motorcycle gear.

Having camped at 15 consecutive Nationals. Tired old Fairgrounds with inadequate facilities are not worth our effort.
Even Lebanon TN last year didn't have mirrors for shaving, and had cold water only sinks in the old bathroom buildings.
And they otherwise had very nice grounds/facilities.

Reminds me of my earlier thoughts in this thread...

Hot running water, mirrors ... that's what hotel rooms are for ... jeeeesh I thought you guys were tough campers! (OK ... OK .. that was a joke so please do not shoot flames at me)

Hot running water, mirrors ... that's what hotel rooms are for ... jeeeesh I thought you guys were tough campers! (OK ... OK .. that was a joke so please do not shoot flames at me)

I'm happy with the breakfast at Hampton Inns.

What our vendors don't want to see... is about 3,000 old and grimy looking ripe guys pawing and slipping into something more comfortable!
Boots, jackets n pants... especially helmets, the comfort brief's and such.

Had a rather unkept looking buddy once return a sleeping bag that was too short for him... after a nights use at the National;
the flabbergasted but kind provider asked him to please donate it to maybe a family member,
he sure didn't want it back... but also handed the guy a extra-long version of the bag and said "try this".

No charge, have a nice day, please tell your colleagues we appreciate being here.

Sometimes scruffy looking is unexpectedly... handy????

But so is a shave n' shower... with hot water and a mirror!

Last edited:
New Breakfast Normal

I'm happy with the breakfast at Hampton Inns.
At the budget end of the price spectrum, if you’re a regular guest at Hilton’s Hampton Inns, Cordell said, “you’re used to making your waffle” in the hotel’s grab-and-go breakfast area. Going forward, the hotel will instead “curate” the six to eight most popular items and put them in sealed bags.
Guests can eat in the breakfast room, take the food back to their rooms or take it out of the building. But no more making your own waffles.

At the budget end of the price spectrum, if you’re a regular guest at Hilton’s Hampton Inns, Cordell said, “you’re used to making your waffle” in the hotel’s grab-and-go breakfast area. Going forward, the hotel will instead “curate” the six to eight most popular items and put them in sealed bags.
Guests can eat in the breakfast room, take the food back to their rooms or take it out of the building. But no more making your own waffles.

I was an Oatmeal, chopped fruit and yogurt guy. I've seen too many waffle machine disasters...…...burnt to a crisp and stuck to the grates.

But, with COVID-19..…….the whole hotel experience has got to be strange. One positive test (guest or staff) and the whole hotel clears

You sure won't be alone in this thought...

Well then, if it's moved to next year possibly I will try to get there.

The one year delay will have a lot of riders ready for a trip to the annual (nearly) National.

And give's you time to prepare yet another presentation on your little island!

Everyone I spoke with enjoyed your presentation "back in 19'."

By then you should be ready to do a seminar about your vacation rental facilities and hand out the great little cards with the 10% discount for folks at the seminar (or passing by in the hallway :) )

Pete

I seem to recall hearing that vendor participation really dropped off after an increase in fees from the MOA, Can anyone verify that or provide comment?

I've been to one rally (Des Moines) and the vendor participation was not nearly what I was expecting to see.

Ski

By then you should be ready to do a seminar about your vacation rental facilities and hand out the great little cards with the 10% discount for folks at the seminar (or passing by in the hallway :) )

And bring some lobster to share. One of my best memories of being a kid in St. John's was my dad coming home with a crate of live lobsters. We would share them with our neighbors and have a great feast.

MAY 2020 Owners News: MOA historic issue, volume 1 of 2

Received this weekend made for some odd reading, pertaining to the Great Falls Rally. Chock full of "Saddle Up & Ride" information that can't be used this year.

I was happy to see Ian Schmeisser's article describing the inbound Posse Ride locations, and its schedule allowing Wednesday arrival (check-in/set-up)...
and in time for the first scheduled music at 7pm, across from the beer garden. Once again and a few times each day I say it... dam pandemic!

Back in the "When and Where" section of Events... they evidently ran out of red ink for the words "Postponed and Cancelled". Dam pandemic.

Anyone know the general timeline, that all articles/content had to be submitted to meet requirements for the JUNE cutoff date???

Anyone know the general timeline, that all articles/content had to be submitted to meet requirements for the JUNE cutoff date???

Typically 45 days in advance of publication date. So, that would have been the middle of April at the latest.

Back