• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wiring Harness Differences Between Models

b25bsaboy

Good morning,

Put the battery into the 76 R 75/6 project and it lights up, somewhat! Horn works (surprise), sorted out the signal lights (they work), head light works. Started looking at the birds nest inside the head light bucket and decided to remove what I did a year ago at straighten out the wiring routing as it looked like a bad day on any freeway in the world in the middle of rush hour.

Took the trust tablet and started looking for some schematics that made sense and they are out there. This brings me to several questions that I need some enlightening.

1. Wiring usually is in two colours, as an example brown/yellow. But on any schematic that I have seen it only spells out brown. Why is that, as the British bike schematics list both colours to lessen the confusion.

2. It appears that the connector board is different in who manufactured it. The board that I replaced has a slot brown/black called LKK. There is nothing that I have seen that has these markings. Another example is the green 15U at the top right hand corner. The drawings schematics list it as 15. Is there a reason for this?P1040556.jpg

3. The wiring harness itself seems to be somewhat the same. What I mean is that the 1975 BMW R60/s, R75/6, R90/6 & R90S are the same. Is this correct.

4. Was there a change up from the years 1975 to 1976 wiring harness. If so what are the differences.

I will tell you that the wiring harness setup with the connector board is much better than the British Bikes, especially the later Norton Commando's that had two wiring harnesses that came together under the full tank, and if not done correctly was bound to fail.

I think your board matches up pretty well with this Haynes diagram:

http://www.stephenbottcher.net/BMW/wiring_diagrams/1975_1976_Slash6_wiring_haynes.jpg

If you're into German, try this:

http://www.powerboxer.de/schalt-wartungsplaene/110-schaltpl-foxer

Certain, there are multiple colors used in the harness. Brown is ground, but IIRC a color like Brown/Green is switched ground. Things like that.

As you get closer to 1977/1978, the harnesses did change and I'm not sure when things were phased in. But they were heading to at least one change which was the electric tach so they began including that in the wiring harnesses even though they were needed in the /6s.

When I put mine back together, I was having an intermittent problem with the brake lights and turn signals. I finally bypassed the fuse holders in the circuit board and replaced them with inline holders from Pep Boys. Nary a problem since. I think the wires being stuffed into the headlight shell were pushing on the fuse holder and causing poor / intermittent contact with the fuse.

When I put mine back together, I was having an intermittent problem with the brake lights and turn signals. I finally bypassed the fuse holders in the circuit board and replaced them with inline holders from Pep Boys. Nary a problem since. I think the wires being stuffed into the headlight shell were pushing on the fuse holder and causing poor / intermittent contact with the fuse.

Thank you for the responses!

After digging around found a schematic drawing that has to be one of the clearest wiring schematics I have come across. What makes this drawing unique is that each wire is clearly marked GN - VI (green/violet). The coloured ones such as Haynes manual is confusing as most of them are. Guess my problem is as a retired guy whose eye sight is not the best and spent a career reading piping/process drawings that you had to know the symbols.

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/R90S.pdf

Thank you for the responses!

After digging around found a schematic drawing that has to be one of the clearest wiring schematics I have come across. What makes this drawing unique is that each wire is clearly marked GN - VI (green/violet). The coloured ones such as Haynes manual is confusing as most of them are. Guess my problem is as a retired guy whose eye sight is not the best and spent a career reading piping/process drawings that you had to know the symbols.

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/R90S.pdf

Even with my glasses on that link pulls up a blank page. :scratch

Back