• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What would you have done?

My service/dealership is Sandia BMW in Albuquerque, 225 miles North of Las Cruces, NM. A few weeks back I drove up for routine service. On the 450 mile R/T, much of which felt like I was alone on I-25, I passed about 30 other motorcycles going the opposite direction. Every one of them was a HD and every rider gave me a wave. Just sayin'...

Mark

That's wonderful and amazing. In over 300k miles I have once been waved at by a HD rider. I should add that he flew past me on a twisty mountain road.

We're pretty friendly in Southern NM - a big reason I moved back here from the Olympic Peninsula where it was WAY COOLER! but grey and wet 9 months a year and not-so-friendly. As for hog riders, HD is really big 'round here, a consequence perhaps of Barnett's dealership in El Paso and its satellite in Las Cruces. Barnett, briefly also a BMW franchise before letting that go and bringing in Indian, used to be the biggest HD dealership in the nation but was overtaken by the Scottsdale, AZ dealer. Barnett's Las Cruces shop holds a blood drive every couple of months. They move all the display bikes to the perimeter and set up donor tables that fill the showroom and they need 'em all. So I say, good on 'em. Mark

New Mexico from the PNW? I spent the 70's in Northwestern WA where the sun would finally shine after months of wet and I would always say, "When it's a pretty day on Puget Sound it's a pretty day". As far as people being not friendly I guess it depends on perspective. I've never been to New Mexico but have always wanted to go see the place but I'm partial to cool weather and the webs between my toes might protest a bit.

Not to get too far afield here but one thing I have always wondered about is why the attraction to an HD type motorcycle in the first place? I mean I just don't get it. I asked an HD rider this once and he said something like: "If I have to explain it you will never understand". I've given that answer much thought over time and I think he was correct because I don't and won't ever get it. I've always kind of suspected that the attraction was to make up for inadequacies in other rather personal departments if you know what I mean. Then we have the riding costume that's a part of the HD culture. The sounds that emanate from these overweight bad handling under powered contraptions sound like me when I need an overdose of GasEx after eating at a certain kind of restaurant. I've never ridden one of these pride of Milwaukie beasts and from what I've seen I've no desire to, at all, not even a little bit in this or any other lifetime. That about covers it.

I agree many HD riders are into waving as they roar past but won't give you the time of day if you park next to them on the street. I'll be careful to watch where I park in the future.

It was interesting that Consumer Report recently rated HD higher in reliability than BMW but I think BMW is making progress in that department. Shouldn't be too difficult to top HD in the reliability department so I think BMW is more than up to it.

I'm done.... at last.:wave

Last Friday around 11AM I was traveling south on I205 at Portland, OR on my way home to the central Oregon coast after a couple days riding in central and eastern Oregon. I205 is a connector route from I84 to I5 which is the major north south freeway in western Oregon and is mostly 6 lanes three in each direction. I was in a long stream of traffic in the inside lane moving at approximately 75 mph, all three lanes were full up at the time. I noted that there were a group of HD biker types, about 8, in the center lane riding in typical staggered formation with a couple riding side by side a style of riding I never have and never will engage in as I have always viewed this as extremely dangerous. Anyway, as I got alongside this group they one by one began moving into the inside lane in front of and behind me and we, as a group, continued south in a staggered formation which was OK with me and I remember thinking this is maybe good as in strength comes in numbers. Then things rapidly began to go wrong as the HD behind me began coming upon me to my left in my lane while another HD began overtaking me in the center lane to my right in effect squeezing me between them. I immediately hit the brakes getting behind them and moving into center lane myself then into the outside lane in order to escape from these guys. This episode has left a very bad taste in my mouth for HD types in general.

Now, I've always wondered why anybody with a functioning brain would ever ride one of these loud underpowered bad handling pieces of mechanical crap in the first place and now I think i get it. As a group they are probably mostly weak minded and probably sexually inadequate freaks that need to feel superior to something. From now on I will never acknowledge their presence on the road with a friendly wave or ever allow myself to ever be in a situation where I unwittingly fall into a group of them. Not ever again!

Then yesterday I was outside a bakery sitting at a picnic table having a coffee watching the traffic on the coast highway US101 when about 4 HD riders went by heading north with a couple on what was an R1200RT in between them. At first I thought the beemer was with them but it quickly became apparent this was not at all the case as the bikers behind the BMW began crowding the BMW in an attempt to pass in the BMW's lane of travel and this on a two lane road with pretty heavy traffic. The group then rounded a corner and dropped out of my sight.

