• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What would you have done?

jammess

Jammess
Last Friday around 11AM I was traveling south on I205 at Portland, OR on my way home to the central Oregon coast after a couple days riding in central and eastern Oregon. I205 is a connector route from I84 to I5 which is the major north south freeway in western Oregon and is mostly 6 lanes three in each direction. I was in a long stream of traffic in the inside lane moving at approximately 75 mph, all three lanes were full up at the time. I noted that there were a group of HD biker types, about 8, in the center lane riding in typical staggered formation with a couple riding side by side a style of riding I never have and never will engage in as I have always viewed this as extremely dangerous. Anyway, as I got alongside this group they one by one began moving into the inside lane in front of and behind me and we, as a group, continued south in a staggered formation which was OK with me and I remember thinking this is maybe good as in strength comes in numbers. Then things rapidly began to go wrong as the HD behind me began coming upon me to my left in my lane while another HD began overtaking me in the center lane to my right in effect squeezing me between them. I immediately hit the brakes getting behind them and moving into center lane myself then into the outside lane in order to escape from these guys. This episode has left a very bad taste in my mouth for HD types in general.

Now, I've always wondered why anybody with a functioning brain would ever ride one of these loud underpowered bad handling pieces of mechanical crap in the first place and now I think i get it. As a group they are probably mostly weak minded and probably sexually inadequate freaks that need to feel superior to something. From now on I will never acknowledge their presence on the road with a friendly wave or ever allow myself to ever be in a situation where I unwittingly fall into a group of them. Not ever again!

Then yesterday I was outside a bakery sitting at a picnic table having a coffee watching the traffic on the coast highway US101 when about 4 HD riders went by heading north with a couple on what was an R1200RT in between them. At first I thought the beemer was with them but it quickly became apparent this was not at all the case as the bikers behind the BMW began crowding the BMW in an attempt to pass in the BMW's lane of travel and this on a two lane road with pretty heavy traffic. The group then rounded a corner and dropped out of my sight.

Long and short is this aggressive behavior has got me wondering why I ride a motorcycle at all. These HD types are painting us all with the same brush in the eyes of the non-riding general public and this just isn't good. Not good at all for any of us.

I feel for you. Though I think that kind of behaviour is not limited to HD riders.

I was traveling north on I-405 when two sport bike riders came moving up between the cars. Traffic was heavy and moving at about 65 mph. The first one caught me by surprise, passing me within my lane. If I'd have moved any to avoid an obstacle in my lane, I'd have hit him. The second rider started to do the same thing, and I moved over enough to make him ride on the shoulder to pass me. As he got in front of me, he pointed to the ground as if to say I was supposed to stay put where I was like any good pylon on his personal racetrack would. Then in the midst of all this traffic, he pops a wheelie and races off to catch his buddy.

As much as I like riding in the summer, I actually like it when it is raining and the temps are about 37F. Jerks like that aren't on the road in those conditions, and anyone I see riding, probably knows what they are doing.

As for what to do...there probably isn't a good answer. If they are going to be jerks, let them and get out of their way. Try to keep your cool, because the only one who will be upset in that encounter, is you. It's not worth it to let it fester inside you. I guarantee, it isn't bothering them.

Chris

Personally I wouldn't paint all Harley riders with the same brush but you did run into some jerks. Example being here in Pennsylvania we are required to have our bikes state inspected once a year. I just recently purchased a 2018 GS in Ohio and had to get the bike inspected here in PA. The garage that used to do my inspections closed up, and a friend of mine mentioned a private shop who does the inspections. I was hesitant as this guy specialized in Harleys. Well I stopped by last Thursday for the inspection, and about 5 Harley Riders came out and checked out my GS. To my amazement they were all very complimentary of the GS and were very impressed with the bike. When I was getting ready to leave an old timer pulled in on his trike, when I said "Hello" he just gave me a look and walked into the shop. But then I have experienced the same thing a few times being on my Ultra from BMW riders. My feeling is if you're on 2 wheels we all share the same passion even if its a different badge on the bike.

Not good at all for any of us.

Well, for you anyway.

You're using some pretty broad brush strokes to paint a whole segment of the riding public with a particular riding style/attitude. Heck, I could say the same of Volvo drivers. :laugh

If you don't like the way a certain group rides then stay away from them. Who knows, they may be thinking the same thing of you.

If you don't like the way a certain group rides then stay away from them. Who knows, they may be thinking the same thing of you.

The point being made here is the rider had no choice and was not easily able to get away from them.

I agree that there are some folks on the road that present an poor image and unacceptable risk in my way of thinking. There are a lot more that I'd have no issue with. Anyway, don't let them get you spun up. Ride your ride, stay safe, be a good example and let the folks in the cars figure out who's who. Ride easy.

