• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Navigator VI (Nav-VI)...Tips and Tricks

Rocky, I have a Cardo, Wethead and Android phone. I'm not sure you can achieve everything in your list. First, if not already done, update your Cardo to the latest software.

You have to choose Mesh or Bluetooth comms with others unless they all have Mesh compatible Cardos. Unless this was changed recently, music sharing is possible in Bluetooth mode only. It also prevents intercom requests from wife's Cardo.

Others may do it differently but here is what I do: 1- Start in mesh mode and pair with wife's Cardo. 2- Switch my Cardo in bluetooth mode. 3- Swithch wife's Cardo to Bluetooth and pair with wife's Cardo in Bluetooth in case she want's to listen to my music. 3- Pair Cardo with my Nav as a GPS. 4- Pair cell to GPS. 5- Pair Cardo to cell as a Cell. Use app (Cardo connect) on cell to manage Cardo. 6- Switch both Cardos to mesh mode. 7- In app, create and add riders to Mesh group.

Voice commands works (Hey Cardo) but I don't know about Hey Siri. I believe you must use the direct Bluetooth connection from Cardo to cell. I don't use that.
I prefer to answer calls through my Nav with accept and cancel button on display.

See, this is where my aging brain quickly hits redline!

I do have latest firmware on all devices, and I do have the Garmin Smart link, Cardo Connect & Smart Set apps installed. I need to learn how to do the Cardo/Bluetooth vs Cardo/Mesh ‘modes’ of pairing - that’s all brand new territory to me. Thanks for your effort to help!!

See, this is where my aging brain quickly hits redline!

I do have latest firmware on all devices, and I do have the Garmin Smart link, Cardo Connect & Smart Set apps installed. I need to learn how to do the Cardo/Bluetooth vs Cardo/Mesh ‘modes’ of pairing - that’s all brand new territory to me. Thanks for your effort to help!!

This video explains it all, it should help you with the pairing:

IMHO mesh or DMC is so much easier to connect/use but sometimes you have to use bluetooth.

The MotoGeek videos are particularly helpful…
I decided to start by only attempting to connect the three components for one-up riding - I first pair the iPhone (as a phone) to the Cardo, and then pair the Nav 6 (as a GPS) to the Cardo. Everything works just as described in the videos.
However, with this set up there are at least two meaningful capabilities lost: 1. Phone controls from the Nav 6 screen, 2. use of Garmin Smart Link App – including real time traffic feed.
If I connect the Cardo to GPS, and then GPS to Phone, I lose at least two different meaningful capabilities: 1. Use of Cardo Connect App, and use of ‘Hey Siri.’
It seems there is no perfect – even with the latest greatest versions of these tech components. I guess I’ll experiment with both set ups and see which one I prefer. Then, I’ll tackle including my wife in the equation…
Thanks again for everyone’s help!

If I connect the Cardo to GPS, and then GPS to Phone, I lose at least two different meaningful capabilities: 1. Use of Cardo Connect App, and use of ‘Hey Siri.’
It seems there is no perfect – even with the latest greatest versions of these tech components. I guess I’ll experiment with both set ups and see which one I prefer. Then, I’ll tackle including my wife in the equation…
Thanks again for everyone’s help!

Not sure if it will work for the Cardo but I have my Sena 10U connected to the Nav VI and iPhone XS connected to the Nav VI. I can use "Hey Siri" by pushing the Phone Icon and then selecting Voice Dial on the next page and then say "Hey Siri" to dial a number.

Is there a way to turn down the DING! for traffic alerts? It's killing my ears. I can't find anything in the settings.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SImple guy here, just want navigation

I pick up a 2017 wethead RT at the end of the month.

This all seems overly complicated for me. I just want to ride, and don't want all the expense, pairing hassles or intrusion. I don't need music in my helmet, or voice commands, or have a need for rider to rider comms, as I ride solo. But I would prefer a standalone GPS. Is it worthwhile to get the Nav VI just to use as a visual navigation device? Or should I skip it and use my phone and Google Maps? That would not be my first preference but it's an option.

I'm being serious here, haha. Maybe I should stick to paper maps..

Last edited:

Or should I skip it and use my phone and Google Maps? That would not be my first preference but it's an option.

I think the only real issue in not using a Sat-Nav system vs. a cellphone-based system is if you find yourself in an area where your cell provider's service is non-existent. At this point, paper maps would serve you well. One of the benefits of the cellphone navigation is traffic information. In the middle of nowhere, that's a non-issue.

This all seems overly complicated for me. I just want to ride, and don't want all the expense, pairing hassles or intrusion. I don't need music in my helmet, or voice commands, or have a need for rider to rider comms, as I ride solo. But I would prefer a standalone GPS. Is it worthwhile to get the Nav VI just to use as a visual navigation device? Or should I skip it and use my phone and Google Maps? That would not be my first preference but it's an option.

