• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

wiring, relay, additional driving lights

C

Craigt

I just purchased some inexpensive lights at the local auto store. i want to wire them so that they can not be turned on with the key off. they did not come with a relay. does anyone have experience with this? and also a wiring diagram.
thanks,

craig

Craig, you could go to Radio Shack or any auto parts store and get a 20 or 30-amp relay for cheap, wire it into your parking light circuit to key it on/off.

On my K bike it is the grey and white wire inside the relay box under the tank.

You would be wise to install an on/off (spst) switch before the relay in case you didn't want to have it on all the time, too.

Or you could order a ready-made aux. light relay wiring harness from Eastern Beaver---always top notch products and expedient shipping from Jim.

www.easternbeaver.com

wiring the lights

Jim,
Thanks for your reply. I just want to make sure I do the right thing. Ok, so I put a on off switch on the bars that turns aux. light relay on or off. New aux. relay is getting power directly from grey/white parking light circuit in relay box under gas tank. One lead of new aux. relay is attached to grey/white wire and the other lead goes directly to the aux. lights?
Craig

DrivingLightRelay-vi.jpg

With this wiring setup, you can have the driving lights activated with either the High or Low beams, or off. And they will not go on with the ignition off.

Aux Light Relay Set

Craig,

I have an Eastern Beaver Aux light wire and relay set that you can buy if you would like.

I bought it off another BMW site. The seller advertised it as a Headlight Relay and wouldn't admit that he may have mis-labeled the add in that other forum. I have a set of aux lights and I don't need this really nice Eastern Beaver set.

It didn't come with a wiring diagram, but you can find out how it wires up at the Eastern Beaver website and/or use the diagram one of the other poster's drew up.

It has never been used as far as I can tell. I didn't install it and it doesn't look like the previous owner installed it either. He said he didn't.

The price is $30 shipping included. That's what I paid for it. The regular price is $42.95 plus shipping, so this would save you a little.

I am going to list it on the Flea Market in a day or so, but I am offering it to you since I saw your post. I have a K75 also and I bought some aux lights from Martin Fabrication, they came with a relay and wires.

PM me if you are interested and we can work out the details.

Thanks,
John Eagan

Attachments

• Aux lt relay.jpg
    Aux lt relay.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 69
Back