• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Who here rides a R1200/1250RS?

First Oil Change

I changed my oil and filter today. I like to do it about every 3k miles (I was a little late with this one) and consider it cheap insurance.

There is some chatter in this thread about how much oil should go in. Granted, it was started by an R1200RT owner, so maybe the 1250 got a slight oil capacity bump? A quick google search appears to indicate 4l just like the 1250s, but since I read that thread before diving in, I was a little careful. Bottom line, our bikes do take the full 4l.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?104965-4-Litre-BMW-oil-change-2018-RT&highlight=r1250rs

Other notes in case anyone has yet to do this:

- The drain plug uses a 10mm hex and is tightened to 42Nm*
- The filter gets tightened to 11Nm* and thankfully uses the same filter socket as my MkVI GTI
- When removing the filter, oil will drain onto the right header pipe, so best to wrap a little aluminum foil around it to save you some clean up.

*Per the service manual

Peace of mind for the next few months of commuting... :thumb

My GS

Today I added bar risers and ordered some lonerider motobags. Of course it is winter so I’m getting ready to put it up in storage for a few months.

IMG_0041.jpg

I ride an R1200RS !

I have a 2016 with Heli-bars currently 23535 miles.
This pic is August 16 2023 in Cheboygan, Michigan.

Attachments

• 20230816_153421.jpg
    20230816_153421.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 57
So who's doing what to your RS if you've parked it for the winter? I'm planning on adding a Denali split sound bomb horn.
Wow, haven't seen this thread in a while.

I'm planning on adding a split soundbomb, too. I also have some Denali lighting that's been sitting in my garage since before I took delivery of the bike. Working 50+ hours/week and riding just about everyday to/from hasn't left me the time I wanted to do it right. On Tuesday, I switch job sites and hope to finally have the 2-3 day/week retirement job I wanted. That will allow time for some wrenching.

I do......well, soon. I just bought a 2018 R1200R, probably get it delivered next week. Previous BMWs were three air-cooled and two LC R1200GS bikes. Sold my last GS in 2023 and bought a 1989 Vmax project, got it running, traded for a 2004 FJR and traded that in on the 2018 BMW. The Vmax is one crazy fast bike when the V-Boost kicks in, that's the only good thing about it besides looks. The FJR is to heavy. Nothing beats a BMW motorcycle!

R1200R photo is from the sales ad. Buying it form a BMW dealership, 1 owner with full service history, 26K miles.

4.jpg

Nice looking bike even though it's a R and not a RS. Sweet riding bike. While the R/RS is not as powerful as a V-Max but the handling is great.

Nice looking bike even though it's a R and not a RS. Sweet riding bike. While the R/RS is not as powerful as a V-Max but the handling is great.
Oops, I read the thread title to fast and missed the "S" behind the R. Well, they close enough, just the fairing and a higher seat on the RS.

You are correct about the Vmax, really quick acceleration but sketchy handling and brakes. Also, difficult and expensive to works on but it was on my bucket list to own one and drive it for a while. Now I am looking forward to getting back on a BMW again.

Back