• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Who here rides a R1200/1250RS?

I recently added some tank knee pads and a center protector since I noticed that I was getting scuffs in the surfaces. I got them from Motografix in the UK. High quality and excellent service. They had the center protector available but worked with me to design and develop the tank knee pads for the Austin Yellow Matte.
IMG_20230826_122758648.jpgIMG_20230826_121106729~3.jpg

Swapped out my '21 Scrambler for this a couple days ago. Hate to see the Scrambler go, but I also have two airheads and wanted something more modern.
IMG_2446.jpeg
IMG_2444.jpeg

The 23 RS is definitely more modern. I see you got the factory handlebar instead of the "clip on" bars. Supposed to make it be easier handling, especially at low speeds. Enjoy. :thumb

The 23 RS is definitely more modern. I see you got the factory handlebar instead of the "clip on" bars. Supposed to make it be easier handling, especially at low speeds. Enjoy. :thumb

Thanks. Definitely wanted the tubular bars as they are better for mounting accessories.

Thanks. Definitely wanted the tubular bars as they are better for mounting accessories.

Congratulations. I was interested in the bar option until I saw it moved the grips higher and farther back. Nice color choice!

53127833094_9ffc75d565_c.jpg

Congratulations. I was interested in the bar option until I saw it moved the grips higher and farther back. Nice color choice!

53127833094_9ffc75d565_c.jpg

Thanks. I will ride more with a slight bias to the touring part of "sport touring" so the bars were a better fit there as well. I have noticed that they cause a small interference between the clutch lever and the mirror stalk though. It's only at full lock and minor, so I will not worry about it.

Considerations

I have a 2021 R1250RS. It is definitely a step child of the brand in that it is not highly marketed yet is probably the best of the bikes with the boxer engine. I added Helibar risers and Suburban Machinery peg lowering blocks on mine and created one of the most comfortable bikes I've owned. In fact, my knee and hip angles are very very close to that of those on a new GS, a bike I wanted because of its fit for my 6'4" frame (of course I would have dropped the pegs on a GS too so it would have been the better choice for my hips). In the current set up, my RS is great for 500-750 mile days but I tend to just do the 200 mile morning loops on weekends. I also paid about $4500 less for it than a comparably equipped GS. It's a fantastic bike for what I do!

View attachment 91367

My current ride is a 16RT and have been looking at the RS & R bikes. I first leaned towards the R but after reading the forums going from one extreme, having full weather protection to the naked is probably not a wise long term solution. At least not from what I read here anyway. I took the 1250 GS, RS, & R, out for a test ride and loved the GS ergonomics. I took out the RS and didn’t care for the riding position and buffeting. Then Took out the R bike and thought that with lowered foot pegs, I was home free but I hear all kinds of complaints about a good windshield working out. Now I learn that we can swap the handle bars of the R bike with the RS and basically have an R bike with a fairing. One thing to note is that I could always put on bar backs if necessary. (Doubtful but I like having the option)
So I wanted to know what you did to your RS to give it similar ergonomics of the GS.

My current ride is a 16RT and have been looking at the RS & R bikes. I first leaned towards the R but after reading the forums going from one extreme, having full weather protection to the naked is probably not a wise long term solution. At least not from what I read here anyway. I took the 1250 GS, RS, & R, out for a test ride and loved the GS ergonomics. I took out the RS and didn’t care for the riding position and buffeting. Then Took out the R bike and thought that with lowered foot pegs, I was home free but I hear all kinds of complaints about a good windshield working out. Now I learn that we can swap the handle bars of the R bike with the RS and basically have an R bike with a fairing. One thing to note is that I could always put on bar backs if necessary. (Doubtful but I like having the option)
So I wanted to know what you did to your RS to give it similar ergonomics of the GS.

Ive installed Voight handlebar risers on my 2023 with factory bars , and have the Option 719 three way adjustable foot controls . I sit upright with relaxed hip and knee bends but I'm 5' 1" with 30" inseam ( short upper body ) It is very comfortable ride . The RS is only 10 pounds heavier from the R version , but the weather protection is worth it :)

Thanks. I will ride more with a slight bias to the touring part of "sport touring" so the bars were a better fit there as well. I have noticed that they cause a small interference between the clutch lever and the mirror stalk though. It's only at full lock and minor, so I will not worry about it.