Long and short is this aggressive behavior has got me wondering why I ride a motorcycle at all. These HD types are painting us all with the same brush in the eyes of the non-riding general public and this just isn't good. Not good at all for any of us.

Wow. So you'll wave to me if I'm on my R1200RT or my Triumph but NOT if I'm on my Heritage Softail or my XR1200...hmmmm. What if I'm on a 5700 mile trip on my BMW but I'm with my son on an HD Ultra and I'm in front- he might think you're waving to him too!!?? Then there's the intelligence and sexual inadequacy thing- does my penis shrink on the Harley? but grow on the other bikes? My lit and MS degrees abandon me on one and not the other?? And the unmitigated nerve of "those HD types painting us with the same brush". That's really annoying!

My my my, how a thread can go astray. The OP described a situation in which a group of thugs engaged in behavior best classified as felony reckless endangerment. They were riding a brand of motorcycles very often associated with "gangs" or "clubs" engaged in the distribution of illegal drugs, prostitution, and human trafficking. Of course not all riders of this brand are associated with such clubs or gangs - that is why they call themselves 1%ers. And waving has nothing to do with the issue of criminal behavior.

...Then things rapidly began to go wrong as the HD behind me began coming upon me to my left in my lane while another HD began overtaking me in the center lane to my right in effect squeezing me between them. I immediately hit the brakes getting behind them and moving into center lane myself then into the outside lane in order to escape from these guys...
My thoughts exactly. How someone can get crucified on this forum for being the victim of illegal and dangerous behaviour is beyond me.

And all because he doesn't feel like waving now...

Chris

I rode all over the country on my Harleys. I like my BMWs. For many the Harley has better curb appeal and for the riding a lot of them do it is more than adequate. However most of the people I see on the road when I travel, I travel a lot, are HDs. When I see HD riders in front of me I always try and pass them. Some don't like it but they can't keep up. Part of the problem is people do not get enough motorcycle training. They would be better and safer riders if they would. I don't see a great mind set change coming so we have to deal with it best as we can. I don't begrudge anyone their choice of motorcycles. I do hate to see poor skills and knowledge.

My service/dealership is Sandia BMW in Albuquerque, 225 miles North of Las Cruces, NM. A few weeks back I drove up for routine service. On the 450 mile R/T, much of which felt like I was alone on I-25, I passed about 30 other motorcycles going the opposite direction. Every one of them was a HD and every rider gave me a wave. Just sayin'...

Mark

I stopped in at Sandia BMW one day to get a new tire during the middle of a trip. Service manager noted the Washington plate on my 11S and asked where I was from. I replied a small town that he’d probably never heard of called Seabeck. He said that he was a UW grad, and knew all about Seabeck, then stated he was from a small Washington town that I’d probably never heard of, called Republic. So, I said, oh you mean the town where my father in law was born? Small world sometimes...

Branding any group with a stereotype is always going to mislabel many or most of them.

When I pass motorcycles, I always treat them just like a car and use another lane to pass. I have occasionally been passed by another motorcycle in my lane and I don't like it much but it doesn't happen often. As far as groups of riders, I always avoid them by either slowing down, or more commonly, speeding up and leaving them behind. They can't force you to ride in the middle of them and I don't.

My thoughts exactly. How someone can get crucified on this forum for being the victim of illegal and dangerous behaviour is beyond me.

And all because he doesn't feel like waving now...

Chris

Hmmm "Crucifixion" hadn't really crossed my mind! wasn't the waving thing either.

Thanks BluewaterCooled:

BlueWaterCooled
Branding any group with a stereotype is always going to mislabel many or most of them.

When I pass motorcycles, I always treat them just like a car and use another lane to pass. I have occasionally been passed by another motorcycle in my lane and I don't like it much but it doesn't happen often. As far as groups of riders, I always avoid them by either slowing down, or more commonly, speeding up and leaving them behind. They can't force you to ride in the middle of them and I don't.

Not everyone

I just completed 2600 miles with 9 HD's, I ride a 1200RT. Respectful, decent, safe and caring. We rode for a charitable cause raising $100k for the Jillian Fund. While we did experience aggressive drivers, riders and truckers, we took care of ourselves, either speeding up or slowing down to move out of a potentially dangerous situation. We were a group of motorcyclists enjoying the open road. The bikes we rode were immaterial to the group dynamic, the comraderie and the experience.

