• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

SEAT!!!! 2015 RT with plank for a seat...

I ordered mine last Sunday and received confirmation that it will take 3 to 4 weeks. Add another week as I am in Costa Rica. Cant wait to get rid of that OEM low seat the bike came with.
Whomever gets it first please post a picture!

Sargent sent me their email a few days ago stating that the new RTW seat and it's options are officially available for order. :thumb

I was in the same situation a few months ago with the OEM low seat.... OUCH!!! I took a chance on the "new guys" so to speak at Laam Custom Seats. ( http://laamseats.com ) If I am not mistaken, he worked with one of the Mayer brothers before he started having all of his personal challenges. My seat was the first "low seat" for the RTW that he had done, and rather than sending him the actual OEM Low seat, I sent him the OEM regular seat that came with the bike to be lowered and made more comfortable. (they are the same seat pan, just different thickness of foam)

The seat he returned to me was too tall, but super comfortable. I took photos of the difference in the height of the two seats and he was shocked. I returned it to him for additional reworking. The rework took a little longer than promised, but it was well worth the wait. The quality of work is top notch and I am well pleased.

As evidence of the comfort, I just completed a 12-day 5600 mile tour of the southwest USA and never gave the seat a second thought...

-Steve

Hey there I live close by. I called Sargent yesterday and they told me to come by and they would let me test ride a demo seat. Going to try to go by tomorrow morning.

I went by Sargent's today, ppalac I think I saw your seat on the counter!!!, anyway they let me take one for a test ride. Better than stock but I don't know if it is that much better to warrant the price, I'll have to think about it some more.

I went by Sargent's today, ppalac I think I saw your seat on the counter!!!, anyway they let me take one for a test ride. Better than stock but I don't know if it is that much better to warrant the price, I'll have to think about it some more.

Thats not certainly what I wanted to hear.. mine is on back order and I have very high expectations..

Researching Best Option for Replacing Stock Low Seat on 2014 RT

Glad I found this thread ! I just got back from a 6K mile trip from Jupiter, FL to Nova Scotia. I thought the stock low seat was going to be fine but the final two days of the trip were pretty uncomfortable. It has to go. I called Corbin because the one they made for the HD Road King was good for all 80K miles. They don’t offer a low version unfortunately and with a 31” inseam, I like my feet on the ground. They will sculpt the nose, which “may” help, but I’d rather not do the trial and error thing. I see that Sargent has a “low” option, but has anyone received theirs yet to compare the ride height ? The Corbin also requires some wiring changes and the Sargent claims to be a plug and play for the heated seats. So if the Sargent is indeed as comfortable as advertised and offers the same ride height asthe BMW low seat, that appears to be a good option ?

Jamie

Dang I just got back from a 3700 mile trip to NS and we did not even run into each other. Stock seat only an occasional monkey butt. What a great trip. All back roads from bangor Me back to ohio. Man would love to do it again.

with a 31” inseam, I like my feet on the ground.
I completely appreciate the desire for stability, but even with a 29" inseam, I use the standard height seat. I am comfortable with it because I virtually never put my right foot down (so it's always covering the rear brake). Normally, I stand with the ball of my foot on the ground (there's no real need for the foot to be fully flat on the ground), and I always stop so that is the case (at the last instant before totally halted, a tiny counter steer causes the bike to lean a hair to the left, ensuring the left foot will be providing the support). On the rare occasion when there is an extra-long reach (ground falling away to the left, I just slight over a bit in the seat to let the left leg reach down a bit more.

I offer this to suggest that before you seek a height-compromised (and thus perhaps less comfortable) seat option, you try the above to see whether you can/cannot get comfortable with the approach. If you can, your tail may thank you for it on long days in the saddle! :)

I became particularly sold on Sargent after doing an Iron Butt ride on my old '04 K1200RS. This provided me enough confidence on sticking with Sargent for the '15 R1200RT.

Currently, I have a standard seat on the RT and honestly, it hasn't really bothered me on some recent tours around Florida (~400 miles). I'm a short guy (30" inseam) and wanted to try the low seat. After sitting on the low Sargent height, it felt border line to having enough foam/padding thus I optioned for the standard Sargent height.

I've become comfortable with the standard seat height (in the low setting) where my toes touch the ground. I believe I'm more concerned with comfort for the long haul as I believe the seat height and peg position work well for me on the RT.

Glad I found this thread ! I just got back from a 6K mile trip from Jupiter, FL to Nova Scotia. I thought the stock low seat was going to be fine but the final two days of the trip were pretty uncomfortable. It has to go. I called Corbin because the one they made for the HD Road King was good for all 80K miles. They don’t offer a low version unfortunately and with a 31” inseam, I like my feet on the ground. They will sculpt the nose, which “may” help, but I’d rather not do the trial and error thing. I see that Sargent has a “low” option, but has anyone received theirs yet to compare the ride height ? The Corbin also requires some wiring changes and the Sargent claims to be a plug and play for the heated seats. So if the Sargent is indeed as comfortable as advertised and offers the same ride height asthe BMW low seat, that appears to be a good option ?

Jamie
I replaced the stock low seat on my 2015 RT with a low seat from Bill Mayer Saddles (no relation). Big improvement.

Dang I just got back from a 3700 mile trip to NS and we did not even run into each other. Stock seat only an occasional monkey butt. What a great trip. All back roads from bangor Me back to ohio. Man would love to do it again.

One of the gentlemen I was riding with was from Ohio. He broke formation in Cleveland. I'm from Cincinnati myself, but I don't do snow so South Florida works great for me. Also, the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia was amazing. I was there between 6/12 and 6/14 so might have passed by :)

jk

I spoke to Sargent today and the Low option is about 1/2" higher than the stock Low seat. I also like the fact that the stock key is even a plug and play along with the heating elements. Sargent did a pretty good job designing this product.

Sounds like a 2-3 week back order at this point in time. I think I can live with the height difference.

jk

My Sargent seat has left their facility and is on its way to Costa Rica! I will let you know!! Cant wait!:)

My Sargent seat has left their facility and is on its way to Costa Rica! I will let you know!! Cant wait!:)

Thanks for the update here. This initiated me to make a call out to them. My seat was ready for pick up! Got it late today. Will get it installed and post some photos soon.

ehc0720 - Consequently, I'm wondering if I should've taken your hint more seriously. I'm not sure how long it's been ready for pickup.

R1200RT LC Sargent Seat Pix

Able to take some pix to share. Hope to get some riding today.

Front Seat Top
IMG_5121_zpsyxoubmr9.jpg

Front Seat Bottom
IMG_5122_zpsodcvhsn0.jpg

Rear Seat Top
IMG_5123_zpsf4qnjtzx.jpg

Rear Seat Bottom
IMG_5124_zps7t7ojlvz.jpg

Front Seat Storage Pod
IMG_5125_zpschefjdpz.jpg

Front Seat Fit
IMG_5126_zpss1jo5aoq.jpg

Installed
IMG_5119_zps9ffbst5r.jpg

Able to take some pix to share. Hope to get some riding today.

Front Seat Top
IMG_5121_zpsyxoubmr9.jpg

Front Seat Bottom
IMG_5122_zpsodcvhsn0.jpg

Rear Seat Top
IMG_5123_zpsf4qnjtzx.jpg

Rear Seat Bottom
IMG_5124_zps7t7ojlvz.jpg

Front Seat Storage Pod
IMG_5125_zpschefjdpz.jpg

Front Seat Fit
IMG_5126_zpss1jo5aoq.jpg

Installed
IMG_5119_zps9ffbst5r.jpg

That looks very nice! Let us know how it feels!

Back