• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

seat for RT ideas

lhilbert

seabum
I have a 2016 rt and love the bike but hate the seat how bmw can make such a good bike but have such an uncomfortable seat is beyond me. looking to see what others have done.

There are many threads out there regarding seats. I would say the 2 favorites are Russell Day Long and Sargent. I have a RDL and love it. Just be mindful that it will increase the seat height. The benefit of Sargent is that you don't need to send in your seat as RDL uses your plastic inner frame.

Have been riding BMW since the 1970s ... always fine with original equipment seat.

Have noted on multi-day trips that it's better the 2nd or 3rd day.

Cannot comprehend how someone could fit a seat that doesn't allow them to move around.

magic word: AIRHAWK!!

Personally, I have a Freedom Air which is similar to the Airhawk. My problem with the air freedom is that it left me feeling disconnected from the seating surface, even with very little air in the cushion. On curvy roads I found the feeling a bit disconcerting and don't use it any more. YMMV

Ski

Many seat manufacturers available to the OP. After many satisfied years with a Corbin I've just had a seat redone by Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston Washington. Comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Suggest you contact them just so you know what's available to you. www.richscustomseats.com

Cannot comprehend how someone could fit a seat that doesn't allow them to move around.
That's certainly is an issue with the RDL's if you like really spirited riding. I retained my stock seat and use it for track days and those special runs in the mountains. Hard to carry a second seat when you're touring though. However, if you're going to put in 600+miles a day touring, the RDL is the way to go hands down.

RDL is just as good as it gets. Got one for both my current bikes. Saved a few bucks by just getting the RDL solo seat on the FJR. I can ride non-stop between fuel stops all day and do it again the next day which is pretty good for being mid seventies.:)

Started on RDL (for sale), and transitioned to LAAM. All the quality and comfort, sans the seat height and dynamic positioning penalties, for a less $ and faster turn-around.

Started on RDL (for sale), and transitioned to LAAM. All the quality and comfort, sans the seat height and dynamic positioning penalties, for a less $ and faster turn-around.

thanks for all the feedback I will look into to a RDL seat. Nothing worse than you want to ride more but your butt dose not!

I thought about a LAAM seat but it kind of resembled a Sargents seat which just didn't do it for me at all. I think it is easier to touch the ground with a Sargents or LAAM though. I think the LAAM has a nicer look to it than the RDL but looks don't apparently equal comfort at least for me.

With the stock seat I'd sometimes been unable to walk after 300 miles. My used RDL was built for someone the same height, but a little lighter. I get both feet flat at stops by sliding forward an inch or two, or one foot if I stay mostly in the pocket. The same slight slide allows side-to-side weight shifts for more active street riding, and I tell myself that moving my weight forward helps front tire traction. If I really need to hang off, I could put the old seat back on, though I don't find that necessary at reasonable (not necessarily "legal") street speeds.

After the SLC rally last summer, I camped at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP in Colorado. About 9:30 one morning, it was very hot, and I'd seen what I wanted, so I pointed the bike toward home on US 50. I figured I'd stop late afternoon, as usual. Well, somehow I just kept rolling. It was cooler in motion, and once I was east of Pueblo (111Âş according to a bank sign) the scenery isn't much to write home about. Had tunes and audible books on the Sena. Stopped every 90-120 minutes, for gas and/or food. Strolled around one small KS town for a while after my dinner break. Riding appealed more than another night in a random motel, so I kept going. Open gas stations in the small towns were getting scarce about 11PM, so I picked up I-35 to I-70, which also gave me better access to rest areas. Slept on a picnic bench for an hour or so somewhere in Missouri. Found myself at home at 3:30 the next afternoon. I still felt good, didn't head to bed until about 10PM. GPS says the trip was 1500 miles, 24 hours out of 30 in motion.

While cleaning the bike a day or so later, I realized that not once on that entire ride had I given a single thought to my butt. So, yeah, I'm an RDL believer.

When I sent my seat in based on my scheduled rebuild date the turnaround time was a couple of weeks. I would contact them to see where you would fall in their current schedule, you could have a nice seat for the start of the season. I know I am sure glad I did. Building a solo for my RS was less expensive than the Sargent or Corbin, better result.

Another vote here for the RDL. Had one on my 1200GS, and loved it. Most comfortable seat ever.

I only chimed in to suggest you look for a used seat for your RT. I don't know how common they are. I found used F&R seats for my GS for a very reasonable price on the IBMWR site, and used them for the RDL builds. When I finally got rid of the GS and switched to Harley, that allowed me to sell the RDL seats separately from the bike, for a very nice price.

I have a 2016 rt and love the bike but hate the seat how bmw can make such a good bike but have such an uncomfortable seat is beyond me. looking to see what others have done.

I have installed Sargent seats on every BMW I have owned; including my RT.
My anatomy must match that of their designer.

Joe

Probably not the solution you are looking for, but for $40 you can get a wood beaded seat or cut a cheap car beaded seat ($20) in half for a test. I'd try the the $40, made for a motorcycle, model for a first purchase.

I'd seen these for many years and wondered "What in the World?"and "Ugly!".
First two hours on the interstate highway I thought it was a lot more comfortable that the (Corbin) seat I had and I found out comfort is not ugly.

Wouldn't it be nice to solve your problem for $40 ?
It'll fit all your bikes and your next one too, maybe.

Charlie

Last edited:

If a person were to attend the start or finish of the 11 day Iron Butt Rally - as I have done every two years since 1999 - you would find that the majority of the participants ride on Russell Day Long saddles, and if not then either a Rick or Rocky Mayer. A few Rich's or Sargeant seats also appear. But the vast majority over the years have been RDL saddles.

Back