It sounds complicated, but it's not. Pairing to a phone or a gps is basically the same. You do it once and it's all set. Just do it in the proper order and it works. No need to repeat unless you change one of the components. So whether you go Nav or cell, is up to you.

Just using visual is fine most of the time. You might miss a turn if you don't pay attention. On the other hand, with voice prompts, you can't miss. I must admit that after a while, it can be annoying, specially if you missed a waypoint. LOL

It sounds complicated, but it's not.

Then why are there literally dozens of posts on this meager forum alone with pairing problems. It might, in fact, not be complicated. But if so it is unreliable at best. Or it is relaible but complicated. There are just too many problems it seems.

Globally, a search using Google on "Pairing phone to GPS" returned over 12 million results. So apparently it is complicated or unreliable for quite a few folks.

Then why are there literally dozens of posts on this meager forum alone with pairing problems. It might, in fact, not be complicated. But if so it is unreliable at best. Or it is relaible but complicated. There are just too many problems it seems.

Globally, a search using Google on "Pairing phone to GPS" returned over 12 million results. So apparently it is complicated or unreliable for quite a few folks.
Or perhaps there are several GPS and headset options to choose from, each with differing capabilities, resulting in hundreds of configuration possibilities. I'm not sure about you, but I like having choices. You don't need to learn every configuration of every system- just the one that works for you. Once set, it's done.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I am with you on just wanting visual navigation. I have been reading this thread with all the issues/tips and thought that I really do not need the hassle, do I?. Then again, I do not really need to have everything paired together. My Schuberth C4 helmet works with the Sena 20S that I bought for my wife's Shark helmet, for talking. I have SirisuXM music through the dash speakers so I do not need to stream my MP3 music to the helmet (which I do on my ancient 2000 R1200C. HA) Heck, even the Apparel and Accessories mgr where I bought the bike advised against getting the Nav V!; I should wait until "all the bugs are worked out." Say what? Are you not supposed to, at least, try to sell me some things from your store? That is why I was somewhat put-off about getting one. The bike is wired for it, so I may get it eventually.

Until then, I will just keep reading this ever informative thread.

I don't think post count matters. It's so much easier to just start a new topic on a forum than entering search criteria. This has been a constant on BBS and forums for as long as they've existed.
We all think we've got a special problem, we don't know how to phrase it and search for it so we just start a new topic. :dunno

..... I don't need music in my helmet, or voice commands, or have a need for rider to rider comms, as I ride solo. But I would prefer a standalone GPS. Is it worthwhile to get the Nav VI just to use as a visual navigation device? Or should I skip it and use my phone and Google Maps? That would not be my first preference but it's an option.

I too ride solo and am glad I have a stand alone GPS unit and here's my reason. I like "curvy roads" and especially roads I haven't been on or familiar with. Having the stand alone GPS is a tool I use to know what curves are coming ahead and how much they curve.

Just kidding but who needs a GPS for "straight and level" driving? But then once you have one and connected your phone and helmet it's a pleasure riding enjoying your favorite tunes or FM radio station.

I think the only real issue in not using a Sat-Nav system vs. a cellphone-based system is if you find yourself in an area where your cell provider's service is non-existent. At this point, paper maps would serve you well. One of the benefits of the cellphone navigation is traffic information. In the middle of nowhere, that's a non-issue.

Right.. good point on the real-time traffic info. As far as areas without service I can probably preload map data but really don't want to hassle with that, as it requires planning the route ahead and one of the things I love is just exploring and having the option to re-route if I feel like it to avoid weather systems or just because I want to. And I always love looking at real paper maps, like at breakfast or lunch. That process worked for me for decades. It actually requires some awareness of where you are and which direction is north, etc. And I find I have a better understanding of a place when I have been forced to mentally know where I am, so to speak.

I too ride solo and am glad I have a stand alone GPS unit and here's my reason. I like "curvy roads" and especially roads I haven't been on or familiar with. Having the stand alone GPS is a tool I use to know what curves are coming ahead and how much they curve.

Just kidding but who needs a GPS for "straight and level" driving? But then once you have one and connected your phone and helmet it's a pleasure riding enjoying your favorite tunes or FM radio station.

Great point about the curvy road option. I understand about the appeal of music but prefer to ride without. Just personal preference. I find it distracting somehow, and sometimes find I am riding to the music, ie. going way too fast, lol.

Exactly.. I don't want to add speakers to my helmet, I don't want to have to deal with pairing issues, and I really don't want to be getting alerts all the time. I just want to ride my motorcycle and look a the scenery. That's why I ride. I spent 30 years dealing with technology in my IT career and I'm pretty much done now. I'm tired of evaluating, integrating, securing and upgrading electronic technology. It is a constant cycle. I don't really mind the mechanical aspects, haha.

Back