There are two groups of riders. Motorcyclists and bikers, and motorcyclists can be on any brand bike and don't behave like bikers. They don't care what you or anyone else rides and will wave or stop to help when needed. Bikers on the other hand are brand snobs who only see their own kind and ignore everyone that doesn't fall within their perception of what a 'biker' should be.
I have seen it with all brands incl. BMW's .YMMV

To answer the question, it is best to just get out of their way and live to ride another day...

I’ve never run into potentially “aggressive” behaviour but where Ilive ost of the cruiser crowd are not at all good riders, big groups no staggered formation etc. Whenever I come across almost any cruiser at home I get by them as quick as I can and keep on riding. I’ll be riding across the continent starting next week so we’ll see what I run into. :ca

I should also say that these HD riders were not riding chopper type HDs they were Road King style motorcycles that weren't particularly noisy.

last Thursday night I stayed in the small high desert town of Condon, OR and had a great meal at the Elks where I met and conversed with some of the friendliest down to earth people I've ever met. Several of them invited me over to their table and we talked for several hours. They even offered to pay for my meal, just great people. Anyway, in the course of the conversation it was mentioned that the town was being frequented by members of the somewhat notorious Gypsy Joker Motorcycle Club which has left a somewhat sour taste in the mouths of some residents which imo is understandable. Point being these guys are painting all of us with the same contaminated brush. It gives me pleasure to read articles about HD and the company's declining sales.

Oh, if you have never been to the high desert in Central Oregon north of Madras you should go especially on a clear day with unlimited visibility. You can see Cascade mountain peaks from Mt. Baker in Northern Washington to the Three Sisters in Central Oregon west of the town of Bend. This is easily unlimited 100 mile visibility. If I died and went to heaven it would be on the high plateau. I have been riding in this area for over 40 years and never get tired of it. One thing to be aware of when riding this area is keep an eye on your fuel as many gas stations have closed in Eastern Oregon as the population has generally been declining in recent years.

I should also say that these HD riders were not riding chopper type HDs they were Road King style motorcycles that weren't particularly noisy.

last Thursday night I stayed in the small high desert town of Condon, OR and had a great meal at the Elks where I met and conversed with some of the friendliest down to earth people I've ever met. Several of them invited me over to their table and we talked for several hours. They even offered to pay for my meal, just great people. Anyway, in the course of the conversation it was mentioned that the town was being frequented by members of the somewhat notorious Gypsy Joker Motorcycle Club which has left a somewhat sour taste in the mouths of some residents which imo is understandable. Point being these guys are painting all of us with the same contaminated brush. It gives me pleasure to read articles about HD and the company's declining sales.

Oh, if you have never been to the high desert in Central Oregon north of Madras you should go especially on a clear day with unlimited visibility. You can see Cascade mountain peaks from Mt. Baker in Northern Washington to the Three Sisters in Central Oregon west of the town of Bend. This is easily unlimited 100 mile visibility. If I died and went to heaven it would be on the high plateau. I have been riding in this area for over 40 years and never get tired of it. One thing to be aware of when riding this area is keep an eye on your fuel as many gas stations have closed in Eastern Oregon as the population has generally been declining in recent years.

Don't be telling people how beautiful it is...we don't need more folks moving here! :)

Sorry for your experience with the Harley riders. Over 50 years of riding, I've had good experiences and bad ones so I don't think it's fair to paint every Harley rider with the same brush. Having said that, if I'm out riding and I do come across a Harley "posse", I let my wrist do the talking and just leave them. I've never yet seen a Harley that had any chance of keeping up with an R1200RT.

Now, I've always wondered why anybody with a functioning brain would ever ride one of these loud underpowered bad handling pieces of mechanical crap in the first place and now I think i get it. As a group they are probably mostly weak minded and probably sexually inadequate freaks that need to feel superior to something. From now on I will never acknowledge their presence on the road with a friendly wave or ever allow myself to ever be in a situation where I unwittingly fall into a group of them. Not ever again!
:eek
I’m pretty sure Harley still has about half the US market. Being PO’d at half the motorcycle owners sounds like a lot of work. :dunno
OM

Darwin Awards

This type of discussion always makes think of the Darwin Awards, and what % of HD riders wear Sergeant Schultz helmets versus what % BMW riders wear full face helmets.....

Sorry this happened to you. I am not a big fan of the cruiser crowd in general, with HD making up a big part of that group. I know it isn't possible to always avoid them, but I do whenever I can. I also would ride 100 miles or farther to avoid an Interstate like this! I live in the Boonies, and glad of it, so things like this aren't a common occurrence. I'd stay away from them, especially large groups of them. When I meet a group of them wobbling towards me on the highway, I move W-A-Y over towards the shoulder and I don't wave either. If this offends them....GOOD! Everyone who rides a cruiser or HD does not fit into this Neanderthal group, but a lot of them do and they do give all motorcyclist a bad name.

Well, for you anyway.