This would end that interference. They are slightly convex, so you get a better view behind and to the side and are crystal clear to highly extra-legal speeds. I've had them on my last 4 bikes and now can't ride with any other mirrors.

53144390375_db137e72c5_c.jpg

This would end that interference. They are slightly convex, so you get a better view behind and to the side and are crystal clear to highly extra-legal speeds. I've had them on my last 4 bikes and now can't ride with any other mirrors.

Nice! Got a link? I had some MotoGadget bar end mirrors on my rNineT and loved them. I actually have a spare set, but they are round and won't go with the feel of the RS.

Nice! Got a link? I had some MotoGadget bar end mirrors on my rNineT and loved them. I actually have a spare set, but they are round and won't go with the feel of the RS.

I actually have several...

I got the mirrors from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003RESHVU?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The bar end adapters from Rhino Moto:

https://rhinomoto.com/product/bmw-mirror-mounts/

Those are the ones that fit my bike with the stock "bars." You will have to remove your bar ends to see what the end of your bar looks like. If it has a smaller diameter protrusion sticking out about 10-12mm, this one will fit yours, too. If not, you might want to give them a call. I found them to be very helpful when I was looking for the adapters for my 2013 Street Triple.

The mirror block offs may be a little hard to find. I got them from Revzilla, but they are currently out of stock.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-perch-mirror-adapter-bmw-r1250rs-2019-2022

They are distinct from left to right and have 2 different part numbers.

https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/rearview-mirrors/rearview-adaptors-faring?bike=30380

They are made to allow you to use any bar mounted mirror with a M10 x 1.25 thread (right handed thread on both sides) I might send them to a friend who is a machinist to have the threaded hole milled off, but will wait to do that until I can get a second set. For now I bought plugs (Amazon) and will leave them as is. As they are, I can screw a Ram ball into them and use them as a mount for my Go Pro, if I ever decide to use it again.

53112490098_e9316e8a65_c.jpg

Hope this helps.

When I search the forums there seems to be a dirth of threads/posts concerning the RS. I just know there has to be more members than me and my next door neighbor who ride the RS. Anyone else out there?:dunno

I ride a 2020 R1250RS and love it. I've owned a 2006 K1200GT, a 2010 R1200GS, and a 2013 R1200RT. Bought the RS after taking one for a test ride when my RT was in for its 72K service and couldn't be happier with the switch. My only (minor) complaint is the slight reduction in the size of the side and top cases compared to the RT, so I pack a bit lighter.

As for mods, I recently installed the Cyclops Evolution turn signals front and rear and love the increased visibility. Also bought a set of Helibars handlebar risers but removed them as I liked the stock bar height better.

Mike

A Couple More Little Things...

I added a SW Motech Pro Daypack. I had originally gotten one of the smaller Pro Micro bags and didn't really like it. It may not have been too small, but the top opening of it was. The daypack is just a little bigger and the opening is the full size of the bag, which makes it much easier to put stuff into it and get to it when I need to.

53175162146_bea6452dfe_c.jpg

That's how it sits on the bike with the mounting base pushed right to the back. It's far enough forward that my chest doesn't contact it - a concern for me with some tank bags, because I'm barely 5'5" - and steering goes lock-to-lock with plenty of room for more.

In that picture you can also see my Zumo 396LMT mounted on a Ram ball that mounts to one of the bar riser holes. Between the Ram ball and the GPS is a BRCOVAN double ball arm that uses a security torx bit to attach and I got a ZumoLock to lock the GPS to its mount. That should at least help keep the honest people honest and allow me to leave the GPS on the bike for shorter stops. When I'm not using the GPS, which is most of the time, the only thing left on the bike will be the Ram ball, which is much less of an eyesore than the entire GPS mount.

Since the GPS is not going to be on the bike all the time, I spliced a coiled USB cable onto it and will power it from the accessory socket.

53177336349_9ca1cd5485_c.jpg

Back