In all walks of life there are those that either purposefully or unknowingly impact others - mostly for good but there is always the bad, so to group all HD riders based on an isolated incident isn't fair. I have seen my share of ignorant and disrespectful BMW riders yet I know they are the small minority.

Everyone has the ability to choose, some of us choose the BMW way others just haven't got there yet.

Wow. So you'll wave to me if I'm on my R1200RT or my Triumph but NOT if I'm on my Heritage Softail or my XR1200...hmmmm. What if I'm on a 5700 mile trip on my BMW but I'm with my son on an HD Ultra and I'm in front- he might think you're waving to him too!!?? Then there's the intelligence and sexual inadequacy thing- does my penis shrink on the Harley? but grow on the other bikes? My lit and MS degrees abandon me on one and not the other?? And the unmitigated nerve of "those HD types painting us with the same brush". That's really annoying!

Morning Rick, Nope, not going to wave at you if you're on your Hogley Ferguson. As far as your pee pee shrinking when you're on your Hogley you never know..it might. I mean what with all that racket the poor thing probably wants to go into hiding and never mind the exhaust fumes.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Long and short is a few days have passed and I'm feeling much better now and I've learned to be a bit more careful and selective whilst traveling the highways and bi-ways of life. Namely, avoid Hogleys at all cost. As far as the waving thing goes not ready to go there and probably not any time soon. To wave is to indicate a degree of camaraderie which I don't feel toward those that choose to ride the HD marque, sorry but that's just me. Oh, and if you're on your beemer I'll be happy to give you a wave. See, I'm not such a bad guy.:brad

Oh, wife says hi she being from Rochester, NY.

Morning Rick, Nope, not going to wave at you if you're on your Hogley Ferguson. As far as your pee pee shrinking when you're on your Hogley you never know..it might. I mean what with all that racket the poor thing probably wants to go into hiding and never mind the exhaust fumes.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Long and short is a few days have passed and I'm feeling much better now and I've learned to be a bit more careful and selective whilst traveling the highways and bi-ways of life. Namely, avoid Hogleys at all cost. As far as the waving thing goes not ready to go there and probably not any time soon. To wave is to indicate a degree of camaraderie which I don't feel toward those that choose to ride the HD marque, sorry but that's just me. Oh, and if you're on your beemer I'll be happy to give you a wave. See, I'm not such a bad guy.:brad

Oh, wife says hi she being from Rochester, NY.

Hi James,
So I'll be sure to ride my BMTroubleyou if I ever see you on the road, because as we all know "the wave" is the MOST important part of motorcycling. RE: that other thing...actually the vibrations of that Hardly Ableson are kinda nice...ohhh what's that? hello!

You did get my umbrage up! I was always a never-harley guy, loud black harleys being ubiquitous around here ("oh look, another harley [yawn])...then I got the XR (loud, fast, fun, different and with some suspension modding- capable...after that I decided I needed a "cruiser" in my stable-had the vintage Triumph Thunderbird the perfect touring R1200RT and the rebel appealing XR1200. Well the Heritage Softail is perfect at what itr is- iconic (Started in 1903-8 years before BMW) retro technology (air-cooled v-twin) comfortable (yes!) and easy to maintain (someone here cited it's lower maintenance issues than BMW) SOOO this "well educated, euro-bike, never Harley guy couldn't deny the rightful place of Harley in the motorcycle world! (Oh it's not black- white morocco gold)

The "wave" thing was totally irrelevant to me but symbolic of a broad brush..."all". My son is a college professor, professional musician (Playing in Rochester tonight BTW!) and took his Ultra with me on the wethead on a 5700 mile tour of the country a few weeks ago- he is a better rider than I, also is building a CB750 chopper (1978-last year of SOHC) and has a Bonnie and KLR (His favorite of all of them) his riding style doesn't even remotely resemble the incident you described. A friend who serves on the NYS supreme court rode a Harley as well as several other well groomed, well-heeled, well-educated friends of mine. I realize that anecdote is not statistic and it cuts both ways so neither of us has factual advantage by citing A-holes or A-listers riding HD's well or badly; but once someone says "all" then anecdote becomes rhetorically relevant!