You're using some pretty broad brush strokes to paint a whole segment of the riding public with a particular riding style/attitude. Heck, I could say the same of Volvo drivers. :laugh

What’s this about Volvo drivers? :)

Attachments

• C07612B2-B536-42E2-A449-F3BDEDFA1A79.jpg
    C07612B2-B536-42E2-A449-F3BDEDFA1A79.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 341
Don't be telling people how beautiful it is...we don't need more folks moving here! :)

Sorry for your experience with the Harley riders. Over 50 years of riding, I've had good experiences and bad ones so I don't think it's fair to paint every Harley rider with the same brush. Having said that, if I'm out riding and I do come across a Harley "posse", I let my wrist do the talking and just leave them. I've never yet seen a Harley that had any chance of keeping up with an R1200RT.

Whilst on a loading dock for a Puget Sound ferry ride, we were given the start ‘em up signal by the dock worker. Guy on a Harley next to me leaned over and asked if my bike (R1100S) was running yet. I smiled, looked him in the eye with a smile on my face, and said, “try to keep up when we get off the boat!” He laughed and gave me a high five. I’ve had some less than optimal experiences with a few Harley dudes, but ya never know. :)

I've never been overtaken by a pirate parade on any brand; if I see them coming up behind me I either roll on to stay in front or pull over if there is a point of interest nearby. Too many of those group riders seem to feel the road between the first and last bikes is their sovereign turf, and I don't play that game. Their aggression is not my burden.

As for Harley, I get my state inspection at my local HD dealer and also buy cleaning supplies from them. Great people. Our local BMW dealer on the other hand, is Lord Farquaad, a pompous ass.

On the road in faraway places the long distance riders I've met were great folks, regardless of the brand they were riding.

Pete

lol..lol..How funny:brad I can definitely see your point especially after riding through Bend the other day and to think I once wanted to retire there but that was when Bend only had one stop light by the Safeway store and Redmond was just a sleepy little town with nothing in between it and Bend.

I know it's bad to paint all HD types with one brush but on the other hand when was the last time anybody was ever harassed by a group of folks on BMWs? In the future I'm going to avoid and keep maximum distance between me and the HD riders. Should be no problem with either one of my bikes.

Every summer Florence has an event called Rhody (rhododendron) Weekend and the town is inundated with HDs. This year we had members of not only Gypsy Jokers but also the Bandidos. Bay Street through old town is closed to everything but motorcycles on Saturday night. You won't find any BMWs or FJRs in attendance and I think for good reason unless you want to spend your time standing guard over your motorcycle. The unburned gasoline fumes and racket is just unbelievable! We pretty much stay home maybe take in the old car show.

It really bothers me to hear that these infamous motorcycle gangs are roaming around the eastern part of the state. I have always loved Eastern Oregon with its open and empty roads with diverse scenery like you wouldn't believe. At least once a year for over 40 years I've managed to take at least a week and head over that way just to get my head on straight. When I was a kid we used to go hunting over there every year, just fantastic country. Oops, I better shut up.:)

lol..lol..How funny:brad I can definitely see your point especially after riding through Bend the other day and to think I once wanted to retire there but that was when Bend only had one stop light by the Safeway store and Redmond was just a sleepy little town with nothing in between it and Bend.

I know it's bad to paint all HD types with one brush but on the other hand when was the last time anybody was ever harassed by a group of folks on BMWs? In the future I'm going to avoid and keep maximum distance between me and the HD riders. Should be no problem with either one of my bikes.

Every summer Florence has an event called Rhody (rhododendron) Weekend and the town is inundated with HDs. This year we had members of not only Gypsy Jokers but also the Bandidos. Bay Street through old town is closed to everything but motorcycles on Saturday night. You won't find any BMWs or FJRs in attendance and I think for good reason unless you want to spend your time standing guard over your motorcycle. The unburned gasoline fumes and racket is just unbelievable! We pretty much stay home maybe take in the old car show.

It really bothers me to hear that these infamous motorcycle gangs are roaming around the eastern part of the state. I have always loved Eastern Oregon with its open and empty roads with diverse scenery like you wouldn't believe. At least once a year for over 40 years I've managed to take at least a week and head over that way just to get my head on straight. When I was a kid we used to go hunting over there every year, just fantastic country. Oops, I better shut up.:)

There you go again....LMAO.

You also live in a very nice part of the state...I love the Florence area with all the beautiful views of the ocean. Nice riding there as well.

On the road in faraway places the long distance riders I've met were great folks, regardless of the brand they were riding.

Pete

My service/dealership is Sandia BMW in Albuquerque, 225 miles North of Las Cruces, NM. A few weeks back I drove up for routine service. On the 450 mile R/T, much of which felt like I was alone on I-25, I passed about 30 other motorcycles going the opposite direction. Every one of them was a HD and every rider gave me a wave. Just sayin'...

Mark

Back