• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any long term Shell Rotella T users?

Have tried it in a few different bikes, never for more than two rounds of changes as I didn't like the apparent affect on shifting, made otherwise not clunky gear boxes, clunky.

I have been using Rotella T (Full Sythetic) in my 06 Wee Strom since break in (171000km!) with nothing but great results! Shifting was always smooth and the engine always purred like a well oiled kitten! I really hope to be able to use this oil in my 2016 RT but am concerned over the RTs catalytic converter! Can anyone offer any advice?:ca

I have been using Rotella T (Full Sythetic) in my 06 Wee Strom since break in (171000km!) with nothing but great results! Shifting was always smooth and the engine always purred like a well oiled kitten! I really hope to be able to use this oil in my 2016 RT but am concerned over the RTs catalytic converter! Can anyone offer any advice?:ca

Rotella T6 5-40 (and other grades, I think) is API SN certified, which means that it is OK to use in modern gasoline vehicles with spark ignition, and suitable for catalytic converters. Greater demand on catalytic converter lifespan was one of the main reasons for moving from SM to SN in 2010.

--
Jostein

Rotella T6 5-40 (and other grades, I think) is API SN certified, which means that it is OK to use in modern gasoline vehicles with spark ignition, and suitable for catalytic converters. Greater demand on catalytic converter lifespan was one of the main reasons for moving from SM to SN in 2010.

--
Jostein
Welcome to the forum!
Gary

WalMart is not the answer for German vehicles.
Interesting....I just used some of the new BMW oil- made by Shell (who makes Rotella) for BMW. I have used 100's of gallons of Rotella in my trucks. OK, yeah, I didn't run it through my chemistry set but......all the properties that I'm used to seeing, smelling and residues leads me to believe me that that new BMW whizz-bang oil and Rotella are fraternal twins.
YMMV
OM

WalMart is not the answer for German vehicles.
not sure if you're serious, but if Wal-Mart sold LiquidMoly motorcycle oil at a lower price than other places we should not put it in our bikes? The Mobil 1 full synthetic they sell is somehow inferior than the Mobil 1 Amazon or other auto shops sell and is no good for my car?

Now I have no love for Wal-Mart but let's not be snobs nor spread ignorance by claiming if it's sold in Wal-Mart it's crap and somehow our bikes, German, Japanese or American can somehow tell the difference between the same product based on where it is sold.

Back to the point, I've run it in many bikes without issue and use the 15w40 in all my dirt bikes, several which have been apart for big bore kits and were found to be super clean and none have had any internal problems. I know several people that use the T5 in their BMW bikes and have ever had an issue.

If the oil meets the specs it meets the specs, period. I haven't personally gone to T5 because I haven't been convinced it meets the specs and have read conflicting reports, so I'm waiting a bit.

--
Jostein

API SN is good but you need JASO MA2 also. The friction modifiers in most auto oils can cause slippage in a wet clutch. Rosella T6 does not have friction modifiers AFIK.

WalMart Shell is not refined in Germany (or Dubai) as is BMW Shell. They are apples/oranges two different products.

And my F800GS seems to have a Rotax engine- whatever.
FWIW, I would have to see evidence of what you speak before I could go along with it.......Not that I don't trust BMW implicitdy :eek or anything. :)
OM

API SN is good but you need JASO MA2 also. The friction modifiers in most auto oils can cause slippage in a wet clutch. Rosella T6 does not have friction modifiers AFIK.

Rotella T6 is JASO MA rated, meaning it can be used with a wet clutch. JASO MA2 is a higher standard and is better for bikes with catalytic converters.

JASO introduced 2 ratings for 4 stroke motorcycle oils:

JASO MA – This was the standard for single unit engines where the wet clutch, gearbox and engine used the same oil. JASO-MA oils don’t contain friction modifiers.

JASO MB – This lower standard was for bikes that use separate oils for the engine, clutch and gearbox (e.g Harley Davidson’s and BMW’s).

Then in 2006 JASO introduced…..

JASO-MA2 – This specification was introduced in 2006 for modern motorcycle engines. As well as being a higher standard of oil the JASO-MA2 approval means the oil is suitable for use in bikes with catalytic converts in the exhaust system.

The following seems to indicate that Rotella T6 5w40 does indeed meet MA2 standards. It's not easy to find but here's the direct link: http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_States_Shell_Rotella_T6_5W-40_(CJ-4)_(en-US)_TDS.pdf

Specifications, Approvals & Recommendations
· API: CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF · API: SM, SL, SJ, SH
· ACEA: E9
· Caterpillar: ECF-3, ECF-2
· Cummins: CES 20081
· DDC: 93K218
· Ford: WSS-M2C171-E
· JASO: DH2, MA, MA2
· Mack: EO-O Premium Plus
· MB Approval: 228.31
· Volvo: VDS-4

Oh, and I know this is my very first post ... what is it about oil discussions that just get the fingers going ...

Waiting on my 16 R 1200 RT ... should be in by the end of the year. I'm still waiting on my MOA package though so can't update my profile. Name is Charlie and I live out on Long Island. I've been using this stuff in my current ride (96 Honda Magna) and my wife's 07 VLX for years without any issues. They aren't modern BMW's but the oil has not caused any clutch or transmission related issues. Both bikes shift as smooth (or smoother) than using any other motorcycle specific oil.

Last edited:
Rotella T6 is very popular in the FJR and Concours communities. Many swear by it and have used Rotella in one form or another for many miles. But then those machines are just products of Japanese engineering.

Last edited:
Use it extensively in both bikes and my diesel TDI Jetta, excursion, and tractor. Good stuff at great price

Back