My response didn't take into account that you were justifiably upset and turned to this (sympathetic) group to vent and instead of relating to the feeling, I focused on your immediate take away- rather sarcastically I confess- and for that I apologize. I love motorcycles (started riding late in life (my fifties- 72 now) and I really don't care what you ride- if you "get it" then we share some emotional space- maybe slight maybe broad...If you're ever in Cooperstown stop by for some espresso- maybe I'll let you sit on my vibrator...I mean my harley!!LOL

Hi to Mrs. Rochester- great city!

Morning again Rick and no problem.:) To tell you the truth the heritage edition is my favorite HD and has been for some time. Guy in town owns a beautiful light green and cream colored heritage with wide white wall tires that I occasionally see parked in old town and it does sound sweet! I agree with you when you say it matters not to you what someone else rides. I've been thinking about renting an HD for a day just to say I've ridden one just never have got around to it. I'll take a pass on the costume though. lol..lol

Wife lived in Rochester most of her life and retired from Kodak. We met up about 20 years ago in Montana then moved to OR me being a native of the place. I like upstate NY a lot but jeez, the taxes!! That and the road salt:dunno

blah blah blah

Blah blah blah. Hooligans will be hooligans, no matter what they're riding. Sucks to be you when it happens (I've been there).

I've been swarmed by urban dirt bike riders while I was on a nice, loud Harley. I've been swarmed by female sport bike riders, again, while I was on my nice, loud Harley. I've been made fun of by Harley riders while I've been on my Triumph. Someone recently referred to my BMW RT as a "moped." I haven't been swarmed (yet) on my BMW, but I'm sure the day will come.

I will say this, though: some people who purchase a Harley get the impression that they have to pretend to be "real bikers" (thugs) while they're riding it. Then the next day go to their I.T. job, pay their taxes, vote in town meeting, join the school board and say "yes sir no sir" to the law enforcement officer as he writes them up for speeding. A very silly masquerade.

Morning again Rick and no problem.:) To tell you the truth the heritage edition is my favorite HD and has been for some time. Guy in town owns a beautiful light green and cream colored heritage with wide white wall tires that I occasionally see parked in old town and it does sound sweet! I agree with you when you say it matters not to you what someone else rides. I've been thinking about renting an HD for a day just to say I've ridden one just never have got around to it. I'll take a pass on the costume though. lol..lol

Wife lived in Rochester most of her life and retired from Kodak. We met up about 20 years ago in Montana then moved to OR me being a native of the place. I like upstate NY a lot but jeez, the taxes!! That and the road salt:dunno

Taxes and road salt!! don't get me started- but yup, that about sums it up!

...and to tell YOU the truth, even though BMW riders are characterized as over dressed stuck-up Starbucks slurpers on the Harley forums , the HD crowd seems more self absorbed on the road- though at a stop, when confronted (in a good way!) they open up- one even complimented my F6B Honda when I had it!!!

Blah blah blah. Hooligans will be hooligans, no matter what they're riding. Sucks to be you when it happens (I've been there).

I've been swarmed by urban dirt bike riders while I was on a nice, loud Harley. I've been swarmed by female sport bike riders, again, while I was on my nice, loud Harley. I've been made fun of by Harley riders while I've been on my Triumph. Someone recently referred to my BMW RT as a "moped." I haven't been swarmed (yet) on my BMW, but I'm sure the day will come.

I will say this, though: some people who purchase a Harley get the impression that they have to pretend to be "real bikers" (thugs) while they're riding it. Then the next day go to their I.T. job, pay their taxes, vote in town meeting, join the school board and say "yes sir no sir" to the law enforcement officer as he writes them up for speeding. A very silly masquerade.

Well yes, I suppose. However, what club that predominantly rides Hondas or Kawasakis or BMWs has been the subject of RICO convictions, or has engaged in an armed shootout like happened at the restaurant in Waco? Despite platitudes to the contrary, we are not all brothers and sisters just because we ride two wheels.

Well yes, I suppose. However, what club that predominantly rides Hondas or Kawasakis or BMWs has been the subject of RICO convictions, or has engaged in an armed shootout like happened at the restaurant in Waco? Despite platitudes to the contrary, we are not all brothers and sisters just because we ride two wheels.

Margate
https://vimeo.com/95505184

"Are you a Mod or a Rocker
Ringo: I'm a Mocker

Here's an hour long documentary- pretty interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miiopvQDP3M

Back