• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Who here rides a R1200/1250RS?

Today is the 2nd anniversary of ownership of my RS so I did a quick loop up into the mountains. It was even hot up there; 101 in Jacumba at 10 am! Regardless, I enjoy riding the RS as evidenced with the 16K trouble free miles I've put on it so far. It takes me to the spectacular and the bizarre.

Attachments

• IMG_1453.jpg
    IMG_1453.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 184
  • A347C5F5-8A55-469F-A247-865C24A14EBF.jpg
    A347C5F5-8A55-469F-A247-865C24A14EBF.jpg
    785 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1450.jpg
    IMG_1450.jpg
    614 KB · Views: 187
Thanks BC. The RS will go anywhere paved in style, the owner is still figuring out how to rotate a photo on the forum. 😁

There is a kink in how the forum software looks at a photo if it was taken with an iPhone. A photo taken in “landscape” format will generally post just fine.

OM

They don't. The holes don't line up, and even if they did the plates aren't large enough to completely cover the cutouts in the fairings. The mounts also have a little curve to the base and those covers are flat.

53095138404_3a680536d8_c.jpg

However, I did find these:

default.jpg

https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/rea...adaptors-faring?bike=30380&reference=&colour=

I can send them to a friend who is a machinist to mill them flat then have them anodized or powder coated, or even just wrap them. I'm also thinking of leaving them as they are. I could put plugs in them and that would leave the option of using the left one to mount my GPS on the rare occasion I use it.

Ordered my 23 model in may with some options. Handlebars , tall comfort seat ( not that comfortable and the standard unit is better ) 719 option shadow for foot controls / levers / master cylinder covers .
Changed to a black widow header deleting the cat , and eliminating the exhaust servo motor / flapper . K&N air filter , Akropovic Carbon / Titanium can from a Kawasaki ZRX system full length . Shori Battery , deleted the Navigation , and used its plug to power the TPX radar . Moto Machine light mounts with Alpina fog lights . They proved to be great budget lights lasting 3 years on my Triumph through all weather . I have a GS1200 bash plate over the plastic lower as I do hit fire roads , and light trail to remote areas are planned . Have a Wunderlich tank bag sport coming soon . RS fog lights.jpgBlack Widow ex with GS sump plate.jpgRS from rear.jpgIBA 1500.jpgCrate #2.jpgAkro exhaust from side.jpgRS full Tour.jpgRS with Full exhaust.jpg

I installed my CRG Arrow mirrors and the Puig mirror adapters with plugs this weekend. I also slid on a pair of grip puppies. I gave the Re Grip stuff a try that was suggested in the grip thread. They definitely increased the circumference of the grip, but were just about as hard as the grips themselves. I was going to install my Remus exhaust, but when I pulled it out of the box I heard something rattling around inside the can. Maybe a couple of the stems from the end cap rivets? Maybe a muffler bearing wasn't pressed in properly? ;)

53112190839_4aced28a4e_b.jpg

53112490098_e9316e8a65_b.jpg

I have a couple of friends who are machinists who could mill the adapters flat, but I'm going to leave them as they are. I might be able to use them as mounts for a GoPro or even my GPS. I still haven't had the time to remove the GPS cradle - working too many hours lately.

I installed my CRG Arrow mirrors and the Puig mirror adapters with plugs this weekend. I also slid on a pair of grip puppies. I gave the Re Grip stuff a try that was suggested in the grip thread. They definitely increased the circumference of the grip, but were just about as hard as the grips themselves. I was going to install my Remus exhaust, but when I pulled it out of the box I heard something rattling around inside the can. Maybe a couple of the stems from the end cap rivets? Maybe a muffler bearing wasn't pressed in properly? ;)

53112190839_4aced28a4e_b.jpg

53112490098_e9316e8a65_b.jpg

I have a couple of friends who are machinists who could mill the adapters flat, but I'm going to leave them as they are. I might be able to use them as mounts for a GoPro or even my GPS. I still haven't had the time to remove the GPS cradle - working too many hours lately.

RhinoMoto. I replied to your PM, because I saw it first. If anyone else is interested they are these.

https://rhinomoto.com/product/bmw-mirror-mounts/

They fit over the stubs that extend beyond the ends of the grips.

