• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Thoughts on R1200RS vs R1250RT

rna4266

Hello all. This is my first post, but I'm hoping to benefit from the collective knowledge and saddle time on making a decision to replace my '16 RS with the '19 RT.

First, I've always had to be canted a bit forward in the saddle to keep pressure off of my tailbone. If I have pressure on my tailbone, my day is over after about 2 hours. The RS does that nicely, but now I'm starting to get fatigue in my wrists -- which I guess is a new era in my aging process. So the question is if any of you have had the same issue and if a saddle has cured that particular problem on an RT?

Second, I've ridden BMWs before with the Telelever and always felt like the front end was disconnected from the road. Nice when bombing down the highway, but really got under my skin in the corners when pushing hard. I'd love to hear comments from those of you who've either ridden both types (telelever and telescopic) or have recently converted and have gotten used to it.

Finally, I'd love to just trade the bike in, but it seems like dealers are always trying to get a bit too much out of my wallet so will likely sell it. I'm not sure how to price the bike as there aren't many RS' sold in our area. Any advice on pricing would be helpful.

Thanks much.

Hello all. This is my first post, but I'm hoping to benefit from the collective knowledge and saddle time on making a decision to replace my '16 RS with the '19 RT.

First, I've always had to be canted a bit forward in the saddle to keep pressure off of my tailbone. If I have pressure on my tailbone, my day is over after about 2 hours. The RS does that nicely, but now I'm starting to get fatigue in my wrists -- which I guess is a new era in my aging process. So the question is if any of you have had the same issue and if a saddle has cured that particular problem on an RT?.

The wethead/shiftcam RTs will have to canted forward a mere 2 degrees, probably won't help much with your rear, but you have the opportunity to relax your arms and your wrists should be all set. In terms of seats, Sargent has a cutout in the center (in the foam only, the cover is one piece) that may provide what you're seeking in terms of tailbone relief. The Sargent seat definitely does a better job of supporting your entire butt and reduces hot spots. Mine too a thousand miles or so to break in, but now I've ridden it as many as 375 miles in a day and could have gone farther.

Sargent offers a 30 day money back guarantee, so you can test it out on your own bike to know whether or not it takes care of your issue.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you can find a good compromise with your choice of bikes!

Regarding telelever, I’ve exclusively ridden telelever bikes since the late 90s (R1100RS, K1200RS, K1300S, R1200GSA, R1250GSA). Last year, I rented an F800 (non-telelever) on a Wheels of Morocco ride and did not like how the front “dived” on hard braking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

First, I've always had to be canted a bit forward in the saddle to keep pressure off of my tailbone. If I have pressure on my tailbone, my day is over after about 2 hours. The RS does that nicely, but now I'm starting to get fatigue in my wrists -- which I guess is a new era in my aging process. So the question is if any of you have had the same issue and if a saddle has cured that particular problem on an RT?

Second, I've ridden BMWs before with the Telelever and always felt like the front end was disconnected from the road. Nice when bombing down the highway, but really got under my skin in the corners when pushing hard. I'd love to hear comments from those of you who've either ridden both types (telelever and telescopic) or have recently converted and have gotten used to it.

Finally, I'd love to just trade the bike in, but it seems like dealers are always trying to get a bit too much out of my wallet so will likely sell it. I'm not sure how to price the bike as there aren't many RS' sold in our area. Any advice on pricing would be helpful.

Thanks much.

First off been riding beemers since 1995 rs's, s's, gs's, rt.s etc etc never had a cant forward or backward problem even riding 700-800 mile days. Just position yourself on the bike that makes you comfortable. Second I just don't believe this front end disconnect stuff and I have probably 300,000 miles on telelever front ends. I never had a problem with that front end when pushing hard in a corner. Third KBB or NADA have used bike guides so just research it. Fourth if your getting fatigue in your wrists your putting too much pressure on your bars. Aging is interesting reality being almost 68 very soon. Hope this helps.

...I've ridden BMWs before with the Telelever and always felt like the front end was disconnected from the road. Nice when bombing down the highway, but really got under my skin in the corners when pushing hard. I'd love to hear comments from those of you who've either ridden both types (telelever and telescopic) or have recently converted and have gotten used to it....

I've ridden Tele's for a number of years and when I got an R1200RS this spring, it took me a few rides to get used to the telescopic forks. When I rode my R1200ST recently, I really noticed how the Tele front end caused it to brake flat. The whole bike felt different, actually. But I like having two sport tourers that are quite different.

As for feel, the Tele drives some riders nuts, but it doesn't seem to bother most. Some, such as BMW tuner Dr. Curve (where did he go?), think it makes a bike handle better.

It's very subjective. Some owners are hypersensitive to the feel of their machines, whether bikes, cars or airplanes. It's quite remarkable.

And welcome to the Forum.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I spent some time on an RT this weekend and have decided that I can live with the "lack of feel" from the telelever front-end. There is definitely a difference in feel, but as I get older I'm a lot less prone to push the bike hard in the corners. I loved the lack of brake dive, though the RS dive isn't nearly as bad as some bikes I've had. The real takeaway was how much warmer I was at 75 mph and 45 Deg. F. behind a big windscreen! RT here I come.

Back