• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Vapor Blasting - has anyone tried this?

Thanks. I wish there were something that gave that fresh new look without taking everything apart.

The best think I can think of is that Barkeepers cleanser stuff.... which isn't half bad, but requires mucho elbow grease.

Ian

Don't know if this the same, but a friend recently had his bike detailed using steam cleaning. He was blown away by how wonderful it looked when he picked it up.

Last edited:
Of course nobody likes to let out proprietary secrets......The reading reminds me a lot of Soda Blasting.
SB is one of the new ways of cleaning material with minimal damage to the base material. I guess the next level up is walnut shells.
It would be nice to get an engine spiffed up without disassembly.
OM

Parts are then vapor blasted in the Vixen AquaBlast, then immediately rinsed with clear water, dried, and sprayed with protectant.

If it is "sprayed with a protectant" then that in my books would be a clear coat, anything from a mat to a glossy finish. Hell I can do that and looking at their finishes on line, they look a bit dark which is what a clear coat will do having done so myself. What I would want is the parts to be clear anodized.

As for the prep work before that, anything from soda or poly blasting (gentle) to silicon carbide (aggressive) will do that.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a tough two-part clear coat in a can, they should check out SprayMax.

Thanks for your email this morning Alex.

Let me clarify that 'protectant' comment a bit - There are a few flavors of that, mine is good ol' WD-40 at the moment. That serves the dual purposes of protecting steel bearing inserts from flash rust, and restoring some of the luster to the aluminum (aka "makes it look great" :))

With regard to the finishes looking dark, that's more a function of it being a PITA to photograph metal, especially clean metal. I take the photographs to the side of the packing area where I don't get direct reflections from the overhead lights, and what's reflected is the underside of the overhanging shelf. There's nothing dark about a vapor blasted finish from me or anyone else that does this - it looks as close to freshly cast aluminum as...freshly cast aluminum :)

Best,

Nils Menten

Let me clarify that 'protectant' comment a bit - There are a few flavors of that, mine is good ol' WD-40 at the moment. That serves the dual purposes of protecting steel bearing inserts from flash rust, and restoring some of the luster to the aluminum (aka "makes it look great" :))

Best,
Nils Menten

Yes, but how is WD-40 a long term (more than a few days) solution? If I am doing an R80 G/S engine case and going through the trouble of dis-assembly, rebuild and re-assembly, then I want the protective finish to last.

Consider getting into clear anodizing and you will have a long term solution to corrosion. That I would be interested in.

By the way, since I am familiar with media blasting and the bright finish it leaves, a coat of WD-40 is what will take a bit of that brightness away which is what I was referring to.

Yes, but how is WD-40 a long term (more than a few days) solution? If I am doing an R80 G/S engine case and going through the trouble of dis-assembly, rebuild and re-assembly, then I want the protective finish to last.

Consider getting into clear anodizing and you will have a long term solution to corrosion. That I would be interested in.

By the way, since I am familiar with media blasting and the bright finish it leaves, a coat of WD-40 is what will take a bit of that brightness away which is what I was referring to.

That anodizing is an interesting idea, as is clear powdercoat, which another collaborator wants to test with me. Haven't got there yet, plenty of fish to fry at the moment as it is :). One of the...byproducts of vapor blasting is that it microscopically peens the surface of the aluminum, sealing the pores as it does. This slows down the inevitable oxidization when aluminum is exposed to air, a lot I'm told, and reports from folks that have had this work done going back a few years is that the parts still look great and clean up very easily 3+ years later.

I"ve got a great local plater that I work with - I will get with him before too long and try the clear anodizing concept with him, will report back when I do. I appreciate the thoughts Alex.

N.

Hi Nils,

This is my 1990 BMW R100 GS that I bought new in 1991. This photo was taken in August 2013 and although my GS was stored for about ten years (while I was riding my GS Adventure), it still had over ten years of use and quite a few tours behind it.

I cannot with 100% certainty say what process BMW uses to keep the cases that bright for so long, but it is a chemical process, not a clear coat.

This is what I am after when I get around to restoring my R80 G/S Paris Dakar.

If you can do that, I would be interested.

1990%20BMW%20R100%20GS%20-%20Final%20Drive-XL.jpg

One more tip from me, Nils.

Swish Facto AT34 is an aluminum brightener (also sold by WĂĽrth in a spray bottle but expensive for the small quantity) that I have used for many years.
Swish%20Facto%20AT-34%20-%20Aluminum%20Cleaner%20%26%20Brightener%20Concentrate.jpg

It depends on the aluminum alloy, but in most cases it does a great job. By the way, this is a last resort for brightening aluminum (removes corrosion) and it not to be used on anodized finishes.

I used Facto AT34 on the engine case in the flywheel area of an old R65 that I used to use for my Euro tours. The R65 was 14 years old at the time and the flywheel/clutch area looked like crap. Sorry, no before photo and this after photo is as good as it gets since it is a scan of a photograph.

BMW%20R%2065%20Clutch-2.jpg

One more tip from me, Nils.

Swish Facto AT34 is an aluminum brightener (also sold by WĂĽrth in a spray bottle but expensive for the small quantity) that I have used for many years.
Swish%20Facto%20AT-34%20-%20Aluminum%20Cleaner%20%26%20Brightener%20Concentrate.jpg

It depends on the aluminum alloy, but in most cases it does a great job. By the way, this is a last resort for brightening aluminum (removes corrosion) and it not to be used on anodized finishes.

I used Facto AT34 on the engine case in the flywheel area of an old R65 that I used to use for my Euro tours. The R65 was 14 years old at the time and the flywheel/clutch area looked like crap. Sorry, no before photo and this after photo is as good as it gets since it is a scan of a photograph.

BMW%20R%2065%20Clutch-2.jpg

Alex - priceless info and experience, and much appreciated. I will investigate both.

Best,

Nils

Of course nobody likes to let out proprietary secrets......The reading reminds me a lot of Soda Blasting.
SB is one of the new ways of cleaning material with minimal damage to the base material. I guess the next level up is walnut shells.
It would be nice to get an engine spiffed up without disassembly.
OM

I had the antifouling removed on my boat with soda blasting - but the residue made a terrible mess of the deck which took months to clear up. It wasn't the paint, it was the soda. I imagine it would corrode your aluminum something wicked if you didn't remove it VERY carefully.:dunno

Hi Nils, any update on the "clear anodizing" aspect to protect the finish after this process (other than clear coating).

By the way, if anyone is looking to clear coat (gloss or mat) their parts, Spray Max (a German company) produces a 2-part paint system in a can which is also sold by Eastwood under their own name. A separate container within the can that houses the hardener is punctured by the user and then mixed within the can by shaking it. Good for a maximum of 48 hours depending on temperature so you need to line up all your parts. A can is pricey!

I have not used it myself yet (I bought two cans), but it produces a very nice tough finish according to a user on another forum.

Spray Max

Eastwood 2K Aero-Spray Paints

I just want to mention that I have known Nils for many years and have a lot of respect for him. He's one of the good guys. :thumb

Back