Some good came in . Bag , bar ends , CRG mirrors .

If you have Factory handle bars like this 2023 you need part # 0272-001 from Rhino moto listed for the S1000XR that uses a M10 x 50 mm x 1.5 thread pitch . Stephan @ Rhino moto was a help with this and will update parts listings soon

tank bag.jpgtank bag 2.jpgtank bag 3.jpgtank bag 4.jpg

Looking good.
BMW has smaller screws for the handlebar clamp for bikes without the GPS Prep mount.
A little over $10 for a set of four.

Thanks. I've been looking around for bolts while I plan to remove my cradle and was just about to go a little crazy and pull the trigger on some titanium ones. I just ordered the stock bolts from https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/ which just happens to be my sort of local dealer. $11.06 for the bolts. Shipping would have almost doubled that, so I'll find time to go for a ride. I could also get stuff for an oil change to make the trip even more worthwhile.*

*I could probably get oil and a filter cheaper online, but I like having a brick and mortar dealer nearby, so I make a habit of buying things from them when doing so won't put too big of a dent into the checkbook.

Brake Pads

Not totally happy with existing the brake pads in my RS. Not enough initial bite for my taste. I've had good results with Vesrah pads previously but would like the opinions of the assembled multitude.

So, what say you?

Edit: 2016 R1200RS

Not totally happy with existing the brake pads in my RS. Not enough initial bite for my taste. I've had good results with Vesrah pads previously but would like the opinions of the assembled multitude.

So, what say you?

Are you using a sintered metallic pad ? The 1250s I've ridden with oem sintered pads have plenty of bite for an aggressive track day

Are you using a sintered metallic pad ? The 1250s I've ridden with oem sintered pads have plenty of bite for an aggressive track day

Thanks for the response. I'm looking for initial bite. The stock pads work well when they get a little heat in them but I'm too impatient to wait the 1-2 seconds it takes for that to occur.

So, what say you?

I was never happy with initial feel of the front brake on my R1200RS or Debbie's R1200RS.
Our R1250RSs are much better and similar to how our K1300Ss felt.
Pretty sure the R1200 and R1250 pads are the same (I didn't check part numbers) . Maybe there was a change in the master cylinder.

Pretty sure the R1200 and R1250 pads are the same (I didn't check part numbers) . Maybe there was a change in the master cylinder.

According to the parts fiche, the pads and master cylinder for both bikes are the same. And such a deal at $600+ for the master cylinder. Makes me happy they're the same 'cause I wouldn't want to have to buy one. :D

I spent some quality time with the bike today. I swapped the exhaust for a Remus Black Hawk, removed the GPS cradle, and wrapped my grips with bicycle grip tape.

The exhaust sounds a little raspy at idle then smooths out. I can't say if it's any louder than stock, and I hope it isn't. I'm more concerned with how it looks and the quality of the sound. It's also about half the weight of the stock can at a little over 6# v. almost 13# for the stocker. Weight is not a concern, though. If I were serious about cutting weight from the rider/bike package, attacking the rider first would be the plan.

Then I set about trying to remove the GPS cradle and wire. That's where I ran into problems, because I started from the wrong end. For anyone who hasn't removed the side bodywork yet and is unclear how to go about it, you start from the front removing the panel with the turnsignal first. 3 bolts, 2 from inside the fairing and 1 outside. Unclip the turn signal wire and it's off. Then you have 3 bolts holding the black piece with the roundel. Remove those and the 5 bolts holding the panel to the side of the fuel tank. Once those bolts are out, the only thing preventing you from removing both the tank side and the black panel is a single clip down by where the turn signal was.

Once I figured it all out, it was pretty easy getting the cradle off, and even with the cradle mounting bolts still in place it still looks a whole bunch better without that giant block of plastic between the bars. I also wrapped my grips with bicycle grip tape. I tried the Re Grip tool handle covers and they were too big and just about as hard as the stock ones. Then I gave Grip Puppies a try. They were a little more squishy, but still too big around for my mitts. The bicycle grip tape gives a bit of squish and my calipers confirmed, the overall diameter with the tape is almost exactly the same as the gel Pro Grips on my other bike.

53128104068_0ea3e5e726_b.jpg

53127833094_9ffc75d565_b.jpg
[/url]

Back