• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

torque wrench set for travel

Torque wrenches are to be stored at their minimum torque setting when not in use. Say you have a 20-100 ftlb torque wrench, you turn it to 20 ftlb when you're done. Turning below its' minimum isn't good for the wrench either.

I would think that one compact enough may really have minimal utility. What would you use it for? I'm a 'fine one to talk' because I tend to carry too many tools but a torque wrench has never been part of my over indulgence. - Bob

I carry a lot of tools but not a torque wrench even though I have more than one. My favourite shows values in Newton Metres so that conversion to foot or inch pounds is not needed but man it is heavy and large. Heck that weight and area could be saved a glass bottle of Canadian Whiskey instead!

I am not making a recommendation. Not sure of accuracy or ease of use, but sure is the right size. If you get one, then please have it calibrated and report back on your impressions.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...ource=Bing+PLAs&creative=11236270516&device=c

interesting little gizmo. Easy to pack and all. However, even with this, I don't know where my application (on the road) would be :scratch Wheel bolts? Maybe I just have enough experience tightening bolts that I am comfortable enough with the 'feel' so that I can ride to most any garage in order to snug it up more accurately..... if it really matters. - Bob

interesting little gizmo. Easy to pack and all. However, even with this, i don't know where my application (on the road) would be :scratch wheel bolts? Maybe i just have enough experience tightening bolts that i am comfortable enough with the 'feel' so that i can ride to most any garage in order to snug it up more accurately..... If it really matters. - bob

+1..... Bingo!!!

I am not making a recommendation. Not sure of accuracy or ease of use, but sure is the right size. If you get one, then please have it calibrated and report back on your impressions.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...ource=Bing+PLAs&creative=11236270516&device=c

Have it calibrated is a very good point.
I know of someone that pulled 2 head studs because of incorrect calibration.

If Proto or Snap On made one, I'd be interested. Unknown brand makes me nervous.

At one time Sears sold one. But for I am not going to take a torque wrench on the road. The two times I did have a need I needed more than the torque wrench to fix what had me broke down.

Don

I have a 1/2" version from Harbor Freight, that has had good reviews in car magazines. My own testing using suspended weights, a Starrett rule and a digital scale (+/- 1 gram) suggests the accuracy is better than 2%. The calibration sheet that came with it says better than +/- 0.3%, but I don't trust my own measurements to be that good. I mostly use it to easily check and adjust the calibration on my other torque wrenches.

I trust the reliability of my bike enough that I see no need to carry a torque wrench. This guy carries two, along with a few other odds and ends. I guess he has had some trouble with his K1200LT. Somewhere I saw pics of another LT rider that filled both panniers with tools, including TWO hydraulic jacks. At some point you need to draw a line...

But it would be sitting on the bench with your tire kit as there was no room in your sidecase:stick

That's a good one.. you got me. I do have a plan to reevaluate my pack to incorporate said contingencie items. At execution last Monday I had to make a decision. Turned out to be the right one this time however, I fully intend to reevaluate my packing plan.. But not until I get the new bike next month.

"torque wrench set"?

Torx wrench set, perhaps? What's a "set" w/r/t a torque wrench?

I have a set of Wiha ball-end torx drivers that are so useful when traveling.

In case this thread goes that direction.

Back